Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

why do the chinese like .cc so much?

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anyone from china tell me why .cc is so popular with the chinese. -- true that after .com and .cn the next most popular extension now is .cc? looks like it'll soon approach the number of .net registrations by the chinese in 2014 and it already beat the number of .org's.--

-
i find this quite odd as it's an expensive extension at $20 per year. --i do know it's now mainstream with no restrictions and no longer just a cctld for the cocos islands.-
-- why pick such pricey extension when others are much cheaper.- china starts with the letter c so go for the double c?? i doubt it is this simple lol-.

Domain summit 2024

fpforum

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not Chinese so there is no guarantee I'm right here, but it seams like the Chinese have targeted VeriSign extensions (outside of the CN extension)... COM, NET, and CC are the other main extensions Chinese buyers like, and they're all owned by VeriSign.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
any idea why the chinese may favor expensive verisign extensions like .cc over much cheaper ones that are acceptable? .org for example.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have also noticed this trend, though not certain 100% why.. perhaps aside from .cn and .com which are already preferred its somehow a marriage of the two.. its only LL in length while still retaining the (C) letter that is used in both "cn" and "com". Keep in mind there is also .com.cn.. perhaps a shortened version of .Com.Cn = .CC? Just ideas, would love to hear from some native Chinese domain investors on this one. The trend is happening.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Dot .cc is currently being pushed as likable but where is the proof? Unless it stands for Chinese Chicken.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Dot .cc is currently being pushed as likable but where is the proof? Unless it stands for

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
agree with all comments and possible reasons. way i see it if a chinese domainer can purchase or register 3 .org names for 20 bucks, then why go for just 1 .cc name? makes little sense and .org is way more common.

vicho

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am from China and I would like to share something:
1. .cc is the acronym of Commercial Company or Chinese Company - DNF member tekz999 got it!
2. .cc cannot be used in China as it has not put on record with the Chinese government MIIT. TLDs having the MIIT license are .citic, .ren, .top, .wang, etc. So the popularity of .cc in China has become a history now.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good to know @vicho, appreciate you sharing. Always thought .CC was garbage.

Howie Crosby

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2. .cc cannot be used in China as it has not put on record with the Chinese government MIIT. TLDs having the MIIT license are .citic, .ren, .top, .wang, etc. So the popularity of .cc in China has become a history now.

We know many extensions as com net cc are awaiting government approval, so have you confirmation that cc is denied for use in China? Just a much as com could be of course.

domainsale-CN

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am from China and I would like to share something:
1. .cc is the acronym of Commercial Company or Chinese Company - DNF member tekz999 got it!
Funny part

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting, so the users must acquired licsence before the usages of some domain extensions in China?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators