Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why do some sellers have a poor attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have made a number (of what I thought were reasonable) offers on some names advertised here and at DS.

Some of the offers were for a few hundred dollars for some dot-orgs (good but not top-tier) and also some rather obscure dot-com names.

Some offers were met by obvious hostility with remarks like that is a "ridiculous offer" or "have turned down much higher offers" (a common reply, perhaps often not true).

A number of offers via PM have met with absolutey no response :huh: even after a followup PM was sent.

Most of the negative replies did not even bother to make a counter offer. Perhaps I would have gone higher but they did not know that or care. Very odd.

Another oddity is some sellers who are slow or refuse to give their asking or reserve price but seem to like playing a guessing game instead. These are also often the same ones who sometimes say my offer is ridiculous (even if really not so).

Instead of being glad to get some offers some here act like they are upset when they get offers. That type of attitude and behavior is very strange and quite unfortunate.

This seller attitude problem is one reason few serious buyers come to the forums and most make offers via Whois searches and emails.

P.S. On another subject, thanks for the suggestion tool name offers I have received. Am looking at them over the weekend.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am usually so thankful when I get an offer that usually, even if it is really awful, I am still happy, lol

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clearly, a lot of people in this business are not mature businesspeople. The great thing about domains is that for the most part you can do it in your underwear from your mother's basement. That is not exactly an environment conducive to developing business and social skills.

I say don't let them bother you. But by all means if you were willing to go higher, you would be doing them a service by letting them know that they blew a potential sale. Maybe that would inspire them to get a grip on reality.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FrontRow
you can do it in your underwear from your mother's basement.

I usually domain in briefs :laugh:

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I generally politly say "I am sorry I cannot accept your offer, I am looking for a bit more $ and have gotten higher offers previously".

But I dont get any offers :-( lol

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GT Web

I usually domain in briefs :laugh:

ewww. I hate briefs.

I prefer boxers..

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
briefs have more support :-D

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Check mine out. I'll always make a counter offer, and am glad to get any offer. I cheerfully respond to all serious offers. Often with a PayPal invoice.

Well...okay, I do occassionally delete offers of $1 and less when my minimum asking price is say $50. They usually have made up or yahoo email addresses too.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
Often with a PayPal invoice.

Hmm, never heard of that one.

Does it increase sales in your opinion?

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devildude8989

Hmm, never heard of that one.

Does it increase sales in your opinion?

It's already SOLD.
It's just to provide convenience to buyer.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why do some sellers have a poor attitude?

Mainly greed in my opinion. although ego probably plays a part in some cases.

It's okay though. We'll have the last laugh when they eventually let the names expire and pick them up for snap fees for use or ask reasonable prices to actually sell.

The only ones I ask what could be seen as above market prices on are the ones I really don't want to sell but have long term development plans to use myself.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

interesting.

But I dont think I will ues it.

1. Becuase I think its like pushing the purchase onto the buyer. When delaing with buyers I never try

to make it feel like they have to buy it. I dont make it too easy for them to back out but I trry not to force anythign on them. This sounds a lil pushy.

2. It takes up time :-D

Just my thoughts..

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Often with a PayPal invoice.

I remember years ago going to buy something at flea markets, I would hold the item that was for sale along with what I was willing to pay and ask the seller to take one back (the item or the $$) Worked 90% of the time when they see the funds in their face....LOL

Makes the choice easier...

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
More often, I just accept their offer or counter offer with a PayPal invoice. If we're real close on price, the invoice as counter offer will sometimes work to speed things up. It also helps to sometimes throw in something extra like waiving closing or escrow fees or an additional year of registration.

If there's a long escrow period or some other holdup like waiting for a check to clear, I'll also offer to forward the domain or change the domain to their host nameservers for immediate use without actually changing ownership yet.

Another trick I did once was to create an email forward with their name and forwarded it to their existing address. They see their name in use on the domain they want to buy. This might be seen as arrogant to a corporate buyer, but to a hobbyist it really catches the eye. I tell them I preconfigured an email alias they could use until the deal closes. Kind of like test driving a car.

A little bonus, not matter how minor it seems can make the buyer feel better about a purchase and the whole transaction. I often offer to set up the DNS host settings for newbie buyers who don't understand the terminology. They get the domain pre-configured for for their host upon transfer. It only takes me a few minutes to do what they may have to research for hours, and is often appreciated since it saves them reading help files or contacting support.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More often, I just accept their offer or counter offer with a PayPal invoice. If we're real close on price, the invoice as counter offer will sometimes work to speed things up. It also helps to sometimes throw in something extra like waiving closing or escrow fees or an additional year of registration.

If there's a long escrow period or some other holdup like waiting for a check to clear, I'll also offer to forward the domain or change the domain to their host nameservers for immediate use without actually changing ownership yet.

Another trick I did once was to create an email forward with their name and forwarded it to their existing address. They see their name in use on the domain they want to buy. This might be seen as arrogant to a corporate buyer, but to a hobbyist it really catches the eye. I tell them I preconfigured an email alias they could use until the deal closes. Kind of like test driving a car.

A little bonus, not matter how minor it seems can make the buyer feel better about a purchase and the whole transaction. I often offer to set up the DNS host settings for newbie buyers who don't understand the terminology. They get the domain pre-configured for for their host upon transfer. It only takes me a few minutes to do what they may have to research for hours, and is often appreciated since it saves them reading help files or contacting support.

Good service will always put you out in front. I prefer people to pay by check - it provideds me with security - and a way to collect my funds should it bounce. Paypal leaves me with a loss. Escrow.com is great - just takes a long time.

I send an invoice as an attachemtn - it really helps with the trust department - and folks will more likely send you funds.

I have a simple Word document invoice - if anyone would like a copy to use, just email me - [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom