Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why is there no good domain auction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is a mystery why there is no good auction site for domains. So many have tried, even several of the big boys. It would seem the market is big enough to support one. Isn't it? I wonder what they are all doing wrong?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unrealistic listed selling prices cause the auctions to become a joke - any normal auction house would have no buyers attending if they operated the same way.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree, that is surely one of the problems. Auctions arent retail plus and many listings I have seen have been made by a dreamer.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pool? NameWinner? :)

It's just that most domain owners don't want to risk selling their domains at an auction with no exposure.

I'd list my names for auction at pool if they implemented such a system.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would .....yeah Pool could really do something. They really should. Dropwiz looked or is looking to try

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would be a mistake for Pool to do it under their brand (banner) of
Pool.

With Pool,
1. you know they have possession of the name.
2. If it went to auction, at least two people have serious interest
in the name.
3. In the auction mode, you know someone will end up with it.
4. Since, it is a recent drop, the name may never be available, again.
5. The names they usually catch has real market value.
6. The name has a clear title of ownership.

Plus, many other points.

With a (weekly) auction mode. There is no matter of urgency. And, that
is what makes the numbers go thru the roof.

Plus, many other points.

One day. It will exist. But, it will require a major commitment. No different than
what Pool did to the drop business.

Tigga and Nameslave. Do a "five forces analysis".

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They catch names with bids. Market value has nothing to do with it. Hopefilly something that is bought for $60 has value, but that not in their matrix

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the main problem IMHO is that although the target market *should* be end users, it ends up that the prices are for endusers but the buyers are resellers, so they fail...

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Selling prices are way too low.. so no-one lists there.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bazaar isn't what I'm looking for at all.

I'm looking for pool type buyers to participate in auctions as they do in the drops.

THAT is what they should do.

Heck I'd even hand them over my domain before they list it fotr their security and give em 10% of the final sale.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ClassicNames.com said:
Whats wrong with the Afternic Bazaar?

I'm testing bazaar right now with a small group of .com names. I'll post with the results when the sales end. The reason I'm trying that venue is that for low priced names that seems to be the only option open other than your own personal domainsellerpro by RJ (which is great and cheap by the way) and the forums that have a hard time working together.

To be honest, I think we all know that 80% or more of the names held and advertised by members here or the other forums stink and are overpriced. They hold little generic wide appeal for the masses but we all hope that individual names catch the eye of someone who fancies a niche. Otherwise, the names that make up the inventories of most of the players are not worth the reg fees let alone the minimum sales fee charged by Sedo or Afternic.
Doc

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI - thefirstname.com occaisionally sells names from their portfolio in their auctions along with the drops they've caught.

basscaster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no question - pool should go into the aftermarket auction business (as opposed to just drops). The seller agrees to a $60 minimum bid, no reserve; possession and title of registration is held by pool.

It's a win-win situation for buyers and sellers. Sellers know their name is in the best possible arena, and buyers know they will receive the name upon completion of the auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom