Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Would you reg it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about registering a four character .ws with 90K OT in May, 5.5 million Google links, and fits perfectly with one of the alternate definitions of .ws (web services) .

Would you reg it?

If so, at what threshold of OT searches and Google links would you say no... time to move on.

Just curious.

Thanks.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why not? It's only $9.95.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That "why not" gets a lot of people in trouble, everytime you do it, it gets easier and easier. Don't waste your money and leave it alone.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wyvern has the right idea. If you are going to get it to actually do something with it, then buy it.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3
That "why not" gets a lot of people in trouble, everytime you do it, it gets easier and easier. Don't waste your money and leave it alone.

Sage-like advice for all. :)

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want to take a crack at the purchase threshold question?

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for .ws, I don't think there is a threshold, since those search numbers don't really help people find .ws sites

if you want to waste your money on one, do you really need fake numbers to justify it? if you like the name and want to develop it, by all means do that, but understand that the domain will always be the least valuable part of the investment.

oops... did I just break a taboo? :)

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FrontRow
for .ws, I don't think there is a threshold, since those search numbers don't really help people find .ws sites

if you want to waste your money on one, do you really need fake numbers to justify it? if you like the name and want to develop it, by all means do that, but understand that the domain will always be the least valuable part of the investment.

oops... did I just break a taboo? :)

No rule have been broken that I know of ;). If there was one, the mods will delete this tread in due time.

So, the take-home message I'm reading here is that OT and Google numbers aren't that important. The real question is, "would I develop it myself?"

That said, when I look over the Sales list here at DNF day after day, I see list after list of the crapiest names known to mankind. Yeah, they might be .com, but suck means suck in any extension.

People really should take your advice to heart. Personally, I would develop all of my domains in a heartbeat if I had the time. I definitely agree that the tipping point is one of individual use.

GREAT suggestion!

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, there is a distinction between a rule and a taboo... I am pretty sure we won't be deleted :)

The advice is genuine though. If buying the name will make you happy, then it is a bargain. If you see it as an investment, you'd be better off in a money market fund.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FrontRow
Actually, there is a distinction between a rule and a taboo... I am pretty sure we won't be deleted :)

The advice is genuine though. If buying the name will make you happy, then it is a bargain. If you see it as an investment, you'd be better off in a money market fund.

Money Market.... maybe two years ago. Real-Estate today. ;)

Good advice... FOR ALL!

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually OT numbers mean considerably more than google numbers..

Everyone gives you Google numbers because they are higher..But Google numbers simply represent how many times a word/phrase shows up ....and if anything shows how many pages of competition you have..

OT on the other hand gives you a fair idea of Market.. is anyone actualkly searching for your word/phrase...
OT does matter you just have to learn to use it correctly..

Nut I agree wyvern and Jh..

if you plan on developing it.. grab it

if not.. where you going to sell .ws ...not in here ! ;)

good luck..

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
Actually OT numbers mean considerably more than google numbers..

Everyone gives you Google numbers because they are higher..But Google numbers simply represent how many times a word/phrase shows up ....and if anything shows how many pages of competition you have..

OT on the other hand gives you a fair idea of Market.. is anyone actualkly searching for your word/phrase...
OT does matter you just have to learn to use it correctly..

Nut I agree wyvern and Jh..

if you plan on developing it.. grab it

if not.. where you going to sell .ws ...not in here ! ;)

good luck..

I agree with your position regarding OT; however I disagee regarding the resale of .ws. I've sold several .ws names RIGHT HERE.

Anyhow, I think my original point of posting this thread somehow got lost.

It's not about .ws, it's about any name. I'm really interested in ascertaining some numbers and attributes regarding names that make them something you jump at or something you pass up.

Right now the list contains:

1. Would you develop it yourself?

2. OT numbers, but no specific numbers to quantify. What is your personal threshold for purchasing a name?

3. Google numbers, but no specific numbers to quantify.

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. I would absolutely want to develop it myself....all I have to do is find the time to develop all that I would like to.

2. Personally I like to see at least 10K worth of OVT searches, although that's not an absolute. Once you see that, you know there is interest in the words, not only at OVT, but also at the other engines like Google, MSN and Yahoo.

Remember though that OVT searches are those that you pay for....if you intend to develop, then actually use OVT, you must also check the key words on OVT and see what users are paying for them...if they are going for $ per hit, you may think twice about developing that site because of the high competition. That will probably also translate to large numbers of Google results. All those really show you is there are a lot of sites related to your keyword.

3. Guess what? Google results only do you good if you can get your site into the top twenty, and preferably in the top ten. It doesn't matter if there are 50 or 50 million results. The only way you are going to do that is with some good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and getting a bunch of incoming links to your site (preferably sites related to your topic and with high PR.

Hope this helps with your questions.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
develop ? reg it.
resell ? don't reg it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom