Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Wikipedia founder plans search engine to rival Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is working with Amazon to launch a search engine to rival Google, relying on human judgement rather than algorithms.

Wikiasari.com is scheduled to launch first quarter of 2007, backed by multimillion-dollar funding from Amazon.com and Silicon Valley financiers, reports the The Times of London. The name is taken from name from wiki, Hawaiian for "quick," and asari, Japanese for "rummaging search".

Wikiasari will use the same user-based technology as Wikipedia, an online encyclopaedia which allows readers to edit entries. The new search engine will work on a similar premise, with Wales claiming Google’s computer-based algorithmic searches are open to manipulation and are no match for human judgement.

Wales' comments come less than two week after Wikipedia unveiled free web hosting for community groups, on the condition they don't charge for their services. Deals of the plan came days after the announcement that Amazon.com was to be the first corporate investor in Wikipedia's commercial arm, Wikia.

Launched in 2001, Wikipedia has more than six million articles and is one of the world's most visited websites. The site has been dogged by controversy over its reliability and accuracy due to the fact readers can edit entries. High profile examples include the re-writing of journalist John Seigenthaler's biography in 2005 to claim he was linked to the assassinations of John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy. The incident forced Wikipedia to introduce safe guards into its entry creation and editing process.

This could make the search engine world very interesting in 2007.

Best,
Dan

Domain Days 2024

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
interested to see how this goes. Thanks for the info

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wikiasari? Please don't tell me thats the name of the search engine...

loscocco

is out kiteboarding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah it looks like it. He should have just used Wiki

a lot of the typos of it are already gone

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wikiasari? Please don't tell me thats the name of the search engine...
That's exacly what I was thinking... lol Good luck with that name...

BTW, if you go to wikiasari.com you can see that "Amazon has nothing to do with this project."

Very interesting project...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wonder who got the good ones? lol

names like wikisari.com will likely get thousands per day

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wikiasari to rival google? this has to be a joke, the name isn't even memorable.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wikiasari to rival google? this has to be a joke, the name isn't even memorable.
:smartass:

Well, neither is wikipedia...but it surely has BECOME memorable and gets a sh*t-ton of traffic...it has to begin somewhere, and a search engine piggy backing off that big of an audience should be an easy success...remember you don't need the whole pie..just a nice slice!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just remember folks, wikipedia is not an encyclopedia.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
since humans are doing the evaluating maybe they will screw up and base search on keywords in domain only, that would be cool

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont think it's url will be wikiasari...I have very very good reason to believe differently..but I DO know what they are gonna use...muhahahaha

They can call it the wikiasari but trust me the url will not be wikiasari.com...it's reg'd in his personal whois info anyways..not the company's name like some other domains they have..which tells me this is NOT the url..but I'm 99% sure I found it

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
more cool stuff....but that one has nothing to do with wikia

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If there going to attempt to rival Google, the domain will be a single word, short, memorable and easy to spell, theirs way too much money at stake, They have a domain, we just dont know it yet.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Latest news: Amazon has nothing to do with it
http://search.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Reporters and bloggers note: Amazon has nothing to do with this project. They are a valued investor in Wikia, but people are realllllly speculating beyond the facts. This has nothing to do with A9, Amazon, etc. Help me out, spread the word. I am looking for a community of people to continue the development of wikiasari and so on. Discuss here. Join the mailing list. ----Jimbo Wales 23:24, 23 December 2006 (UTC)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have a domain, we just dont know it yet.

My thinking exactly.

Not much of a google fan anymore since they bowed down to the Chinese government to restrict (very heavily I understand) searches. I'm learning some wikimedia web paged basics so I say go for it.

I have owned DinkiWiki.com, IkiWiki.com, InkiWiki.com, LikiWiki.com, and WinkiWiki.com for quite some time now. Maybe they'll want one of those.

Hell, maybe they bought Vodka.com for $3 mil. How could anyone forget that for a memorable search engine name?

Cool...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They should use A1W.com for "A1 Wiki" short memorable and you can't typo it..maybe I'll email them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom