Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

World's Worst Attempts To Buy Your Domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's the worst way some person or company ever approached you to try to buy your domain?

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love getting offers like the one below.

>An offer has been made to buy *******.com
>Name: giko
>Email: *****@******.pl
>Offering Price: $1$
>Additional Comments:

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
typeins said:
I love getting offers like the one below.

>An offer has been made to buy *******.com
>Name: giko
>Email: *****@******.pl
>Offering Price: $1$
>Additional Comments:

Well, I'll buy that for a dollar!

How about something like this scenario:

You have the valuable singular of "somedomain.com.," which also has a much higher Google count.

Competitor has the plural "somedomains.com."

Competitor sends you an email kind of like:

"Good evening - Golly jeepers - I'm just trying to help out my site visitors with typos to help them get to my site and all. Would you sell me your valuable singular form of this domain for $100? You know, the one where the singular keyword is the one that's in the dictionary, even though I'm talking about typos here? Aw, shucks - thanks for your time in reading this. Gee willickers - yup, just trying to help out my visitors is all - oh me, oh my, oh...what a world. $100. Let's go now. Thanks."

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Hi Buddy,

We are a charity based in XxXXxX. Although we haven't officially set up our charity yet, our acronym will be XXXXXX which directly corresponds to the domain name XXXXX.XXX which you own. By sending us your domain name for no fee you will have the inner happiness of knowing that you have helped thousands of people worldwide to fulfill their life long dreams plus the added personal karma of having done good in a turbulent and cruel world.
My enom account name is XXXXXX.
Please send us the name sooner rather than later.
Be Blessed.

XXXXX"

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very clever of them! Ha ha ha.

Ed30 said:
"Hi Buddy,

We are a charity based in XxXXxX. Although we haven't officially set up our charity yet, our acronym will be XXXXXX which directly corresponds to the domain name XXXXX.XXX which you own. By sending us your domain name for no fee you will have the inner happiness of knowing that you have helped thousands of people worldwide to fulfill their life long dreams plus the added personal karma of having done good in a turbulent and cruel world.
Be Blessed.

XXXXX"

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm a student and my budget is limited. Can I have your dictionary domain for $20 ?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
"Hi Buddy,

Be Blessed.

XXXXX"

I got 2 of these this week, but they always claim to be non-profits. I tell them that .ORG for for non-profits, .COM is for COMMERICIAL use. If they want to break the rules and get a commercial name, they can pay commercial prices.

I've about had it with the charities...

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha.

JuniperPark said:
I got 2 of these this week, but they always claim to be non-profits. I tell them that .ORG for for non-profits, .COM is for COMMERICIAL use. If they want to break the rules and get a commercial name, they can pay commercial prices.

I've about had it with the charities...

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
copy and pasted with 'X'ing out domain name:

"Hello. I'll get to the point right away. I am willing to save you time by offering you 100 USD (United States Dollars) for your domain XXXXXXXX.XXX
This will make it easier for you, as managing domains is difficult, and after the year 2000, it is just a waste of money. You can see it as an early christmas gift. What do you say?"

Received Dec. 19, 2004
My answer was probably better, but I wont post it... lol
I like the way he used the 'United States Dollars' instead of just $100
I have received and refused hi $XXXX numberd for this domain on Sedo, and he wants to do me a favor and help me out with $100

P10n33R

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had offers for like $1.00, I know my domains are worth at least $10.00

M

mole

I occasionally send out these bloopers when I am tired;

"Hello, I'm the owner of the .com version of your name, and I need your name for redirection purposes to my .com. I am, however, willing to offer _____"

"Hello, I noticed your name is at eNom. How convenient. Just push your name to my eNom account and I will PayPal you $____"

Looks very innocent, but I suspect the domain holder gets really pissed that I am suggesting his name is not worth much like I'm doing the person a favor or something.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TXstate .com - Some student said he wanted to use it for a website about his school Texas State University and was hoping I'd just give it away. It was clear he knew what it was worth though so I laughed when he then said ok, well how about $50, we can't afford too much for it? I told him sorry and that a travel name with 100 unique typeins per day is worth more than a student's laundry money (ie: Dallas.txstate.com, Houston.txstate.com, etc...) That's the closest I've had to a lame attempt, I've received a couple of the "charity" attempts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom