Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WhoIs Privacy on Domains from the Godaddy Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have 30 or so domains I bought on the cheap from the Godaddy auction over the last few weeks, usually purchased right before they were deleted.

Now - for Privacy Protection, I'm spoiled by the fact that I usually get it for free at least for the first year when I register new domains in my namecheap account.

Godaddy wants to charge me $9.99/domain for the Identity Protection. Can't move those domains from GoDaddy to namecheap for a while either.

Should I just pay up? That will add up ...

Or did I miss a step somewhere along the way in the auction process, where I could have gotten the WhoIs protection for free or for less?

Or would you recommend setting up a separate godaddy account with semi-bogus info?

Thanks!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can do the whois privacy yourself:
  • Generic/Corporate holder name like Domain Administrator
  • P.O. box
  • Virtual phone number (skype etc)
It pays off if you have many domains.
I don't know why there are people paying so much at godaddy for privacy that isn't even worth anything.

D

Deleted member 5660

Anyone can get PO box info by submitting a FOIA request, Use a private mailbox service

FragrantDomains

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There might be a free whois privacy code to enter, but I'm not sure it work when you purchase the domain from godaddy auctions. I only used it with renewals.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for what is worth, gd privacy (outright theft at $9.99 and even at $5.99 for well known reasons i won't get into) does one good thing if nothing else, it protects your names against being trasferred out of there by some thief, ie when you have gd privacy you're required to set up a dbp (domains by proxy, owned by gd) acct, and hopefully i'm smart enough not to use the same password as gd, and names cannot be transferred out of gd unless and until you remove privacy which would make it way more difficult for any scammer - they'd have to gain access to the gd acct, your email add (for the auth code) AND the dbp acct.....

you get free privacy only when you reg (or transfer to gd) 5 or more names at the same time and i think any coupon for free privacy is supposed to work for for one single name at reg and those expire real quick, but not for renewals in the cases i've tried (not sure about transfers, it should work) and i totally feel privacy should be completely free at gd for regs/trans, or at least make it a lot cheaper

another way to keep your gd names secure against being moved out of there is to keep altering your full name or co name such as adding/deleting a middle intial every 2 mos, or abbreviate/expand any co name, the purpose is to trigger their now infamous 60-day registrar lock after a domain changes registrant, even thru a simple gd push, but it also rolls over to a new 60-day lock period if you as much as alter one letter in your name, or your co name, we all hate it and i don't understand how they're the only ones to get away w/this, but here you have another way to secure your names if you must have them w/gd (i was once sent an email w/a stiff penalty by gd on behalf of icann for a domain i got on ebay which the seller pushed to me manually at gd but entered a fake name, add, ph for me, i'm not familiar w/the alternative given in katherine's suggestion but it sounds great so if that's indeed allowed we should try that)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why bother with Godaddy privacy protection for any price when you get it for FREE at Moniker or Fabulous?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unless this is some new thing (last couple of days) privacy at moniker isn't free, it is $4 and it only goes down to $2 if you maintain $100 in your acct, although i am told this requirement has gone down to only $50 given the # of customers they've been losing and they'll lose many more if they keep charging $6 for url fwding and $6 for email fwding, giving free privacy to new regs/trans would really help them.......

even if now privacy is free at fabulous most people don't qualify for their monetization program, i did not, and while i hear that now actually anyone can open a regular acct there most people i know just use them to accept a push from a seller that had a name there and then they leave given the outrageous reg/ren/tran fees they charge non-monetization customers, $29.99 for all 3 last i checked......

Why bother with Godaddy privacy protection for any price when you get it for FREE at Moniker or Fabulous?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
unless this is some new thing (last couple of days) privacy at moniker isn't free, it is $4 and it only goes down to $2 if you maintain $100 in your acct, although i am told this requirement has gone down to only $50 given the # of customers they've been losing and they'll lose many more if they keep charging $6 for url fwding and $6 for email fwding, giving free privacy to new regs/trans would really help them.......

even if now privacy is free at fabulous most people don't qualify for their monetization program, i did not, and while i hear that now actually anyone can open a regular acct there most people i know just use them to accept a push from a seller that had a name there and then they leave given the outrageous reg/ren/tran fees they charge non-monetization customers, $29.99 for all 3 last i checked......

Thank you for correcting me on Moniker, I wasn't aware they began charging for PP.. As for Fabulous, I use them and know for a fact they don't charge for the service. And I'm not sure what you mean by outrageous pricing, they have some of the lowest prices in the industry, They use tier pricing, the more domains you have with them, the less the reg fees.

You can see for yourself here; http://fabulous.com/informationcenter/index.htm?formdata[qid]=1317

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

4 words are enough :eek:k:

Not a big fan of GD either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom