Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why are you fascinated by domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellstrom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since I was little and heard of the big boys selling domains for $100k I have been fascinated by domains. It is not until recently, when I found DNF :) I have started for real.
What is then that is so special by domains?
I think it's the possibility to be creative and there's the excitement for the everyday drops(and the complaing: how the heck could ult get all those? ;) .
I guess you could be in the stockmarket, but that doesn't seem as fun as this. With stocks you have to pay attention to everything and there's always the risk that it will crash the next day.

So, what's your thoughts?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I share your feelings =)

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, stocks, this or any other "quick & easy money" scheme always turn out to be a very difficult, time consuming, low rewarding job with a lot of fun.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
The thrill for most people (including me) is registering a name for $7 - $10 and even if you sell for $100, that is 10x your money back. It is virtually impossible to do that anywhere else. If you have names that sell, domain names can be quite lucrative. There is nothing like getting a name for $10 and selling for $10,000.

Also, since all good names are gone in the 3 most popular TLDs, there is a certain sense of satisfaction knowing you own a very common short word (for example, I own Coffee.net, Engineers.net, etc.. These are strong and VERY widely used words).

Happy speculating.

-Bob

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a subject to write about for Duke's new site - I think this is a good one, but Duke will have to wait a few more weeks yet.

I'm often annoyed by GREAT webmasters who are NOT fascinated by domains. I host more than a few, with realy sucky domains - they go on and on about content, and the idea of a nice domain just seems silly to them and a waste of time!

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComster
I'm often annoyed by GREAT webmasters who are NOT fascinated by domains. I host more than a few, with realy sucky domains - they go on and on about content, and the idea of a nice domain just seems silly to them and a waste of time!

I agree with that 100%. Just recently, I'd an opportunity to discuss (at length) the possibility of joint venture/partnership (for developing one/some of my premium domains such as Printers.biz; Cigars.info, etc) with an experienced webmaster and it became quite clear to me that there's really a big difference in the relative importance attributed to a given name by a webmaster versus a domain trader/speculator.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by domains as a logically structured naming system that's been horribly contorted and abused by marketing types, lawyers, and speculators, giving me plenty of opportunity to get in good rants!

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
I'm fascinated by domains as a logically structured naming system that's been horribly contorted and abused by marketing types, lawyers, and speculators

For one there's a big differnce in academic vs. commercial undertakings. Second I'm not sure how one can say that the system was abused by marketing types/lawyers/speculators when neither an adequate "logical" structure was provided in the first place nor whatever structure was there enforced when the internet became mainstream and exploded a few years ago. I mean when those in charge allowed violatations of the tld meant for non-profits (.org) what do you expect for others (.com & .net)? It just so happens that rather than taking responsibility themselves those who could have affected a more sensible domain structure (academicians, geeks and policy makers) find it an easy scapegoat in the form of "marketing types, lawyers, and speculators".

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I was an avid coin collector which is an interesting hobby while at the same time you can make some $$ if you manage to obtain rare coins at a good price and onsell them at a nice profit.

A rare coin could be one of only 5,000 in existence etc, and most collectors could never afford to own a coin that there's 100 or less in the world of a certain denomination and date.

Domain names for me are an exciting progression into a realm where there is always only one of each of this commodity, which if you're lucky can be obtained for a fraction of its potential resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom