Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why the big secret about giving stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't make too many offers at Sedo or elsewhere but when I do it's nice to get a bit of info from the seller so sometimes use the Sedo dropdown menu which has questions you can ask sellers.

Recently I have used the built-in question requesting stats from seller.

Instead of giving the stats the negotiations were quickly cancelled by seller. Also had that happen at other times including raising the price far beyond value such as 200k or whatever for a 1k name.

My question is why not simply give the data upon request? There is always a possibility the buyer was not looking for much traffic but mostly just curious about it and maybe wanting to see it it was at least not zero (my situation), or just wanting to communicate with seller and would buy it regardless of stats and traffic being low, so why the big secret? I don't get it :?:

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like nothing other than inexperienced domainers to me.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone who inquires about a name of mine and asks for traffic i don't bother with.

If i am not selling my name based on traffic why do you have to ask?

Especially when you inquire through email etc

It is a little different if i post a name for sale and someone asks... just my two cents.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't make too many offers at Sedo or elsewhere but when I do it's nice to get a bit of info from the seller so sometimes use the Sedo dropdown menu which has questions you can ask sellers.

Recently I have used the built-in question requesting stats from seller.

Instead of giving the stats the negotiations were quickly cancelled by seller. Also had that happen at other times including raising the price far beyond value such as 200k or whatever for a 1k name.

My question is why not simply give the data upon request? There is always a possibility the buyer was not looking for much traffic but mostly just curious about it and maybe wanting to see it it was at least not zero (my situation), or just wanting to communicate with seller and would buy it regardless of stats and traffic being low, so why the big secret? I don't get it :?:

Hi

here's a viewpoint

when you give stats for a domain, those who make offers tend to do so based on those stats.

this happens whether someone asks for stats or you provide them as part of "additional information", as i have in many of my sales threads.

the tendency of many tire-kickers here, won't "see" the domain on it's own merits, and "see" the potential to increase stats as an additional motivator.

rather they will see stats as just a negotiation tool...where they can use a "multiple" to determine price range.

thus, some sellers won't give stats, simply for that reason.

or they won't give stats without a binding initial offer, that entices them enough to go thru the motions to provide that data.

as in... "i want to know how much is it worth to you, before i supply stats"

because you may change you mind or try to lower your offer if stats don't 'stack-up'.

i had that happen in the last month via an email "back and forth" negotiation.

a buyer asked about a specific domain, where i replied with a price range.

the buyer wanted to test it and promised a good offer after testing.
i charged $$ for 7 day test

after testing, buyer only offered 2 yrs rev, and that value was based on a different ppc's stats that was much less than i was getting.

so you know how that ended ;)

imo...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my experience, bidders at Sedo ask for stats then:
  1. they use the stats to justify a low offer: "that name does not get any significant traffic" - yeah right but when they made the initial offer they could already see the domain gets xxx hits per month on average, as it's parked at Sedo that information is available
  2. they use your response as an excuse for canceling the thread
Saying that, I never sell domains just based on traffic.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my experience, bidders at Sedo ask for stats then:
  1. they use the stats to justify a low offer: "that name does not get any significant traffic" - yeah right but when they made the initial offer they could already see the domain gets xxx hits per month on average, as it's parked at Sedo that information is available
  2. they use your response as an excuse for canceling the thread
Saying that, I never sell domains just based on traffic.

When I ask for stats it's not to try and buy based on significant stats or the assumed low price possible with low stats. Instead, I like buyng domains with at least a little traffic only because it shows there is a bit of interest in the search term which means once the site gets developed it will get a small amount of assumed typein traffic even without any SEO work kicking into gear (which takes months or even years). And if there is a delay in developing it has a chance to make a little money on ppc to help subsidize renewal fees a little.

They are the reasons I like to know a name gets a small amount if traffic. When I say small I really mean small. During the days of domain tasting even 2 visits over 4 days was good eniugh for me to keep it. My aspirations are not real high like you may be thinking. I now consider just 30/month to a minisite as being relatively good (and acceptable) which is much better vs the majority of domans which I believe get basically no traffic.

Last edited:

mark

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To clarify my earlier comment, if you just state in your offer or advise when asked "assume little to no traffic" that should be sufficient for most people if you are selling a domain on the basis of its quality or potential for development in your opinion. I would not provide stats under those conditions.

If you are selling a domain which you are stating has good or high traffic and you are not willing to provide the stats for same for a reasonable period of time I would merely pass on the domain, assuming that you are either inexperienced in the business, have no idea what stats are (lol) or have inflated numbers for whatever reason.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To clarify my earlier comment, if you just state in your offer or advise when asked "assume little to no traffic" that should be sufficient for most people if you are selling a domain on the basis of its quality or potential for development in your opinion. I would not provide stats under those conditions.

If you are selling a domain which you are stating has good or high traffic and you are not willing to provide the stats for same for a reasonable period of time I would merely pass on the domain, assuming that you are either inexperienced in the business, have no idea what stats are (lol) or have inflated numbers for whatever reason.

There can be a big percenage difference beteen "little or no traffic." Not looking for good or high traffic as all I expect is low traffic stats, which is usually good enough for me. As I said, even low traffic at least shows there is a bit of assumed typein interest in the keyword term which means the term is probably commercially viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom