Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why are there so many spammers in the domain industry ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, another thread about domain spam :)

No later that yesterday I received a spam from Parkingcrew.
Spam which in fact was unnecessary and counterproductive. If you're a domainer it's likely that you have heard about Parkingcrew one way or the other. Now they blew their reputation with me.

To be clear, I'm not taking offense at one single, isolated spam.
It is the accumulation of spam and the pattern of spamming in the domain industry that is putting a bad taste in my mouth.
Looks like a disproportionate number of 'industry players' indulge in spamming, it's just a way of doing business it seems.
Maybe it is a sign that the domain industry isn't doing too well.
If you can't earn clients through good reviews, a decent reputation for delivering on your promises and word of mouth from satisfied members then maybe you should rethink your business model. Spam is for desperate amateurs.

BTW in just a few years we have seen a number of parking companies disappear - and not always in grace. It's almost as if the parking business is fly by night in nature.
Back to the opening title, what do you think ? Possibly I'm being too harsh or just old fashioned in my manners and expectations :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Put login loggers on your WP sites and spam will be the least of your worries. I'm seeing hundreds of hijacking attempts on my sites every day, one IP attempts one site a few dozen times (brute force) then they jump to another site.

But - spam is a real pain in the rear, especially when everyone knows it is garbage - hence why I love gmail, great spam protection.

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spam is everywhere. Its how some people make their money regardless of the industry they are in. Remember the mortgage lead spamming back in the day, it was crazy. Always someone looking to make money in what they interrupt as the easy way. Also with the sites out there selling mass email services,lists, and how to's, its inevitable. IMHO Most people that spam you probably don't even fully realize what they are doing, they are chasing that quick buck and are already counting the dollars and are blinded.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps being spammed on a regular basis is a good sign: it means they like your portfolio :eek:k:

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I would never go so far as to say that seeing any person being murdered is heartwarming. Though true spammers should be brought to justice to some extent.

I just finished reading the book "Spam Kings" by Brian McWilliams last week, which was a VERY insightful look into the world of spam and those who actively combat it (and by actively combat it, I recommend you look up a newsgroup by the name of NANAE to see what I'm talking about).

The reality is that spam, be it in the form of email, facebook status updates, or junk direct messages on Twitter, is a fact of being an internet user.

I would consider the domaining industry to be a prime target for spam, since what we do has us on the computer all the time, therefore, we're more likely to check our emails and thus, see the spam.

Additionally, it is very easy to get domainers' email addresses. Simple bulk whois queries can pull up ownership records of owners of domains, and cause the desired emails to reach inboxes of domainers.

On top of that, as most of us are independent, we are all using our Gmail, AOL or Hotmail email addresses. These are not subject to strict IT policies as is the case with many corporate email addresses, which makes it difficult for spammers who target businesses to get through.

There really is no way to combat spam. The laws are difficult, if not impossible to enforce. Not just because it's so easy for a spammer to hide their true identity, but also because it is a freedom of speech issue.

There is nothing illegal about sending out bulk advertisements in the postal mail... so why is electronic mail any different?

People often ask me similar questions, whenever I tell them that I've been experienced with many varieties of cold calling; they want to know how to prevent solicitation calls to either their homes or businesses.

I'm straight up with them, and say it just can't be done. So long as someone can pick up that phone and dial your number, just as someone can type in [email protected] on an email program, they'll be able to get to you. And so long as we have freedom of speech, claiming they are doing anything wrong is very difficult to do, ESPECIALLY if you can't even find out who they are.

I sure as heck think that spamming is inefficient and detrimental to a company's reputation, but just as the very first words of "Spam Kings" reads; "People are stupid."

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree with you Maxwell on this and agree with katherine.

Spam in the domainer industry is reflective of your portfolio and interest given.

The more spam by lowballers is reflective of the interest in your names. Just gotta wait it out for the right offer.

2c

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree with you Maxwell on this and agree with katherine.

Spam in the domainer industry is reflective of your portfolio and interest given.

The more spam by lowballers is reflective of the interest in your names. Just gotta wait it out for the right offer.

2c

I agree with you on this much.

It's a problem any domainer faces, though to a much greater extent if you have better names, and more of them.

You'll be subject to automated "bulk mail" spam in any event, but lowball offers are definitely an indicator of quality names.

Remember, the reason why they're lowballing is so they can resell it for more. What they're saying with the lowball offer is "I think your domain is worth more than this".

"Spam" is just a very broad term and covers a lot of things. I would not consider lowball offers to be spam, but a nuisance nonetheless.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, another thread about domain spam :)

No later that yesterday I received a spam from Parkingcrew.
Spam which in fact was unnecessary and counterproductive. If you're a domainer it's likely that you have heard about Parkingcrew one way or the other. Now they blew their reputation with me.

To be clear, I'm not taking offense at one single, isolated spam.
It is the accumulation of spam and the pattern of spamming in the domain industry that is putting a bad taste in my mouth.
Looks like a disproportionate number of 'industry players' indulge in spamming, it's just a way of doing business it seems.
Maybe it is a sign that the domain industry isn't doing too well.
If you can't earn clients through good reviews, a decent reputation for delivering on your promises and word of mouth from satisfied members then maybe you should rethink your business model. Spam is for desperate amateurs.

BTW in just a few years we have seen a number of parking companies disappear - and not always in grace. It's almost as if the parking business is fly by night in nature.
Back to the opening title, what do you think ? Possibly I'm being too harsh or just old fashioned in my manners and expectations :)

How many spam emails did you receive from Parkingcrew? I think all the domainers have contacted potential buyers one way or another and I believe you have done so and those people might feel the same way towards you and other domainers.

How did they blow their reputation with you?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments :)

How many spam emails did you receive from Parkingcrew?
So far, one. But it's one too much, that's the whole point.

Repeat spam is the worst, but only one single spam from one single source is an annoyance, because so many people indulge in spamming.

As I said earlier, it's the accumulation in numbers.
It's also that we are not talking about individual newbie domainers, but so-called industry leaders.
I wonder how many start-up parking companies have NOT spammed me at some point.
When you are a leader you have to lead by example.

I think all the domainers have contacted potential buyers one way or another and I believe you have done so and those people might feel the same way towards you and other domainers.
If you contact end users, your approach must be thoroughly personalized.
When it begins with an opening line such as "Hi Buddy," and the whole sales pitch is generic it's clearly untargeted mail, therefore spam.
BTW the headers indicate it was sent through Sendgrid. They just scrapped E-mail addresses from whois and built a mail list.

To address your comment: when I contact people it is usually to BUY their domains.
I have found that good domains sell for themselves over time.
I dare you to find one single bad review about me or my company to the effect that I am a spammer :shy:

I have nothing against ParkingCrew in particular and I know my ranting won't change a thing.
I'm just showing you how domainers are perceived even among their peers.

How did they blow their reputation with you?
Let's just say that if "Most of domain parking platforms haven't really impressed ParkingCrew", ParkingCrew has failed to impress me.

Hi Buddy,

My name is Oliver and I am an account manager at ParkingCrew.

There are dozens of domainparking platforms out there. Most of them haven't really impressed us! There is a new domain monetization solution out there that you should definitely try out!

Our founders have been part of the domain industry for a decade, and have built their own platform: http://www.parkingcrew.com.

ParkingCrew specifically caters to a professional domainers needs:

• PPC feed with the highest coverage and clickprices worldwide
  • 2nd tier feeds and a broad direct advertiser base for adult and blocked traffic
  • highest revshares thanks to low overhead costs
  • clearly arranged frontend
  • transparent stats per domain
  • autooptimization of proven templates
  • custom template modification
  • API
  • multiple for-sale banners
In addition, ParkingCrew is fully integrated with Above so you can easily benchmark our service against your current providers. We are confident we will win your traffic!

I advise you to take this opportunity now to increase your revenues for the longterm! Signup at http://www.parkingcrew.com/apply now!

Cheers,

Oliver

Account Manager

http://www.ParkingCrew.com

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i got the email too katherine, but just deleted it.

as been said, ppc's come and go

some have easy entry, some are invite only or exclusive by portfolio

and more people want in "exclusive or invite" than easy entry

my point....none

:)

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they have a good product and pitch it should be worth it for them to invest in advertising, maybe a banner here at DNF and other domain-related sites. I think spamming a sales pitch to a bunch of people that didn't ask for it is the wrong way to start off. Hopefully would be spammers will take notice of these posts and realize this.

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm getting spam to several of my emails from bestgeodomainnames.com or dailysoldlist.com Only 4 a day, but its spam. I dont want to unscribe as I never signed up for any of them, clearly getting from whois based off emails they are sending it to.

Sorry had to vent a little, not a big deal but do which they would stop, its illegal more or less and a small pain, and its just not the proper way to do business.
Oh well such is life and business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom