Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why is this auction getting such high bids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree with your private auction=fraud theory. I sell on eBay and use the private auction feature in domain sales. The reason is the amount of SPAM and backstabbing that goes on if you don't. I have bid in open auctions and seen the junk come rolling in - offers of pop-under traffic, "that domain sucks, mine is better", and some even nastier.

People can tell my auctions are legit, because some don't get bids and many sell at the minimum bid.

The whole domains category at eBay has been filled with crap and spam listings.

I personally wouldn't want to pay eBay % fees on a phony $25,000 bid either.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I looked at the whole picture. I looked at the names. I looked at the current bid. No one could come up with a list that size with those types of names to sway away a buyer. The seller has a reserve. If the reserve is not met, no Ebay fees. If a sucker is lured in and the reserve is met, no big deal paying the Ebay fees.
The seller knows what the reserve is.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gregr:

You may be right on this one, but I felt the generalization that the only reason to have a private auction was to commit fraud was a bit over the top.

Here is another plausible explanation for a 25k bid on this unworthy group of names: Some people see a reserve on a large item like this and think it is fun to actually place a 5 figure bid without the (perceived)risk of actually having to pay - also could be a prank by someone that knows the names aren't worth it and wants to jerk the seller's chain a little.

There are plenty of phony bids on eBay, and most come from the buyer side of the house, not the seller.

Just my .02

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bids are an obvious sham no matter how you slice it. Either shill bidding or bogus bid by someone goofing with the seller (who deserves to be goofed with). The names are junk. Doubt anyone would pay $250 total for them, let alone $25,000.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2gajgops
There are plenty of phony bids on eBay, and most come from the buyer side of the house, not the seller.

it's the other way around. who get the benefit from shill bid?

even though, the buy it now price is $100k, the reserved price may be only $1000. I don't think buyers want to mess around with it.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by .biz

it's the other way around. who get the benefit from shill bid?
If the item doesn't sell, or if there are no legitimate bids, nobody benefits.

Originally posted by .biz

even though, the buy it now price is $100k, the reserved price may be only $1000. I don't think buyers want to mess around with it.

The start bid was $25k, the reserve has to be higher than the minimum. You are generally safe bidding the minimum bid in a reserve price auction without fear of actually getting the item. The only risk is if the seller drops the reserve down during the auction. It's also not hard to create an alias and make a phony bid if you just want to screw with the seller.

Who knows, maybe it is a scam, but if it is, it isn't a very good one from what I see.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been buying and selling on ebay for many years and shill bidding is prevelant in all areas. I had a guy bid me up under a second name. The funny thing is that when I received his email about winning the item, his actual email address was the shill address he used to bid me up. When I checked his other auctions, he had done the same exact thing almost every single time. I reported him to ebay and he was suspended. btw- I didn't pay for the item and guy didn't seem to mind.

I also see many auctions that are constantly being relisted that are private and have 1 bid each time (the Allah domain comes to mind). It's a sad but true nature of the beast.

Any edge to get the extra buck. If someone bites, that's great for him, if not, just relist for free. If he gets suspended, create a new ID.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACKERGARE
i have never understood private auctions

Private auctions are very appropriate for high profile domains. Some big companies don't want anyone to know who is buying a name for business reasons. A really high profile company might be outbid by another seller or competitor who wants to play them for it. It could also be a new product name or line of business they don't want out yet.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Private auctions have their place, particularly when listing adult domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom