Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

"www" typos, your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey

What are your experiences with www typos, such as: "wwwgoogle.com" instead of "www.google.com" , and then registering the name "wwwgoogle.com"

Any noteworthy traffic from mid sized sites?

Thanks

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If companies value their trademark they'll spend a lot of money covering all such bases. Like they have done in your very example. On the other hand, it's a good idea in my opinion if you want some quick and cheap traffic until (and IF) the C&D letter comes...

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually have had both good and bad senarios with these. Ones which only get a trickle of hits every few days. Unless you are in a particular related market I would say registering these types of names are not really worth it . The percentage of typos does increase with the higher type-ins it receives. Names which promote the WWW in advertismenets are more prone to it.

wwwyourcompetitor.com

or

wwwthedomainiwishihadformybusiness.com

are always good investments

but not

wwwthedomainithinkmaygettypotraffficjustbecause.com

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're asking about if it's a good idea to typosquat? No, it's not a good idea. It's sleazy and makes the entire market look bad. Not to mention that if you are in the U.S. you can be fined pretty heavily, and doing it also makes you a target for UDRP action.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
You're asking about if it's a good idea to typosquat? No, it's not a good idea. It's sleazy and makes the entire market look bad. Not to mention that if you are in the U.S. you can be fined pretty heavily, and doing it also makes you a target for UDRP action.

what are you on about? I asked what kind of traffic these names recieve. Not up for preaching here, thanks anyways

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're asking about breaking the law here in the country these boards are based out of. And if it's not outlawed elsewhere, it's still immoral and gives all domain speculators a bad name. If you don't want preaching when you are asking about cybersquatting, don't ask for opinions about cybersquatting.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Typosquatting and cybersquatting gives all speculators a bad rap. Discussing it in these forums is bound to get opinions whether that was the specific question or not.

I'm sure there is some traffic from high profile typos, but is it really worth it to tarnish a good reputation and risk a lawsuit? Just a couple days ago I hit an unexpected site when I accidentally hit 4 w's instead of www. As an informed user, I would never do business with a site if landed on with a typo any more than I would from an email spammer.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
You're asking about breaking the law here in the country these boards are based out of. And if it's not outlawed elsewhere, it's still immoral and gives all domain speculators a bad name. If you don't want preaching when you are asking about cybersquatting, don't ask for opinions about cybersquatting.

wtf are you still on about this? Who said I would registed anything related to a TM? I'm not discussing anything illegal so quite down. In case you can't read, the google thing was an example

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
You're asking about breaking the law here in the country these boards are based out of.

And what country is that exactly?

Christmas Islands?

Give me a break man.

Alexander

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would think that "www" typo domains of larger sites will get a decent amount of hits. It all depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom