Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

WLS a certainty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well is it? From what I've read it sounds like it is.... if so, any rumored date that it's going to be implemented? :confused:

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it will be implemented. Should be up on or about July 25th.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoobar
I believe it will be implemented. Should be up on or about July 25th.

soo.. if I have a snap on a name dropping July 31 2003, I might as well change right away?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by icehole

soo.. if I have a snap on a name dropping July 31 2003, I might as well change right away?

You may still have a chance after that date if no one buys the WLS on it. The WLS is a pretty big gamble since it can't be re-used on another name if the owner renews like a snap. It's only a sure thing AFTER the redemption period is over.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hold your horses. :) WLS still faces hurdles. Dotster, eNom, GoDaddy and others won't just roll over. Wait and see. :)

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok. Since I don't really understand everything about WLS, I will ask some more.

How much will a WLS cost?
If I buy one, am I guaranteed to get the name when it expired?

WIll there be different places selling WLS's?
Is there a possibility for a snap to beat a wls?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and another question

If WLS comes into action end of july, does that mean there is no point putting snaps on name that expire now and drop in 2 months?

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I would also like to know about some of them questions... except, if & when WLS come in.... I don't think there will be any chance for a snap to beat a WLS, as I don't think drop services will be run anymore correct?

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought verisign owns snapnames and that our snaps will be converted to wls snaps if possible. I read somewhere that indicated all current snaps would hopefully convert to a wls type snap. In other words snap names will convert to the new wls system when it is implemented.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebHold
I thought verisign owns snapnames and that our snaps will be converted to wls snaps if possible. I read somewhere that indicated all current snaps would hopefully convert to a wls type snap. In other words snap names will convert to the new wls system when it is implemented.

really? Are you sure about that? Cause then I am happy.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So in other words if you have a snap on a name that expries after WLS is brought in then your guaranteed the name with the converted WLS subscription? :confused:

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cyphix
So in other words if you have a snap on a name that expries after WLS is brought in then your guaranteed the name with the converted WLS subscription? :confused:

I also need to know this

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SnapNames holders would not (if WLS is ever launched) get first dibs on WLS slots. There'd be a "landrush" on Day 1 for slots. SnapNames would likely try to push them over with their 19 registrar partners, but no guarantees of getting the WLS slot.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last I heard, the WLS will be wholesaled to participating registrars at $25-30, and they mark it up from there. It should be a guarantee that if the name drops, the WLS holder will get it. I believe it will only work on .com and .net domains that NSI still controls.

I think there will be other service for other domain TLD's and for those who don't want to pay for a WLS and lose their money if the original owner renews at the last minute. The quality of names will probably be lower though, since a WLS will trump all the drop services.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
holy moley!

But... Are they exchangeable? Like if I buy a WLS and I want to change it, to put it on another name?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would sure suck to have to throw away my snaps, just cause of WLS...

what would you people say the odds are for WLS coming into power? Anyone got any inside info?

60-40? 70-30? 95-5?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Verisign does not own SnapNames (Snap would just license technology to them for the WLS System). WLS slots will not be exchangeable. If the name doesn't drop you lose your money - but odds are you are never going to have a chance to get a WLS slot on a decent name in the first place.

Since only one possible shot for a name will exist, the big boys will wrap those slots up in the blink of an eye. IMO WLS will pretty much wipe out any chance of the rest of us ever getting a decent dropping name. It will also put all of the current drop catchers out of business. So instead of a variety of vendors giving you multiple chances at a name - you will have one vendor offering one chance - which will obviously be grabbed months before the name even pops up on most people's radar - meaning everyone else is out in the cold - and a huge number of us out of business.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
man... wtf!

Why did they have to go and do this... I never really understood why we can't have it the way it is now... :(

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not done yet and I have my doubts that it is coming any time soon. Enom, Godaddy, Dotser and the rest have already served notice they will put up a fight. If this ends up in the courts you know they are never able to reach a decision in less than 2-3 years.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...and my guess is the big guys will act as their own registrars or at least get wholesale prices on WLS reservations as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom