Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Will there ever be non-exstension domain names!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well for one it's a little late for that ... could you imagine the lawsuites filled from the owners of the .com .net .whatever who all think they are entitled to the word.

Paul_Kuhn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My opinion: there will be technically no way to do that.
Look: you type "flowers" for example and hit enter.
So, how will the DNS know, whether you forgot the ".com" or not?

Ahoi!

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Ahoi!
Actually...
Using Forefox - will send you to #1 positioned site on Google.

Using IE - will send you to MSN search

D

Deleted member 4749

domain extension indicate where the term belongs.

.com - commercial
.org - nonprofit
.us - united states

extensions are strategically important.
moreover, one term e.g. "flowers" with no extension undermines excessive demand.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Within may be, 20 - 30 years ... who really knows ?

What I do think, is that within, again, too much time from now, it could be that you may pick your own extension, or you will have like a hundred extensions to pick from (besides the lots of ccTLD existing now).

Things change.

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
was attempted back inthe good ol days by a co. called realnames..using microsoft.... microsoft backed off...the co. went down the toilet.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Extensions these days generally mean nothing except popularity measured by public awareness. Of course there are 'reserved' extensions and many ccTLD's still have not been open to world wide usage (what we call 'liberalised'), but generally extensions are becoming less and less important.

However, your question asked will there be a time when no extensions are needed. If that did occur then only one company could own 'flowers' (as your example) whereas with the liberalisation of the ccTLD's many different companies can own 'flowers.??' or 'flowers.???'. This is one of the major areas for growth in the near future, the uptake by companies of lesser gTLD's and ccTLD's as they realise that they can also own memorable domain names, indeed with the right marketing they can utilise the suffix to their advantage, an example would be 'fish.com' and 'fish.net', it would take little marketing skill to promote 'fish.net' to make it as popular or even moreso than 'fish.com' amoung anglers.

Take away the suffix and you reduce choice and marketing ability and unleash confussion. Embrace the suffix and you can make a leader in the market!

sellingonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Ahoi!

Well, this is no problem, DNS's are not built to think ;) they just react on patterns and if you type in domain.co it also does not know if you forgot ".uk" or "m" or ".nz" or whatever - it just gives back an error, 100% right domain, yes/no - that's what they do...

So technically it's not even a slight problem, but anyway, I don't think it's a good idea, although I like to own business, sex, hotels, travel and some more without extension :yes: :yes: :yes:

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was done once before... called "RealNames" - supported by Microsoft's browser... See: http://essaysfromexodus.scripting.com/realNamesMicrosoft

If I remember correctly, these RealNames Keywords cost $100 per year and were somewhat restricted. I believe the idea was, if you typed in a company name, like Coca-cola, or Levis, you would go to the company site, and restrictions did not allow keywords like flowers or cars.

For non-Microsoft browsers - who knows what would happen.

There seems to have been some RealNames deal, for a brief time, to support IDNs. Funny now, how they seem to have been the last to support IDNs for real.

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think in the future we will have something similar to dotworlds.net where there are no set extensions and you can make up both sides of the dot. There will just be more and more ccTLD and then eventually they will decide to just give complete freedom since there are already over 200 extensions. So you could own something like flower.shop instead of flowershop.com or you could get something like bill.gates instead of billgates.com. It makes more sense than being restricted to specific extensions. I'm not saying dotworlds will be the company to do it but somehow and sometime in the future some company will.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it would be like taking away area codes from phone numbers - nothing would route properly ... don't think it can ever happen

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it would ruin local network setups, Say i have an intranet, Documents are stored on a computer called google, I would just type in google or http://google to access it, Any computer with a webserver installed would be a problem, how would the computer know wether you wanted google(search) or google(intranet)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom