Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Who's the Idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bid on a auction.

Let's say the current bid is $5. Well I bid $75. And my $5 is high bid. This other bidder bids $6. Well, my proxy bid makes it $7. Then he waits for all the time to near elapse and bids $8, my proxy makes it $9. Then he waits for all time to wind down and bids $1 above it again. Does the idiot not understand I have a proxy bid that is well above the minimum increment he is bidding. Why wait for it to wind down each time and then bid. If he's trying to frustrate me it is working, but it doesn't matter because my proxy bid is so much higher, it's not like I have to keep bidding the minimum increment like this cheap bastard.

Last edited:

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I call them "nibblers" and man are they annoying and cost me a lot of money over the years. Wherever possible, I just wait until the last few seconds now to put in my max bid and be done with it. Proxy bidding kind of sucks sometimes. With auto-extend it really gets annoying.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Annoying is an understatement. But I don't get the rationale. It is auto-extend. So the only thing they are doing is costing themselves time by sitting there and bidding the minimum against a proxy bid. Why wait another few minutes to increase by the minimum just to be auto-outbid by my proxy. People who do this have no life.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Once I spent 2 1/2 hours bidding/counter-bidding on Sedo, but the auction was in the low $x,xxx. Finally the other party gave up :D

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I could understand what he is doing if I was sitting there and then counter bidding. But my proxy bid is well above the current bid, so what he is doing has absolutely no benefit to him. Only possible thing I can think of (besides him being mentally moronic) is that it is a bot that is autobidding the minimum increment as time winds down.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This has cost us all money at somepoint... but the other bidder doesn't know your max proxy...

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
happens all the time...

some sites don't reset the time unless the high bidder is changed/overtaken ...your proxy bid would be good if time runs out before he over bids you. I like this feature it makes the bidder step up. Sometimes I wonder about these proxy bids though and getting bid up by someone on the inside. (not mentioning any sites..just saying I suspected a few times this has happened) :( at least it feels that way ...good reason for not having blind auctions.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This has cost us all money at somepoint... but the other bidder doesn't know your max proxy...

Understood, but he is bidding the minimum increment which my proxy automatically trumps, his bid adds 3 minutes to the auction, then he waits for 2+ minutes to go by and bids the minimum again. Why wait the 2+ minutes each time? That is the part that makes no sense.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

some sites the bidder can actually tell there is a higher proxy bid and people run them up....I never use a proxy bid for that reason.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Understood, but he is bidding the minimum increment which my proxy automatically trumps, his bid adds 3 minutes to the auction, then he waits for 2+ minutes to go by and bids the minimum again. Why wait the 2+ minutes each time? That is the part that makes no sense.

They may feel they are close, and they are using this strategy to pay the least amount possible. Buyers are from all over the world now, and do not share the same logical sense.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
some sites the bidder can actually tell there is a higher proxy bid and people run them up....I never use a proxy bid for that reason.

He'd have to be brainless not to know mine is a proxy bid. Once he bids my proxy tops his bid that millisecond. So he knows it is a proxy, but he's still dragging it out as long as he possibly can.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He'd have to be brainless not to know mine is a proxy bid. Once he bids my proxy tops his bid that millisecond. So he knows it is a proxy, but he's still dragging it out as long as he possibly can.

Thats the reason why no time should be added to the auction unless the top bidder changes. that would solve your problem of nibbles.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Even when the "nibble" step is not bucks but, say, $100 I've been in many auctions where the other bidder "waits" until the last few seconds to up their bid, just to give you a hard time :D

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel like im on a confession meeting. "Hello my name is M. Unal and I am a nibbler." :)

Joke a side, I don't know why others do it, but the reason I do it sometimes is really very simple.

Sometimes when I come home, one of the first thing I do is open GoDaddy Auction, Sedo Auction and such, to see if there is any domain names in auction that are worth buying.

If I find anything interesting and if I don't know if the domain is worth to buy, I bid the lowest bid allowed to extend the auction, so I have time to do due diligence on the domain name and I wait to last second to do it again, if I am not done doing due diligence.

At this point it doesn't matter if the opponent bid is a proxy bid or not, the whole reason is to extend the auction to have time researching the domain name.

Maybe I was the one doing it to you Barry, sorry for that. :) But I can't promise not to do it again.

Best regards,

M. Unal
CEO of diCEPT ApS Ltd.
Digital Concept Development

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bid on a auction.

Let's say the current bid is $5. Well I bid $75. And my $5 is high bid. This other bidder bids $6. Well, my proxy bid makes it $7. Then he waits for all the time to near elapse and bids $8, my proxy makes it $9. Then he waits for all time to wind down and bids $1 above it again. Does the idiot not understand I have a proxy bid that is well above the minimum increment he is bidding. Why wait for it to wind down each time and then bid. If he's trying to frustrate me it is working, but it doesn't matter because my proxy bid is so much higher, it's not like I have to keep bidding the minimum increment like this cheap bastard.

That other guy that did the bidding against you, one that annoyed you was me. lol

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So which domain was it?

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think the domain he is talking about was... nibbler.me :pound: lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom