Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WHY domaining companies clearly do HATE advertise in Yellow Pages-like directories???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

WHY domaining companies clearly do HATE advertise in Yellow Pages-like directories despite the low cost and the big advantages for their business??? :?:

ps - as probably you know, I've just had a personal (and, so far, bad) experience in this field... :worried:

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably for the same reason the Yellow Pages-like directories clearly HATE listening to their prospects.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Probably for the same reason the Yellow Pages-like directories clearly HATE listening to their prospects. Just a hunch.

in the internet era the Yellow Pages are like dinosaurs, but, as everybody knows, before the web era, 70% of their pages was FULL of (very expensive) advertising

despite the ads prices, the main advantage (especially for small companies) was to advertise on a SINGLE place rather than on hundreds or thousands places (at much higher costs)

and this is also the main advantage of a web directory

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back in the days of the Flintstones dinosaurs were very common. Just like web directories are today. So you have a lot of Flintstones riding on a lot of dinosaurs so that makes the dinosaur lot across the street look less appealing.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not if he's standing alone in the same spot in the middle of a forest. He needs to start going towards town with the new roller skates his dino friends gave him so that the other dinos and cavemen can see the ad on his butt.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not if he's standing alone in the same spot in the middle of a forest.

a web directory never is "alone in the forest" because the "web forest" is daily and quickly indexed by search engines and the search results are visible by thousands people

just a small example is my Venture Capital Italia blog, that, thanks to its perfect domain name and WITHOUT any SEO or advertising campaign, always appears in the first ten results on Google, Yahoo and Bing!

and, as you know, the SE are only ONE of many ways to allow to a web directory to go outside the "web forest" and be seen by thousands users

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why are you talking about websites? I was talking about dinosaurs. What is your favorite dinosaur?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok...well....I am done with this thread because I thought we were talking about dinosaurs and you just want to talk domains. I was excited but now I will go find someone else to talk dinosaurs with.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok...well....I am done with this thread because I thought we were talking about dinosaurs and you just want to talk domains. I was excited but now I will go find someone else to talk dinosaurs with.

maybe, you can ask Santa Claus to bring you a Tyrannosaurus this Christmas... :)

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If nobody is ever going to see a copy of a yellow-pages-like directory nobody will want to be in it regardless of how cheap it is.

"yellow pages" are only an example I've used to say that also a directory is "something simple and low cost but very effective"

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hey mate,
when i read this first post, i straight understood where you were coming from and where you are finally about to land..
in today's world the requirement of information has changed and more importantly , the mechanism & dynamics to search for the information has chnaged

i still read paper based ad publications and if i have to look for any information, opens the directory that is sent to the residence every month.. all paper!

anyways, here you started again, with a twist to what u wanted to tell the users in your previous thread :)) lol ... all the best!

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

also, a suggestion, if you want to make serious money, concentrate and work , market and sell, diversify and grow !

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there are many domain lsiting websites, verticals & portals having technology section, with web based services, domains as sub sections...
check ebay too ;)

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

as said, the main advantage of a "yellow pages" like web directory is the GIANT saving of money since an advertiser pays (e.g.) $500 per year on a SINGLE place's ad rather than buy dozens or hundreds ads for a total price per year that may reach 50+ times the price of the single ad

but the second (and not less good) advantage is to SAVE TIME (that always means, also, SAVE MONEY) because, without a single directory, a small company needs to visits hundreds sites, ask for prices, make the right choice of sites to advertise on, draw differently sized banners, send dozens payments, etc.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
without the consent of the company?
but the second (and not less good) advantage is to SAVE
TIME (that always means, also, SAVE
MONEY) because, without a single directory, a small company needs to
visits hundreds sites, ask for prices, make the right choice of sites to
advertise on, draw differently sized banners, send dozens payments,
etc.

i understand mate. u have already mentioned u will create / contract with various directory owners and then users will give u money and u will get it listed.
i understand that. but i do not see it working anywhere.. its decades/centuires old model implemented everywhere..

do update as i mentined in other thread (not demoarlizing u), how many users will sign infor paid services..

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how many users will sign infor paid services

well, when I've bought a small number of ads to advertise my sites, it resulted in a loss of time to contact all sites, make banners, etc. so, personally, I like to buy ads on a single directory or also on a blog that is so well known on the web to be like a directory

if (e.g.) you have a $15,000 monthly budget, you can buy a banner on a top blog like (e.g.) TechCrunch and have lots of visits to your site

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators