Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Will the mobile phone boost .mobi b4 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The mobile phone is a pure wonderment these days at what it can accomplish. Perhaps that's why smartphones outsold PCs in Q4 2010. As it is, the mobile phone is treading down a rather ambitious road in R&D. No doubt, most development goals will be attained (many already have). Your cell phone will get to that point when you can control relevant functions of EVERY connected device (pc, car, ebook, tablet, microwave, home, tv, etc) via an installed control panel app from some company which may be started by you, some kid in his mother's basement or some big corporation you don't like. And your cellphone bill will go up $10.

And yes we will all have to wear bigger pants.

Sounds like a far off future? Well its already happening in patches the globe over. The only question is when it will hit mainstream. I predict no later than 2020.

Will .mobi rise from the ashes as the mobile industry progresses? Cellphone manufacturers and network carriers could partner to boost interest in .mobis by offering a free .mobi for every phone you buy. Would that work?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, because it's just another (limitative) extension.

There is no relationship between technology and domain extensions.
Likewise, I know some are still waiting for .tv to take off (after 15 years) but the growth of online video has nothing to do with domain extensions, .tv specifically.
Ditto for .tel.

Do the major players in the mobile industry use .mobi ? Hardly.
Do the major players in the aviation industry use .aero ? Nope.
Do the major players in the employment industry use .jobs ? Lol.
Do the major players in the travel industry use .travel ? Hmm.

Why would they ?
You get the point.
These days it's about com + ccTLD. Alternate extensions tend to remain alternate (maverick) vs mainstream.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi has some use and is still alive, but it never took off like some expected. I don't expect it will now either.

It seems that every time a new extension comes out it just makes the .com look better, and select country codes.

Soon we will have many more extensions coming out, but I believe the same thing will happen, it just makes .com stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom