Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Will using the term "NFL" in a domain name get me sued by the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrabTheName

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just bought NFLWorkout.com but now I'm worried about getting sued if I turn it into a football workout/exercise site. I'm sure it will get traffic due to the keyword density of the name. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Mark

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After five seasons of handicapping NFL games, NFLToday.com may forfeit its game. The National Football League filed suit against the gambling-oriented NFL site last week in U.S. District Court for the southern district of New York, alleging a laundry list of copyright violations. They included use of the trademarked NFL logo and team names, the NFL Today name of CBS' weekly pre-game show and links to content on the NFL's Web site without the league's permission.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5053/is_199912/ai_n18361064/

Sports Marketing: NFL Sues Over Planned Restaurants
http://www.allbusiness.com/marketing-advertising/branding-brand-development/4678198-1.html

They will punt you too :)

GrabTheName

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I could still use it and have no logos or football keywords in the content. Also put the letters nfl in lower case and have a disclaimer. I could say nfl stands for "not for ladies" workout. I think I would still get a lot of organic search traffic with the domain and sell affiliate products like P90X and such???

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After five seasons of handicapping NFL games, NFLToday.com may forfeit its game. The National Football League filed suit against the gambling-oriented NFL site last week in U.S. District Court for the southern district of New York, alleging a laundry list of copyright violations. They included use of the trademarked NFL logo and team names, the NFL Today name of CBS' weekly pre-game show and links to content on the NFL's Web site without the league's permission.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5053/is_199912/ai_n18361064/

Sports Marketing: NFL Sues Over Planned Restaurants
http://www.allbusiness.com/marketing-advertising/branding-brand-development/4678198-1.html

They will punt you too :)
Thanks for those links.

I had no idea this was going on.

Brutal.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I could say nfl stands for "not for ladies" workout. I think I would still get a lot of organic search traffic with the domain and sell affiliate products like P90X and such???

Yeah, sure. That will work.

/end sarcasm.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I could still use it and have no logos or football keywords in the content. Also put the letters nfl in lower case and have a disclaimer. I could say nfl stands for "not for ladies" workout. I think I would still get a lot of organic search traffic with the domain and sell affiliate products like P90X and such???

Not For Losers
Not For LightWeights
Nice (and) Fit Legs

The issue is that trademark law refers mainly to usage - I could get Windows.com and use it to sell stained glass and there isn't a thing Microsoft could do about it (as long as I had nothing in regards to computers on the site).

But - you're walking a thin line. The NFL could say that any NFL(sports related keyword) domain could infringe on their trademark.

Also - disclaimers may not help you. I think your best bet would be to find a good acronym that fits the site and then register the full domain (say NotForLightweightsWorkout.com) and develop / promote that site and then point the shortened version to it.

You're on thin ice with this domain - if you do develop it,make sure that you do not have a single ad in regards to football - which without some good keyword manipulations, can be hard with a fitness related site.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about using a domain with NFL in it as a blog about whats going on in the NFL?

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the point you are so desperately trying to avoid is that there really is no use for this name that would be "safe". You can do mental gymnastics all you want.... wont help

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I once had a site with the domain of a popular big league sports team. No ads etc..

Within a week I had a C&D demanding that I turn it over to the parent company.

I don't mind turning it over, if that is the case, but I wouldn't mind using it to post about the season, no ads, etc.

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I contacted the nfl concerning a domain I own. Today I was told by phone that there was no problem with my using the domain. I had contacted some nfl domain owners and neither had been approached by the nfl.

One of the domain/website owners I contacted has a domain very similar to mine. He said that he has never been contacted by the nfl regarding his domain and/or its use. His is nfl man dot come and mine is nfl guy dot com.

They might come back on me, but for now it seems to be smooth sailing.

One of my domains has an nfl prefix. A couple of days ago I contacted the nfl concerning a domain I own. Today they contacted me and advised that there was no problem with my using the domain.

In the meantime I had contacted some other nfl domain owners and neither had been approached by the nfl.

One of the domain/website owners I contacted has a domain very similar to mine. He said that he has never been contacted by the nfl regarding his domain/website and/or its use. His domain is nfl man dot come and mine is nfl guy dot com.

They might come back on me, but for now it seems to be smooth sailing.

Sorry about the double post and a couple of mis-spelled words. Thanks for the automerged double (triple) post. I'll do better next time.

One more 'automerged doublepost'. I hope it's OK with mods since this list is also posted in the other nfl thread. I thought maybe some members might not read the other thread. I also thought it was relevant to the topic and would possibly clear up some questions. If it's not OK to place it in both threads, please remove and let me know.

Here is a list of some domains that use nfl in their address. Some are developed sites, a couple are not being used, and some are listed for sale at SEDO.

free-nfl-predictions.com

nflyff.org

nflman.com

nfl-rumors.net

nfl--odds.net

nflflticket.org

nfl-bloggers.com

nflhome.com

nfleuropa.com

nfltouchdown.com

nfloddstrends.com

rnfl.com

nfl-tube.com

nfljuice.com

nfl-gambling-picks.com

nfldraftbible.com

nfl-history.co.cc

nflsportchannel.com

nfldraftu.net

nfl-players.com

GrabTheName

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks. I'm going to develop it as a football workout site with adsense. I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom