Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why cant my name be transferred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cokee

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I got this message

Canceled - Domain is locked at current registrar, or is not yet 60 days old

What does it mean???? :confused:

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It either means:-

1) The "lock" is set to be "on" with your registrar - you can unlock it in your domain control panel, OR

2) The domain was registered less than 60 days ago, in which case you cannot transfer it until it is 60 days old, however you can "push" the domain to another account with the same registrar.

cokee

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
1) I checked with my control panel before transfer, actually its "off" status.

2) It's an expiring name.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
could be nething.

does "expiring name" mean "expired name"?

could you print the following returns
from Internic.net ( Registrar, Status, Expiration Date )?

that would help us to better understand your situation.

best
~ Nexus

cokee

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
could be nething.

does "expiring name" mean "expired name"?

~ Nexus

i see people posting "expired" names on "expiring" names forum, so, are those names expired, or expiring? :)

WHOIS here

Thanks!

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cokee

2) It's an expiring name.

Isn't it a transfer requirement that the name to be transfered from one registrar to another has at least 30-days (some registrars may require more) of registration period remaining? If so, make sure your name has that minimum period left.

cokee

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ok, its an expired name then, what should i do now?
renew at current registrar? i dont want to use opensrs :(

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cokee
ok, its an expired name then, what should i do now?
renew at current registrar? i dont want to use opensrs :(
Unfortunately, if it is expired you are screwed. You can transfer names in as little as a couple of days if you are lucky, but if you name is EXPIRED, you can do nothing save RENEW it. I've had this happen with names I wanted, but no longer wanted at my current registrar, and it was clearly my fault for waiting.

As for what I was asking, here is the breakdown
#1. REGISTRAR: TUCOWS
#2. STATUS: REGISTRAR-HOLD
#3. EXPIRATION DATE: Mar 10, 2003

From this, I can say the following. I have had many "under-a-week from expiration" transfers FROM Tucows. Hasn't been a problem, but according to item #3... its too late for that. The STATUS tells you EXACTLY that it is too late.

Look at my post here:
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=164756#post164672

Here's an exerpt:
REGISTRAR-HOLD: similar "CLIENTHOLD". Set to this status, a domain name record cannot be modified or deleted. At this status, the domain name record SHALL NOT be included in its respective zone file. This status is set by the sponsoring registrar.

"Modification" would include "transfer" (you would be "modifying" the registrar on the record), and "SHALL NOT be included in its zone file", means no e-mail or website activity is supported at this stage either.

Best,
~ Nexus

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually with some registrars you can still push an expired name as long as it hasn't gone into redemption. The gaining registrant has to renew the domain of course.

hellstrom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
Actually with some registrars you can still push an expired name as long as it hasn't gone into redemption. The gaining registrant has to renew the domain of course.
This is possible with Enom, isn't it? Can it be a transfer from an enom reseller to an enom account?

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It should be possible with any sensible registrar because if it is pushed they get to keep the business. If it drops it could go to anyone.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It should be possible with any sensible registrar because if it is pushed they get to keep the business. If it drops it could go to anyone.
Wouldn't this have more to do with the *current* registrar, and NOT the registrar you are transferring TO? I think the registrar you are transferring TO will *ALWAYS* attempt to transfer.
Still, no one in Registrar-Hold should be thinking anything other than "RENEW" to get out of that predicament.

~ Nexus

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nexus - as I understand it, you can only transfer registrars if a name has more than 10 days left before expiry. After that you can only renew. What seems to have happened is that a number of registrars will now allow a push before renewal provided that the gaining registrant orders a renewal first.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
--provided that the gaining registrant orders a renewal first.
I not sure what that means procedurally... is this something someone transferring would need to request somehow, or a decision the registrar makes on its own upon seeing that the name has expired? Also, when you say "push", you mean "transfer" right? I've been thinking about "push" in terms of "pushing" a name between accounts on the same registrar (Enom:user1->Enom:user2, Tucows:seller->Tucows:buyer, etc).

~ Nexus

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are others here that are more experienced than me and can perhaps confirm the situation. Maybe it would be cleared if I defined my understanding of term.

- Registry - the central recoding institution
- Registrar - An organisation with an account at the Registry and able to initiate the recording of new registrations, also the holder of registration details. (Enom is an example)
- Registrar's agent/reseller - A retailer of the registration services offered by the Registrar.
- Registrar push - The transfer of ownership between two registrar's agents (or their clients) without a change of Registrar.
- Registrar transfer - a transfer between registrars
- Registrant transfer - a change of ownership by registrar transfer or registrar push.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with your list of definitions.

You can certainly *PUSH* expired domains (I've "pushed" domains only to "renew" from another user account), I'm not clear about initiating a *TRANSFER* for them after they've past their expiry date. What's more, when you said that something would be "pushed" provided the gaining registrar "renewed", I was interested in knowing how a gaining registrar would know or be told to renew on-transfer of a name. It sounded like an infrequent special case, the handling of which would be the bane of any business predicated on volume transactions unless there is a standard automate practice for it.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom