Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Xyz - The Numbers Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the wholesale price on .xyz? Really doesn't make sense that NetSol would take a loss like this, giving 60,000+ names away... There may be some other numbers that factor into this, I don't know, but at first glance sounds like a busted scheme....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who really cares about numbers besides domainers who "buy" them for $200k and ultimately sell them for $5k? I'm sure most of us are aware by now that these numbers are inflated and no end user or business rushed out to nab the name that they wanted in .com, but got a longer or undesirable domain instead and are in the progress of rebranding their business to .xyz.

Will the average end user registering a domain name be compelled to register a .xyz by seeing 70,000 have been registered? Or will they still try to go for the more well known .com/.net/.org at this time?

Even if .XYZ is to do a press release about how amazing it is, will it still hold up in the public's eye? Have people even recognized the .club launch with 50 Cent? Is a celebrity even enough to convince end users at this point that gTLD's are the wave of the future and can help their business growth or expansion?

50 Cent has 7.43M followers on Twitter and uses smarturl.it for a URL shortener, which happens to be the same length as 50inda.club. Was it not written in his contract to use 50inda.club/Short_URL when he endorsed .club? Not a smart move. Or perhaps he demanded a Range Rover, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bentley package in another color to go with his blue set, P.I.M.P.'ed out and a duffle bag filled with $1M in unmarked, non-sequential $100 bills in each trunk too? I mean damn, these rappers aren't dumb like they used to be; referring to rappers like MC Hammer, they are now intrepreneur's within their record labels they were signed until they're rich and famous enough to buy them out... or become an entrepreneur and sell a company for $3 billion.

I'm not 100% for nor against gTLD's, but I am speculating on a few. However, I'm carefully selecting keywords and appropriate strings for development purposes to rank for until the time comes when 1) the gTLD's are treated as equal and 2) end users want them because the .com may be out of their budget and they see them in search results.

I did register 1 .xyz because I see brand potential in the keyword I selected, similar to Amazon's A-Z. Keyword to the End, covering anything and everything about the topic. I'm not going to be on a .xyz registering frenzy and only saw potential in that 1 after developed, if I even decide to develop it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the wholesale price on .xyz? Really doesn't make sense that NetSol would take a loss like this, giving 60,000+ names away... There may be some other numbers that factor into this, I don't know, but at first glance sounds like a busted scheme....
I'm pretty sure they just have to pony up the 18 pennies in ICANN fees as they are the registry for .xyz, which comes out to be about $10k (probably less than they made from real registrations). I'm sure Verisign could do the same, give away free dot com's that is, at an expense of 18 cents each. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
David, all human registrations should be counted. But when a game of numbers is played and promoted, the "opt out" scheme is pure nonsense. I say, give free domains to every pet in America then, and count them up as beans.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, even though they were forced to take one for free, they are still human registrations.

If GoDaddy shoved 70,000 bargain bin/closeout .com's into your account with a year registration without you paying, would you complain and say the same? Or would you delete the ones you didn't want and have a lot to work with for 12 months? Would those be considered real human registrations in your opinion or would you say your portfolio was artificially inflated? o_O

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sure, the receiving accounts are owned by humans, or companies of humans. But these parties never initiated the registration (strike [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]) and never had to acknowledge it in order to be accepted (strike [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG]). The third strike, is that these numbers are now counted towards totals, and in direct 'competition' to other gTLDs' numbers.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Q: But is all publicity, good publicity?
A: If it is free publicity, it's good publicity.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As in my first sentence, we all know these are inflated numbers, so they aren't in direct competition with any other gTLD whatsoever until they start bragging to the public to equal real registrations that they gave out like candy to kids (meaning profit). No end user checks ntldstats to see these numbers. The only way they would get it is through mainstream media.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Gerry, the cost of this publicity is both financial (cost of promotion) and towards the reputation of the product. In the free market, you cannot make statements such as this: "More people bought Honda than any other brand in America" unless it's true.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gerry, the cost of this publicity is both financial (cost of promotion) and towards the reputation of the product. In the free market, you cannot make statements such as this: "More people bought Honda than any other brand in America" unless it's true.
Yes, that would be false advertising. They can however say, "More people own .xyz than any other gTLD available today" and get away with it. :rolleyes:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As Konstantinos of OnlineDomain said: why was this promotion made on the launch date, when everyone typically competes to get domains anyway? Why wasn't it made a week or a month later?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With an asterisk * that disclaims the NetSol domains in size 3 font at the bottom.
I'm sure they will consult a lawyer before laying any claims. :D

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The claims are already laid, and on video no less.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. But we are discussing this so much that I would like to know how many links have been established appearing in Google because of all these discussions.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The claims are already laid, and on video no less.
Never seen any, maybe because I entertain myself watching useful stuff... like cats on YouTube. :cool:
I agree. But we are discussing this so much that I would like to know how many links have been established appearing in Google because of all these discussions.
Did we even link to any XYZ domain or are you referring that this thread is going to rank for XYZ because of all the mentions? :confused:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that @JudisFather hasn't came to this thread to preach that XYZ is the new internet, post his avatar all over, promote the shit out of it and try to pass us a cup.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He said, he is still waiting on his first payment..... ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who really cares about numbers besides domainers

Will the average end user registering a domain name be compelled to register a .xyz by seeing 70,000 have been registered?
My friend, this is because:
1. the numbers have an intended psychological effect, and are part of a deception plan
2. precisely, the domainers are almost always the primary target of domain registries as early adopters of their products, even when the registries vehemently claim otherwise. Can't bite the hand that feeds ya !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom