Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do some individuals insist on a FREE domain push to the registrar where they're selling the domain? Does anyone actually charge for this? Is this really an effective way to make a sale? Do you really think it's worth something to click 2 buttons to push to another account? :?:

Why not offer a free domain name transfer if requested? That might entice sales if you renew it for a year at the registrar they want it (or even renew it and then push it). But it's funny to see that I get a FREE push to GoDaddy if I buy a domain name. Your 2 seconds must be really worth something if it typically costs for this service!

Maybe I should start charging $5 per domain I push from my GoDaddy account to another, I mean some offer it free, yes. This is a very competitive pricing strategy with my proposed $5. However, it takes a lot of logistics to check a box, click a button, click a link, type an email TWICE, type a username, click a button, check two boxes and then click a button and I don't think I can keep up with the rising inflation to keep offering this service for free.

;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are so many gotchas at nodaddy, that perhaps people feel compelled to do so... it's some sort of conditioning :)

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It started with eBay sellers. Used to be a fee avoidance thing where sellers would list a name for a penny or 99 cents and then charge a "transfer" fee of $10 or so to push the name. I haven't seen anyone doing that in years, but the whole "free push" thing stuck. It may still have some value in your eBay listing, since a lot of newbies really don't understand how registrars work. But here on DNF I agree it is quite silly to even mention a "free" push.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
For large sales, I add an extra year if the domain is less than 3 months from expiration; otherwise, a push has zero cost and it should be free.

JamesBooth

www.BQDN.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its pretty pointless really. I certainly would not buy a domain any more if someone was offering me a FREE push and doubt many others would either :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
However, it takes a lot of logistics to check a box, click a button, click a link, type an email TWICE, type a username, click a button, check two boxes and then click a button and I don't think I can keep up with the rising inflation to keep offering this service for free.

;)

Hi David

if that be the rationale for adding such a cost-

then how much do/did you charge yourself, for searching, clicking, box checking, adding to, etc. to find the domain name...that this hypothetical "service fee" would apply to?

:rolleyes:

I say do it if you want, but add to overall price of the name.

as additional fee's are always seen as a negative.

imo...

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Biggie - I think your sarcasm detector must be out for repair :)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep - definitely a wink at the end. :cheesy:

I get the whole eBay thing, makes sense. I used to see domains on there with a BIN of 99/cents and a shipping (or transfer fee) of $10-$15. I don't think that practice goes on much anymore though... does it?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggie - I think your sarcasm detector must be out for repair :)

probably so,

my water heater broke this morning, and I'm impatiently waiting for service.

ironically, I was in line at homey depot yesterday and guy in front of me was buying a friggin water heater.

:(

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why you need a water heater this time of the year? :smilewinkgrin:

In Okinawa, the city water is pumped on to the top of the roof (I think to increase pressure?) in a large metal can and heats up in the sun. Summer showers are great without paying for gas to heat water... except that your gas bill goes away and your electricity bill triples for A/C. :disappointed:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why you need a water heater this time of the year? :smilewinkgrin:

In Okinawa, the city water is pumped on to the top of the roof (I think to increase pressure?) in a large metal can and heats up in the sun. Summer showers are great without paying for gas to heat water... except that your gas bill goes away and your electricity bill triples for A/C. :disappointed:

that's a "cool" way to heat water

but on the other side of that coin....a water tower recently fell off a building here in Chicago and injured some folks.

maybe I can talk about "boilerservice.com", while/when they do the install.

:)

and add push fee into price....

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not recent, but in the past I used to see sellers charging $20.00 or more to push.

This was prolific on ebay with people selling names below reg fee and making up the difference in "delivery" charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom