Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why everyone should register a domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

instead of just posting a link, why not elaborate on why you thought it was good

but even without reading it, i know it's not good article

because .....

if everyone registered a domain, then who would we sell ours to?

:rolleyes:

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Biggie,

I think it's a good article because it encourages everyone to create an online presence and social footprint that is not controlled by the various social media outlets. Facebook etc is free and widespread, but free is never really free.

To me, I think you're being a bit short-sighted .. I think anything that can grow the domain market as a whole is a good thing. There are only a finite number of really good, saleable names. And outside of the really good domain names, there isn't widespread, mainstream demand for domains. If domains were to become part of the mainstream's consciousness, it could perhaps become a mainstream investment vehicle like real estate or stocks. I think ultimately, the increased demand would make domain names much more marketable.

Right now, the barrier to entry for domains is lack of understanding and knowledge. If domaining were more clearly understood by everyone, why wouldn't everyone want to invest in domains? You can invest in domains for $10, whereas with real estate or stocks, you have much more risk and capital investment. But the general layperson doesn't even truly know what a domain is, much less how to monetize a domain, or properly value a domain and make them more valuable. A larger, more transparent marketplace would make domains more valuable and liquid imho.

That's just my 2 cents, but I could be wrong. I'm sure you've been at this much longer than I.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Biggie,

I think it's a good article because it encourages everyone to create an online presence and social footprint that is not controlled by the various social media outlets. Facebook etc is free and widespread, but free is never really free.

To me, I think you're being a bit short-sighted .. I think anything that can grow the domain market as a whole is a good thing. There are only a finite number of really good, saleable names. And outside of the really good domain names, there isn't widespread, mainstream demand for domains. If domains were to become part of the mainstream's consciousness, it could perhaps become a mainstream investment vehicle like real estate or stocks. I think ultimately, the increased demand would make domain names much more marketable.

Right now, the barrier to entry for domains is lack of understanding and knowledge. If domaining were more clearly understood by everyone, why wouldn't everyone want to invest in domains? You can invest in domains for $10, whereas with real estate or stocks, you have much more risk and capital investment. But the general layperson doesn't even truly know what a domain is, much less how to monetize a domain, or properly value a domain and make them more valuable. A larger, more transparent marketplace would make domains more valuable and liquid imho.

That's just my 2 cents, but I could be wrong. I'm sure you've been at this much longer than I.

there are those who already are "investing" in domains, that are not clear about the business of domaining.

the fact that it cost $10 or less, does not reduce risk of loss for amount invested.

you don't want general layperson to truly know anything about domains, other than they need the one you're trying to sell them.

the marketplace will never be transparent, as mystique, confusion, illusions, opinions, etc., will always play a part in distorting clarity.

the more people who get involved, the more confusion they will be faced with.

it's why you see some of the same questions asked about the same things, year after year.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's a positive article.
More consumer awareness is good for us.

Somebody who understands the benefits of a domain name for personal use may be more sensitive to the benefits of securing a great domain for his/her business, or next business venture.

Of course, it's very possible that somebody will buy a domain for personal use (for regfee) but will never buy another domain (on the aftermarket).
But it's not business lost to domainers anyway.

The author could also have mentioned the perks of being in control of your own, memorable E-mail address(es).

On a side note, I have to say that I am shocked that many domainers don't seem to be heeding this sound advice
and still using gmail accounts... that they will never control... :rolleyes: but Big G will continue to squeeze gmail users into relinquishing more and more of what's left of their privacy.

It's difficult to preach the benefits of domain names to end users when you're not leading by example ;)

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there are those who already are "investing" in domains, that are not clear about the business of domaining.

the fact that it cost $10 or less, does not reduce risk of loss for amount invested.

you don't want general layperson to truly know anything about domains, other than they need the one you're trying to sell them.

the marketplace will never be transparent, as mystique, confusion, illusions, opinions, etc., will always play a part in distorting clarity.

the more people who get involved, the more confusion they will be faced with.

it's why you see some of the same questions asked about the same things, year after year.

Hi Biggie,

There will always be people who have questions, and or buy domains without much knowledge of what they're doing. The same thing can be about any investment .. When people buy their first home they have lots of questions and learn a lot in the process. The novices often make mistakes, which the experienced investors often capitalize on. That will be true of any investment, and/or industry.

BUT everyone understands what a home or stock is, most people know that historically they are a good investment, and that there's the potential to make money. Also there are clear industry standards on how to value those investments, as well as many different marketplaces for buying and selling. This competition creates liquidity and ultimately drives value.. I don't think the same can be said about the domain name industry.

There are definite risks involved with domaining, but a beginner who wants to get their feet wet has a much lower barrier to entry (financially) than someone looking to purchase a home or stock. Pretty much anyone can register a domain if they want to. The same cannot be said about other investments. So why wouldn't we want everyone to know and understand as much about domaining as possible? Why wouldn't you want to increase the pool of potential buyers? As an experienced domainer, I'm sure you would make more money than you do now.

Like Katherine says, anything that raises consumer awareness about domains is good for the industry as a whole. Those that register domains for their personal use is a different segment of the market than domainers anyhow. I don't think my registration of jamespaik.net at all diminishes the value of any of your domains.

Perhaps I'm thinking of this from the viewpoint of a domain registrar, but I believe that creating awareness will create more demand, more liquidity, and more value for domain owners.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Biggie,

Perhaps I'm thinking of this from the viewpoint of a domain registrar, but I believe that creating awareness will create more demand,.

and that my brother, i think, is the essence of your support for the article

for you it seems like it's about "volume of new registrations"...

and to me that doesn't equate to creating "demand" for existing domains.

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Biggie, let's just agree to disagree

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always tell people that they should register their name .com (johndoe.com) if they can and if they want to really protect themselves, get the .net and .org at least (and if a ccTLD is popular, get that, too). I even show them how to redirect the domain(s) to a Wordpress site so they can start for free to see how they like it. I do the same with people starting a business - research a good domain for your business first THEN come up with a name.

IMO online identity theft is already happening (someone registers your name.com and impersonates you - plus you don't have the $$$ to fight it) and may become more popular especially if you become well known in your field.

With that said, I do not recommend that people start registering domains willy-nilly, there is too much risk involved. If they see something good and already have development planned and can implement then go for it but don't just register domains that you think are good just to try to resell them.

Last edited:

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well said draggar ..

Biggie, I'm starting to think you just like giving people a hard time .. lol

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggie, I'm starting to think you just like giving people a hard time .. lol

it's more about trying to see how convicted your are to your position and how you got there

as i like to understand the motivations and the rationale behind your opinions.

but i'm sure everyone likes the feedback from the silent majority

:)

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He's almost as good as playing the devil's advocate as I am. :)

Well I hope I passed your test. I enjoyed the spirited discussion anyhow, even though I think I'm still right! :)

I guess a newbie on the forum deserves a little hazing ..

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I hope I passed your test. I enjoyed the spirited discussion anyhow, even though I think I'm still right! :)

I guess a newbie on the forum deserves a little hazing ..

as a pratice, i don't haze

and would ask the same question, regardless to whether you just joined today or have been here since day 1

the title of the thread, is why i replied

not because you recently joined the forum

anyway, glad you enjoyed the convo, in the spirit in which it was intended

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
as a pratice, i don't haze

and would ask the same question, regardless to whether you just joined today or have been here since day 1

the title of the thread, is why i replied

not because you recently joined the forum

anyway, glad you enjoyed the convo, in the spirit in which it was intended

Just giving you a hard time Biggie .. I enjoyed the back and forth. It's what makes this forum great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom