Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.ws Thoughts And Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about .ws? Anyone have developed .ws sites? Any thoughts on the conspiracy theories about Google suppressing search results?

hawkeye

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heck with the Google conspiracy! Everyone avoids .ws!!!

If you have a great keyword in mind that you want/need to build your website/project on, and that is your only extension choice, sure go for it.

But if you're hoping to resell the name, or hope that it may get some type in traffic for the term, ...waste of money IMO. (and others!)

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.ws names are billion dollar industry and have priorty over .coms LMAO

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
Heck with the Google conspiracy! Everyone avoids .ws!!!

If you have a great keyword in mind that you want/need to build your website/project on, and that is your only extension choice, sure go for it.

But if you're hoping to resell the name, or hope that it may get some type in traffic for the term, ...waste of money IMO. (and others!)

.ws can be developed and ranked pretty good in SE> I know as I;ve done it myself. About reselling it won't get too much.

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a developer and have found a really nice one word, 6 character, dictionary term that dropped after 6 years. I have one other .ws domain (PensacolaBeach.ws) that is being developed as a fun family project, but it's not performing very well within the SEs. It's only been live for about 4 months so maybe I'm not being fair, but this new .ws domain I'm referencing would need to perform better.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why invest in a TLD that has virtually no local market ?
This applies to many extensions, not just .ws.

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why invest in a TLD that has virtually no local market ?
This applies to many extensions, not just .ws.

I'm assuming that you are referencing the PensacolaBeach.ws domain? If so:
1. Pensacola Beach is where we vacation and the whole family enjoys the experience. I'm currently in the process of teaching my wife and kids HTML, WordPress, SEO and Photoshop so it's more of a learning project. If it makes a few bucks in the process, whoop-de-do. The best available .com was PColaBch.com, which I did register as well.
2. .ws is marketed as "web site" which I realize is just that, marketing, but I'm willing to market in the same manner. It's a stretch, but worth it I believe if a short, generic keyword is available to hand reg when logic would dictate that the .com will never become available. In other words, I believe that PensacolaBeach.ws trumps PensacolaBeachVacationFun.com

If I misunderstood your question, please excuse me and clarify.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 241 names parked at sedo, last month as far as unique views go, position 1 and 2 were both .ws names, then again it could be just that my .coms suck that much more lol

Years ago I sold many premium .ws names at less then premium prices besides 2 in the 1.2k range. It does seem to be much harder these days flipping/selling them but none the less I pick a new one up here and there.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have encrypt.ws , does .ws mean "website" ???

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No but thats what the cctld owners were marketing it as. It stands for Western Samoa, but then again .tv doesnt stand for Television and .me doesnt stand for ME.

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have encrypt.ws , does .ws mean "website" ???

I believe that "ws" is actually Western Samoa, but Western Samoa sold the rights to Global Domains who markets the extension as meaning "WebSite".

http://website.ws/

Some people think it hokie, but marketing is marketing and at least in this instance, I think it works,... to a degree.

I just hand regged SHOPPE.WS, we'll see where it goes. It's parked right now, but plan to develop. Also has canonical possibilities:
pet.shoppe.ws, beauty.shoppe.ws, sex.shoppe.ws :blush: etc. It's a $13.50 roll of the dice...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm a developer and have found a really nice one word, 6 character, dictionary term that dropped after 6 years. I have one other .ws domain (PensacolaBeach.ws) that is being developed as a fun family project, but it's not performing very well within the SEs. It's only been live for about 4 months so maybe I'm not being fair, but this new .ws domain I'm referencing would need to perform better.
Any TLD is okay for development. I'm just saying that .ws are usually not valuable undeveloped so we may be in agreement here :)

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.ws names are only $8.99 @ DynaDot.com by the way.

Thanks, I don't know anything about them, are they an okay registrar? Do they offer free DNS?

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They are good people, I have about 200 names with them, all the same features as most registrars plus you can grace delete .ws within 5 days for a full credit if you regret your purchase.

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tippy, do you get offers on "house.ws"? Did you hand reg? Thanks for the input on DynaDot.com, I'll give them a look-see.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No offers to date, a few lookers... I regged it via Website.ws so its costing me $35 per year. Once renewal comes along I will be transfering out of there, dont like using their site to reg names honestly besides the fact that they charge like 3 times as much.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had some good .ws names.

I regged them, and Sold them next day. Lmao for 5x

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are good people, I have about 200 names with them, all the same features as most registrars plus you can grace delete .ws within 5 days for a full credit if you regret your purchase.

Thanks again for the info. I setup an account and hand regged ANIMAL.WS.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the info. I setup an account and hand regged ANIMAL.WS.

LOL, I owned that very name like a couple days ago but grace deleted it, not sure why I did, its not a bad name at all... if it was the plural I probubly wouldnt have released it back into the wild. I dont think you will loose any $ on this one, certainly worth the $9 you paid for it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom