Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.ws = Web Services...

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another example of a "web services" type name:

http://www.totaldesign.ws/

More and more sites are offering some type of "web services". Soon, I will be too...

www.Retirement.ws
www.Database.ws

Some thoughts on all this

Retirement.ws was just purchased less than a month ago and Database.ws was picked up only a few days ago for little as pocket change.... The only reason I was able to: Speculators passed on .ws big time... which is fine by me. :D

izopodian philosphy: Don't always follow speculation, get a head of it.

M

mole

You must be bored pod :D Save your money for .eu at the end of the year.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
You must be bored pod :D Save your money for .eu at the end of the year.

Beatz said .eu going to wither on the vine. Not sure about that. I am personally waiting for the day .NA (north america) rolls-out. That way I can put another "CANOE" name into my arsenal. You can never have enough!

Quick question, since EU is not a country. What happens if the organization dissolves. What could you do with a .EU? It could stand for "Eh You".

Seriously, I don't have the stomach anymore for "land rushes". I'm working on what I have, and trying to look for "untapped" markets that could have potential (.ws=web services).

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen... a few thoughts:

* If the name is good, there's room for it in every extension.

* I definitely agree with the web-services / web-site meaning of .ws. .Ws is evolving into a technical venue more and more everyday.

* 6 months to wait for a .eu is a life-time on the web. In a land-rush situation there are no guarentees of obtaining your name.

* My next venture will most certainly involve a .ws.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
Yeah it still stands for Western Samoa (duh!), but when you market it to mean something else, that little "ws" does have some helpful qualities to it especially if you are able to get names that would fit the "web services" model.

Actually, .ws stands for Samoa

Samoa was formerly known as Western Samoa

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Name-Maker

* My next venture will most certainly involve a .ws.

Me too...

Good luck!

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Speculation has already come and passed for the .ws extension. Did you just come out of a coma?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3

Speculation has already come and passed for the .ws extension. Did you just come out of a coma?

Ok. jh3, we'll forget you have no decorum whatsoever, but if you are thinking I'm assuming .ws was just speculated on, you are dead wrong. Names that were speculated on in 2000 weren't renewed this year. For whatever reason the "speculators" didn't see any point in "renewing" some decent "keyword" names.

btw: Tone it down... This isn't a "us" against" ".ws" thing.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Found an interesting bit of news on "Web Services"

European web services to top $7bn by 2007

By Robert Jaques [14-05-2003]
IDC report predicts huge growth in the enterprise corporate market

Web services will become the dominant distributed computing e-business architecture, according to research by IDC.

The analyst expects the total market for web services in western Europe - including hardware, software and services - to grow from $108m (£67m) in 2002 to $7.8bn (£4.84bn) in 2007.

IDC's study, Western Europe Web Services Market Analysis 2002-2007, predicts that web services is set to explode in the enterprise corporate market.

"Large European enterprises will represent the majority of the total web services opportunity as the need for machine-to-machine integration is greater where there are many systems," said Nathaniel Martinez, research manager with IDC's European Software Group.

"Adoption will come in two broad phases in line with the overall adoption of web services by IT as a whole: internal and external.

"For the foreseeable future, web services will focus on integration within the firewall, inside the enterprise. The second phase will be linking together applications between firms."

IDC explained that the emphasis will quickly shift from building new kinds of connectors, to adding value through related services.

Simply connecting systems using a web services approach is not the real revenue opportunity for services vendors, said the analyst.

Instead, issues of web services management - such as security, non-repudiation and new charging models - will be key.

M

mole

I really don't know, pod. When .ws first came out 4 years ago and I bought 3 or 4 of those Samoan domains, it was sold as World Site, then Web Site, now you say its Web Services, what will it be 2 years down the road for you, Won't Sell? :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
I really don't know, pod. When .ws first came out 4 years ago and I bought 3 or 4 of those Samoan domains, it was sold as World Site, then Web Site, now you say its Web Services, what will it be 2 years down the road for you, Won't Sell? :D

.ws can be anything you want it to mean within reason. This is the beauty of the domain, it's versatility. Wheras, the marketing of .TV is pretty much limited to television.

FYI: With regard to .ws meaning "Web Services", I came up with that one because it's potential and relevance. It could also mean "Work Shop", if that is what you needed the name for.

Example: You are hosting a work shop in Toronto next year. The bulk of the work shop has to do with retirement. Instead of having the URL address for this event as "www.yourcompanyname.com/retirment_workshop.htm" you could have simply purchased "www.retirement.ws" The .ws at the end "makes sense". In marketing it is referred to as "using all your angles".

But what if you are not into work shops, but "web services"...

Ah yes, the future of the internet points towards "Web services"... Maybe you want to dump your YellowBellyServices.com name for something that will catch your client's eyes. You want your client's to know you are in "web services" without really telling them in your URL address... We've all seen those company names... YellowBellyWebServices.com... Duh? Why not "indirectly" hit them with the "Web Services" in your URL address without making it too obvious... "www.yellow.ws" Yellow Web Servicesâ„¢

I think the point here is that we are all going to have to market our names one way or the other. If you have a generic.com, then your job becomes much easier, unless it's a longer .com and/or not a popular word/phrase. Any edge you can gain by the name you have will help your marketing plan. With .biz, it works with certain names, with .info it can be a plus, with .us it can help you market in the states, with .ws it's the (2) letters that can stand for a variety of "web" related functions... if you get a "relevant" short keyword all the better.

One thing I hope everyone isn't doing is wondering what the "next" guy is going to do. Blaze your own trail. Listen to what others say, but certainly don't buy into the notion that only a certain name, and a certain ending will guarantee success. Some of the best deals are those which "people" haven't seen yet. That's another way to make money in this business. Sift through other people's "trash" and find something you can turn into gold. The threshold to do so is very low, and the risks are even lower. Christ for a little less than $50 I've picked "clean" some very good "trash" I think.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about WilliamShakespeare.WS ?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by .com.net.org
How about WilliamShakespeare.WS ?

That would be a "redundant".... :laugh:

"Web Site" works for some:

http://www.statistic.ws/ (they really do market it this way--why not?)

WorkShop works for others:

http://forums.ws/

WebServices can be of help:

http://www.oakleaf.ws/

or if you are real creative, you could use ".ws" to mean the reverse of your name....in this case "SnitchWorks" is using "HarryPotter.ws" as a "keyword".... Looks like the TM police haven't gotten to this name yet

If you are into "Web Security" .ws might be a good "fit":

http://www.admins.ws/

;)

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wish my initial is one of the tld, then I can reg my name on that tld.

It's easy to remember address, better than .name. ;)

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its a very accomidating extension
so many uses for it

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sex.ws available for us 50,000, will probably go for that, or more, within two years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom