Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Would a well known movie name have any TM issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nparkin0

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am considering buying a well known movie name .com and was wondering whether it would infringe any TM issues.

I have looked on ipo.gov.uk and can not find anything movie related however there are a few trademarks files for the same word for totally different products.

Would there be any possible issues I might have with this name...its a well known British movie, not too sure about in America.

Hope someone can help.

Thank in advance.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, movie companys like warner brothers are one of the most aggressive at getting their tm's dealt with.

-=DCG=-

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By definition "well known" creates TM problems.

shiffy

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It can be a TM issue, however from my experience with a movie domain I created a fan site and have been by Universal Pictures. They said they love what I'm doing and have been following my site for quite some time. So it all depends on the situation.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the entire domain is the movie title, most likely issues.

-=DCG=- is correct. Some of these movie companies and the Academy Awards people are very aggressive.

If what you are talking about purchasing has anything to do with a movie, you must not allow any reference to the movie to show.

However, Shiffy is also right regarding the fan site. I have yet to see any of these movie conglomerates address the issue with ALL sites. Especially when it comes down to posting logos and art work. There seems to be some tolerance to sites that they think promotes the industry.

Just be aware before you buy the name that there is a risk of losing the domain. It is not just a matter of losing a name if you pump in money to have a site built.

Just by you posting such concern over a TM shows you have some doubts.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yup, wargames.com was one in which it was a well known movie title, and the registrant prevailed. However, he had clear good faith use.

Unless someone says otherwise, I presume that the use will be a PPC page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom