Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Windows XP Pro - the worst OS ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had my new laptop which came preinstalled with XP Pro, for just over a month, and I'm beyond annoyed..,

There are so many problems, it's worse than Windows 98, 95, ME, 3.1, 3.0, even 2.0!

These are just some of the problems I've experienced:

* XP constantly freezing at shutdown, resulting in manual turnoff being required.
* Removing external monitor causes random reboots
* PS2 external mouse freezes randomly
* Bluetooth USB isn't detected properly on startup
* Random bluescreens and reboots when using PCMCIA cards
* Touchpad scrollkeys randomly work and don't work
* Rollbacks don't work properly
* Various icons lose their actions

For an OS that costs nearly £300 retail, this is taking the utter p***. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone else here had problems with XP Pro, please feel free to post your problems.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your grief!
I've had similar problems with Win98 etc before and they can drive you crazy.
My experience with XP Pro and XP Home however has left me nothing but totally impressed with the smooth running of my systems, both laptop and desktop.
Laptops are regularly prone to problems but since having XP Pro on mine I have had trouble-free activity despite regular downloads etc.
Maybe it is more of a problem with your laptop than with XP, sometimes the software/hardware packages supplied by manufacturers are not suitable and/or compatible.
Make sure that you have all of the patches etc by going to the Windows Update site - whatever the case I hope that you soon solve your problems.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had a pretty good run with XP Home. I've noticed a few problems lately though. I also sometimes find my computer will reboot on its own when I remove my other monitor (not actually removing it, but removing it in the software.)

Also, sometimes when I open a folder 80% of my desktop will be grey, and I can't do anything unless I reboot.

When I get a screwed up browser or program, I don't get a bluescreen (In fact, I haven't seen a bluescreen yet) or anything to evil. Just Alien Autopsy loads up (from Alienware).

RMF

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love XP Pro, no problems and I have been running it since day 1 release.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
XP is known to be the steadiest Windows OS since 95. Perhaps the problem lies in that it's SOOO different from 98/Me ...

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a desktop and it started having some of the problems you mentioned, so I exchanged it for another computer and still experienced the same thing.

It turned out the problem was caused by a Intel Celeron processor. I eventually upgraded to a Vaio laptop with an AMD processor and everything is great now.

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
been running XP pro from beta and had no probs and i have an 4 yr old DELL. pentium 3 CPU.. put my collegue has had lots of problems running it on a non brand machine..

wilco

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i hate the XP home version we have on our desktop, very fast P4 machine and it is slow as hell because of XP. The machine is fine, we have had it checked out, but having 4 users seems to get XP all messed up, it crashes quite offen and likes to start printing page after page of gobeltygooke for no reason :mad:

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
XP Pro is the best OS yet from microsoft. I don't have the time to read this entire thread, but from what I saw, you are using the pre-installed OS that came with the laptop right? Format it, and star over.

It is never the softwares fault, just the users :D

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
XP pro is the best OS by far. Make sure you do those patches.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have XP home and it is the most stable system I have ever had on one of my PCs

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Devolution, what kind of processor are you using?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Strange thing is, on my desktop i have XP home and no problems at all - much more stable than any OS i had before.

On my laptop i'm using XP Pro though and it gives me shitloads of problems, most of them are EXACTLY the same ones that devolution has described.

Wonder if it's like XP Pro and laptops just don't work together for some odd reason ?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
Wonder if it's like XP Pro and laptops just don't work together for some odd reason ?

Nope!

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My laptop is a Compaq Evo with AMD Athlon XP 2Ghz processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom