Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why bother to appraise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How do you guys appraise a domain name. I understand that the TLD, length, number of words are some of the factors. But take for example ditech.com

If I lived outside the US, I may appraise it at $50. While in the US it worth a lot more because of the advertising. Ditech became a very famous name in the insurance industry, maybe even more than insurance.com (Alexa ranking for ditech.com: 12989 and for insurance.com: 38110).

So what's the use of appraising a domain, when advertising can make a "little value" domain name such as doubleclick.net (it's 2 words, it's .net, and it's 12 letters!) rank website number 15 in the top100 internet websites (http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=lang&lang=en) !!!!

Please give your view about this subject. Thnx

Lwgik ;)

UnusedDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it depends on what you are appraising: a DN or a developed site.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The simple answer is that advertising is an important component in a domain name's value. What would google, enom, or napster be without all of the work and resources that have gone into building name recognition? Whether it is paid advertising, public relations or just good old word of mouth inspired by ingenuity, added value must be taken into consideration when valueing a name. Frequently that value manifests itself in the traffic numbers.

Hope this is helpful.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lwgik
... So what's the use of appraising a domain, when advertising can make a "little value" domain name ...
If you could spend say even 50% of ditech.com's advertising budget on e.g. Lwgik.com, I'm sure it will be a household name as well. But the value of a good domain name lies in whether it incurs type-in's on its own or is more brandable so you could save A LOT of money and get MUCH BETTER results.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
very true nameslave
Brandability and NATURAL typeins make names.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
to get some clues on a name.

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. Your comment nameslave makes lot of sense ;) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom