Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Worth it to buy the .net of your .com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparshpolly

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to figure something out. Right now there is a domain I am considering buying. It is the .com version and its ~$2500. The .net is being sold by the buydomains.com brokerage firm. They are asking $1888.00. Is it worth it for me to buy the .net to protect my company in the future? I know bestbuy.net isn't owned by bestbuy.com, however I am sure bestbuy.net is worth a heck of a lot more now. Do you see what I'm saying? The prices I've listed are a fair bit of change to me. Just wondering people's perspectives though because maybe I'd save myself some cash doing it now rather then in the future.

Thanks

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would just buy the .com and monitor the net...if the price or owner changes, consider it then.

sparshpolly

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I should say the name starts with an 'n' - perhaps making the .net more valuable? Although its not really related to the .net. Ah well... if the ownership changes hands, does that mean somone bought it at the brokerage, also making the future asking price even higher?

Speculation but it could save me some g's - I am sure other people have struggled with this before as well.

Kind regards

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not really, unless your .com gets at least 10000 uniques per day.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Answer the following questions:-

1) I really want this extension ...... yes/no
2) The money isn't important ....... yes/no

Answer "yes" to 2 questions - get the name.
Anything less it and it probably isn't worth it - if it's with BD it probably isn't going anywhere fast.

sparshpolly

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot peeps. Those posts were very helpful. I think it may be best to hold off. The money is actually important at this point. And I guess I don't NEED the extension now. I plan to grow this name though and brand it etc, this is why I am thinking so hard on this.

If it is a matter of holding off on the .net that is with BD and getting another .com that is a bit cheaper that I want also, I am guessing many would think that is more intelligent. Because with this original .com that I have posted about here, branding will take me some time as I am not loaded.

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First thing to do after getting the .com is to get the .org/info/biz/us and/or .co.uk if they are available for registration - for a few bucks you might as well get all you can at reg fee if you're paying $x,xxx for the .com

The .net is a tough decision. If you've got plenty of cash, and this is going to be a big project, then I would say get it.

Obviously the cash is a major factor in your decision so you have to think about what you could do with that cash. Almost $2k could go a long way in advertising/branding, site design/graphics, coding and/or script purchases.

If you think the cash will do better for the biz used for the above purposes then don't buy the .net - wait until the biz has started pulling in some cash and then reconsider, hopefully it wil still be there for about $2k

Good luck

.pagerating.com

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In some respects you want somebody to buy the .net version and develop it, you would get a lot more free visitors to your .com than you would lose to their .net

If it doesn't get developed you really wont lose that much with people typing in .net instead of .com

Another angle is would somebody else really buy the .net version for $1888 if the .com is not available for them also

sparshpolly said:
Hello,

I am trying to figure something out. Right now there is a domain I am considering buying. It is the .com version and its ~$2500. The .net is being sold by the buydomains.com brokerage firm. They are asking $1888.00. Is it worth it for me to buy the .net to protect my company in the future? I know bestbuy.net isn't owned by bestbuy.com, however I am sure bestbuy.net is worth a heck of a lot more now. Do you see what I'm saying? The prices I've listed are a fair bit of change to me. Just wondering people's perspectives though because maybe I'd save myself some cash doing it now rather then in the future.

Thanks

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
additionally, check out archive.org and see if the .net has been developed, if it has and it still has existing links you should really consider the purchase. if not i totally agree with pagerating.com - if only the .net is available why would someone buy it if all the other tlds point to you?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if the .com has No traffic, then hand regg another .com and all the other extensions.

use the $2500 to build your brand thru suggestions given by "domaindruid".

the $1800 that you considered spenting for "BD's" .net version, can be added to the budget above!

sparshpolly

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks very kindly guys. The .net doesn't look like it ever was developed in wayback. I went ahead and got the .com because it is a one word .com and I believe it was a pretty good deal. The other things concerning the .net makse sense, so it wouldn't be such a bad thing for me if someone did buy the .net.

I appreciate very much the help you have given me. It can be tough in the beginning and it is nice to have great feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom