Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wow, look at whois!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Today there was maintenance scheduled on .com/.net/.org. .ORG is transitioning away from verisign, and whois is currently broken. .COM & .NET whois now have the status (registrar-lock, active, etc), updated dated, creation date, and expiration date in the whois provided by verisign, in a consistent format!!

Wow.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is new is that status, updated date, creation date, and expiration date are being provided by verisign rather then the registrar, and in a standardised format that will not change depending on where the domain is registered.

braincells

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ddnet ... I am rather curious to know how will this affect the domain buyers....whether in a positive way or in the typical V$ way ??

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think opinions will differ on whether it is a positive thing or not. Personally, I view it as positive - I think all the information should be in a standardized format. This change will allow the more of the whois information to be displayed in different formats more easily - a program could arrange the domains and their expiration in a tabular format for instance, without needing to know the details of the format of every registrar out there (and there are a lot!). Some people will argue that the change will make it easier for people who register expired domains with ill intent, but they are doing that anyway, so I don't think this will help them too much.

In short: More information is available more easily to the average person due to this change. I think this is a good thing.

braincells

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at the brighter side of the chnages, what u have to say is acceptable...but isn't it scary to put sooo much into the hands of V$ ??

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, its information they already had... they are just making it publically available now.

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
will the new registry for org will switch to own systems and offer own RRP access?

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The .ORG registry will be run by the Internet Society (ISOC), although the actual technical operation has been contracted out to Afilias. It will change to a 'thick' registry modell, where all the information will be centrally stored. Changes in the zone files will take minutes rather then days to take effect, meaning new registrations will be available very quickly. The money when you register a domain will go to different people. Little else will change.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NSI's whois still times out and gives the following error for any domain registered through Enom. For any other registrar they may not give you the contact info but at least they let you know the domain is registered and with what registrar. NSI must really hate Enom.

"Error

We're sorry but we cannot process your request at this time. Please try again or select from the options below."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom