Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why SEDO hide reserves on auctionned domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am wondering why SEDO is hiding reserve price on auctionned domains?

It's very annoying an this refrains buyers to bid.

By the way I seen yesterday that most of the domains for sale at GreatDomains.com (powered by SEDO) were unsold due to the reserve not met.

This is maybe a point they should review again.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
people still dont understand that a reserve actually hurts the interest and bidding process..many people, including me will never bid on a reserve auction..

reserve auctions are mainly by people that want an unrealistic price for their domain and hope that one enduser out there might bid it up.., its a coward thing to do..either start it at the minimum price or go no reserve..
..reserve auctions are for Pu§§ys IMO

Sleepys

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Companies hide reserves for auctions, to entice bids up to the reserve. If you knew the reserve on something was $10,000, and you only were interested in paying $1,000, then you would not bid. If you did not know the reserve you may bid up to $1,000 hoping you meet the reserve and by raising the current bid, you would consequently increase interest in the auction. Someone else might then bid $2,000 or $3,000 not knowing the reserve. If they knew the reserve, those bids would be pointless.
I prefer no reserve as well, but it is a very common auction practice.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know its a common auction practice.. but that doesnt mean higher results, the facts show that a reserve keeps bidders away, more people bid and will bid higher if there is no reserve..I understand that people want to do it because they are afraid their high expectations are not being met, but to me that just a very uneducated way of risk management...time has told on ebay that you will receive the highest prices at a no reserve auction starting at $1 for goods that are wanted by many people .such as generic domains listed on Sedo

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
A reserve is a safety limit for the seller, ensuring that their domain won't sell for less. It does not have to be unrealistic.

Take my advice for what it's worth; I once sold a LLL .com on eBay for $227 (with no reserve). I actually made a $70 dollar profit but learnt a hard lesson.

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The whole point of the reserve is to be kept secret. A public reserve is simply the starting price of the auction.

My problem is with the sales threads on this forum that say things like "Taking offers from $1 with a $5,000 reserve." If the reserve is $5k, then what is the point of any lower offers?

If the auctioneer wants a public minimum, they choose a high starting price. If they want a private minimum, they choose a reserve.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Cyrus, you are absolutely correct. These that do this are simply poseurs.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry Acroplex but I am laughing reading your unfortunate story:
$227 for an LLL.com
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... that's horrible!
Let me cry for you.

Just because it comes to mind:
For a reason I ignore I never seen eBay as a good channel to sell domains.

As a buyer I think I also prefer to know the reserve price.
Otherwise it's very frustrating and you may have the feeling to lose your time.
This can lead to simply not participate in auctions.

As a seller, that's clear one don't want to take the risk to sell a great name for peanuts like it happened to Acroplex.

The reserve is a good thing, but public as a starting price.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That was back in 2002. I won the same domain on eBay for $157 :D

Actually I've bought some great names on eBay, names such as butter.net, ann.net and other dictionary domains, which I sold here on DNF or via Sedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom