Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Whois Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I've noticed a large increase of whois spam.

I just got some spam for a website that is apparently selling whois database information. So, since I got the spam message, I can only assume they will be selling my email address aswell. Isn't it illegal to sell the whois database information?. The site is www.promotionsite.net

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just recycle your emails often.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
I don't know about you, but I've noticed a large increase of whois spam. I just got some spam for a website that is apparently selling whois database information. So, since I got the spam message, I can only assume they will be selling my email address aswell. Isn't it illegal to sell the whois database information?. The site is www.promotionsite.net
Depends on who you talk to. Some members here have different opinions on the issue. I always thought the answer would be "no". From the acceptable usage of Whois data to the very diffinition of UCE, it would seem everything is debatable and relative. :: shrug :: :dead:

~ Nexus

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Just recycle your emails often.

That wouldn't expose all your email addresses to the spammers?

I would like to know what else we (registrants, NOT regsitrars) can do to reduce the whois spam? Any other ideas?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Peace said:
That wouldn't expose all your email addresses to the spammers?

I would like to know what else we (registrants, NOT regsitrars) can do to reduce the whois spam? Any other ideas?

If you get decent web hosting you can add/remove/block emails at will.

mydn

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So registers have a feature for whoisguard and i use that alot for my domains!

It makes all you infomation and domain invisable to the whois! :wink:

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
If you get decent web hosting you can add/remove/block emails at will.

Good idea, and i do that too...but the Spam filters sometimes block the important emails too...especially those from GoDaddy

Also, recycling emails don't work well for me because i have a master account with catch all feature enabled...so I will get the emails even after I delete the email accounts

bellweather

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can never get rid of spam :( You can enable strong filters but risk losing valid emails.. Its a no win solution :(

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Peace said:
Also, recycling emails don't work well for me because i have a master account with catch all feature enabled...so I will get the emails even after I delete the email accounts
TURN OFF the "catch-all". I used to love it, but its now intolerable. Worth the loss. Create e-mail aliases for each name you "hand-out" to Whois outlets... put on websites, etc. TRACK what is happening with the e-mail from each of these outlets. I can actually tell HOW spammers got my address from the different e-mail aliases I seed into different places. I have a general one I give out to certain forums, one for my whois listings, one for the different services or mailing lists I use, one for newsgroups, etc. Eventually, if an alias gets "corrupted" with spam, I shut it off, and create a new reference for that purpose. They all point to my MAIN address. While this takes a little work everytime I go to give out an address, it feels well worth it to me that I can actually TAKE BACK my e-mail address, if it is abused. I simply delete the alias, and the problem is solved.

~ Nexus

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
applying whois guard and the like reduces sales possibilities, as legit buyers have a harder time contacting you...

there is one solution that I first read about in this forum about a year ago.

It actually works, i tried it and quiet a few domains for a while and never received a single spam.
However, it does have a down side.
Altough it wont make buyers unable to reach you, it might make them more hesitant to contact you.

Use an email such as [email protected] as your main whois email.
setup that email to forward to your main account.
You'll be amazed. Spammers avoid 'abuse' emails like the plague.
Like I said, it might make a buyer a little worried about sending you a purchase request because he might think you dont want to be bothered, but you can place a 'this domain for sale' somewhere in the adrress field of your whois, which helps :)

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
I've received about 5-10K of spams in the last 8 months.

I was getting that much about every 5-10 days, but then I had a lot of email addresses. I recently combined them so spam sent to 25-50 of the addresses all showed up as only one message instead of the 25-50 it used to be, so my total has gone way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom