Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why is it advised to keep hosting and domain names separate?

Denjiro28

Reaction score
This has been suggested to me numerous times, but never with justification. Could someone kindly explain to me why it is preferable to keep them apart?

I want to launch my first legitimate website, and I've seen positive hosting reviews for Krystal, so I'm interested in using them. What drawbacks might there be if I also register my domain name with Krystal?

What businesses are suggested if I were to register the domain name somewhere else? If it makes a difference, I'm from the UK.

Domain summit 2024

Red0888

Level 1
Reaction score
This has been suggested to me numerous times, but never with justification. Could someone kindly explain to me why it is preferable to keep them apart?

I want to launch my first legitimate website, and I've seen positive hosting reviews for Krystal, so I'm interested in using them. What drawbacks might there be if I also register my domain name with Krystal?

What businesses are suggested if I were to register the domain name somewhere else? If it makes a difference, I'm from the UK.
One of the reason is, in case of an issue arising in the future due to some unforeseen reason, the company can suspend both the domain, and hosting which would effectively render you with no options.

Consider this - You own a domain at namecheap but using hostinger.com to host your website. Suppose hostinger suspends your website for some reason, you still have the ability to switch to a new host. This means that you still have some way to communicate with visitors of your website.

As for your question regarding registrar's, I prefer only namecheap or njal.la. (the latter if you prefer a high level of privacy.)

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No advantages and disadvantages only you need to make sure the registrar is trustworthy and a web hosting provider is operational a long time.

Bill Hartzer

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, 100 percent you need to keep your domain name and web hosting separate, buy them from separate companies.

The problem is a security issue. I have literally help recover an IT company's server, sites, and ALL of his client domains, many of which were transferred to other registrars.

Someone hacked into the server, got access to the registrar account, and stole all his clients' domain names, many of which were live websites. The live sites of all his customers went down.

This was at GoDaddy. The server was hosted at GoDaddy along with ALL of the domains on that server (over 50 domains and live sites).

So I don't really recommend using a domain registrar where you have ONE login and then that allows you access to the web hosting and all the domains. Many people do it, but from a security perspective it's not ideal.

rinkusoni

Account Terminated
Reaction score
People mostly prefer domain names separate. because it is good practice that helps you to get greater flexibility with your web hosting. the main reason to separate domain names is to avoid combining the two internet protocols under one service.

facebookfont

Reaction score
Your domain name should always be kept separate from your web host to avoid pitfalls, such as domain name loss. If you decide to move to another site builder or web host, keep your domain name registered elsewhere so that you ensure your name will not be locked with your current web hosting provider.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators