Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.WS Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've found a couple of domain names that I like and only the .WS is available and they have fairly decent overture scores on the keywords.

1) Is This Domain Extension Worth Registering?
2) Where Can I Find The Lowest Pricing Per Year?
3) Any other advice/comments you can give....

Thanks.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy
I've found a couple of domain names that I like and only the .WS is available and they have fairly decent overture scores on the keywords.

Thanks.

1) No
2) Any price is too high
3) Don't do it. :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

Clem,

I bought Nano.ws, Retirement.ws and SocialSecurity.ws a month ago. I'm pretty sure I could resell above reg fee if I wanted to. In the SE's, it's all about the stuff before the dot (and optimization).

bottomline: Noncom names, especially ccTLD's are probably better for development then actual resell. Two exceptions would be .US & .DE. I plan to develop, get in SE's, rank high, then sell..

M

mole

Originally posted by izopod
In the SE's, it's all about the stuff before the dot (and optimization).

I believe its also after the dot as in

lousydomain.ws/nano

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

I believe its also after the dot as in

lousydomain.ws/nano

If it's after the dot, it's got to be .bizâ„¢

:yes:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One last point to bring up here. With more names projected to hit the DNS in the future, what will be the biggest factor in a TLD's success? Will it be "vanity" or "search engine ranking"?? Sheer registration #'s alone I think we can all agree don't mean "diddley" in the final analysis... As we know a lot of corporations defensively register names, as well do other names associated with their products.

Right now the reason dot com is kicking everyone's butt is the fact that most dot com sites rank high in the SE's because they've got a lock on sheer volume of registered, working sites. They also have a "vanity" quality to them.

If noncom's want to inject a sense of popularity my guess is that it will have to be done in the SE's (hint, hint Neulevel/Neustart/.Ws). Vanity of certain non-com's are an added bonus, but in reality it's all about Ranking high in the SE's for the particular TLD as a whole. Search Engines have proven themselves to be excellent marketing tools. They also have given "obscure" sites/TLDs a following...

I smell a study coming on....

Where do .us (top level)/.biz/.info/.ws rank in popular keywords in the top search engines? First you would have to decide what are the top "keywords". I would say 25 would be a good # to start with.... Then you would have decide what SE's "matter" for this study... (Google, et al). I would say the top 4 SE's would be a good indicator. Then I would include in the study, and "error factor" since not all SE's rank sites the same.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One problem I noticed if you did try to do a study is how you would assign a value to where a "tld" would be found in a se...

Just doing a cursory glance on Google, inputing the word "sex" into the search field produces 185 million sites. Of course there is only .com/.org as far as the eye can see.

Maybe a way to judge success would be to identify how many sites with a particular TLD ending are represented by each "keyword". (Of course there are problems with this as well, but nonetheless, keywords are what help sites/tlds rank high)

Just doing a quick search on google I found:

(cut/paste)

site:.biz sex - 452,000
site:.info sex - 199,00
site:.ws sex - 62,700
site:.us sex (invalid as a lot of Sex Offender type sites represented on state gov sites)--will have to figure a way to get just "Yourname.us" sites--maybe from All the Web.com??

site:.biz travel - 172,000
site:.info travel - 145,000
site:.ws travel - 32,700

site:.biz sports - 121,000
site:.info sports - 96,600
site:.ws sports - 18,400

site:.biz entertainment - 103,000
site:.info entertainment - 81,700
site:.ws entertainment - 9,260

site:.biz music - 140,00
site:.info music - 200,000
site:.ws music - 35,900

site:.biz pictures - 447,000
site:.info pictures - 237,000
site:.ws pictures- 56,000

Are you starting to see a trend? I think from just doing this cursory search albeit "selective" towards top key words, I realized that the "future" success of a TLD will depend on it's #'s represented in top keywords. With our population aging, a dot travel probably would score high in "travel" keywords, but low in everything else. Will this be enough to guarantee it's success?? That's what I like about .biz and in some respects .info. They can't be "trapped" into certain keywords.....

Hmmm....

izopodian philosophy: Buy TLDs that can't be pegged into any one hole...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did a side-by-side comparison of .ws with other so-called "marketed ccTLDs", and this is how they stack up. I would venture to guess it all comes down to marketing. .CC got popular with Beauty.cc going for 5 mil. Dot TV has been extensively marketed. .bz (almost non-existent). This could serve as a warning to the new TLD registrars. Market your TLD or die!

I still say go for it if you think you can get a keyword in .ws, but don't bet the "bank" that it will a "popular" extension. In this situation it boils down to the word and not the extension. If Retirement.ws is on page 2 under the search word "retiement" is it any less valuable than any other non-com/net/org on that same page??

site:.cc sex - 147,000
site:.tv sex - 75,800
site:.ws sex - 62,700
site:.bz sex - 16,800

site:.cc travel - 74,500
site:.tv travel - 79,800
site:.ws travel - 32,700
site:.bz travel - 10,900

site:.cc sports - 26,300
site:.tv sports - 78,200
site:.ws sports - 18,400
site:.bz sports - 2,230

site:.cc entertainment - 18,500
site:.tv entertainment - 71,900
site:.ws entertainment - 9,120
site:.bz entertainment - 1,320

site:.cc music - 83,300
site:.tv music - 105,000
site:.ws music - 35,900
site:.bz music - 4,150

site:.cc pictures - 60,600
site:.tv pictures - 105,000
site:.ws pictures- 56,000
site:.bz pictures - 2,040

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.ws are difficult to sell, but I noticed reservations.ws (not mine) has been sold for $500 at afternic.com recently. Godaddy seems to have the lowest price at the moment. Good luck!

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe Neulevel doesn't need any hints. Forgot about their "site submission" service. Not a bad "add on" service. Anything that can get .biz names ranking high will only benefit them.

http://www.neulevel.biz/bizpromote/

Granted they submit other TLDs too, but I bet the majority are .biz sites.

:cool:

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy seems to have the lowest price at the moment.

$9.95!! This is really cheap compared to other places like Namecheap and Enom ~$29!

I will probably register a few names that I want to use for sites that are already taken in other TLDs. :D

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

$9.95!! This is really cheap compared to other places like Namecheap and Enom ~$29!

I will probably register a few names that I want to use for sites that are already taken in other TLDs. :D

Godaddy calls this a "sale". It means that the prioce will eventually go up to about $7 more. Consider this when registering names and anticipate the additional expense at renewal time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom