Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Yahoo Enters Domains Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yahoo plans to announce today its entry into the domain registration market, adding to its small-business offerings.
Yahoo Domains will offer Web site registration for as little as $9.95 per year, hoping the low price lures small businesses from other registrars, such as Register.com and Network Solutions, which offer domain registration for $35 annually.

http://www.dmnews.com/cgi-bin/artprevbot.cgi?article_id=30143

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A dark time to be a domain reseller.
With Yahoo's obvious clout and exposure, this could mean the end to some small timers who are currently finding it hard just to keep above water in this competitive marketplace....troubling indeed, sigh. Back to my bog I go.

guiwang

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank for this news. Network Solutions have lost many domains.
I think yahoo will got a lot of money and many domain reseller will over their small business.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well it was going to happen sometime.
I'd expect google to do the same in the future.
And maybe keep an eye on Yahoo Stock closed at 28.25 today. ;)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yahoo Domains offers addresses with .com, .net and .biz suffixes.

.Biz ...perfect use for them...with Yahoo pushing .Biz watch the regitrations fly ..and the aftermarket prices..!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yahoo have always offered domain registration @ $35

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gariben said:
alot of people will choose Yahoo's $9.95 pricing "over" those enom/godaddy resellers' pricing at $8.95
Agree.

Sharpy said:
Yahoo have always offered domain registration @ $35
You meant "HAD", right? If my memory serves me correct, Yahoo has been selling domains for $14.95 or something like that for quite a while.

bidawinner said:
Yahoo Domains offers addresses with .com, .net and .biz suffixes.

.Biz ...perfect use for them...with Yahoo pushing .Biz watch the regitrations fly ..and the aftermarket prices..!
Heh, welcome back, Dan. ;)

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, Yahoo has been doing this for quite a while - I wouldn't expect this new price point to dramatically change anything. If anything, it will probably make things better, as they are more viable competition @ $9.95 and competition drives innovation.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
yeah, Yahoo has been doing this for quite a while - I wouldn't expect this new price point to dramatically change anything. If anything, it will probably make things better, as they are more viable competition @ $9.95 and competition drives innovation.

Unfortunately, for many a reseller innovation is many times shackled by the backend of their very storefront. Being a WWD reseller I can undersell them in price (2 dollar difference), but can never compete on an exposure level.
Perhaps better SEO? Would be valid if not for the fact that one of the very outlets I want my domain revenue generator to flourish on is now a competitor that will be number one in placement of any variative domain keyword I strive for (which I know is the case now, but with a more than thirty percent price drop for domain names, millions of yahoomail subcribers for adverts at their whim and an over 70% internet population reach. "The little fish in the very large pond is now swimming in a great lake"). Add Google (along with MSN) who might follow suit to compete (which I see happening as evidenced by their power struggle over free email services as of late) that "lake" could be the "ATLANTIC".
The 2 dollar/1 dollar spread which in many cases is a main feature for buying from an independant (and not very lucrative at that unless blessed with volume sales) could as well be threatened, by the who has the bigger johnson mentality if these boys all get involved.
I guess the positive yin could very well be higher reach for some of the newer crop of extensions to get a much needed boost......one has to be an optimist when one is green in complection..... a great little ice breaker as well when meeting chicks....

cwsteam.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder why NETSOL is still $35. maybe they prefer to sell 1 at 35 instead of 5 at 8.95. Different Business Model. Old customers still there who dont know and bothr about domain registration / renewal costs.
Plenty of customers out there. I trannsfer a few dozen every week away from NETSOL, Register.com etc !!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cwsteam.com said:
I wonder why NETSOL is still $35.

The reason NetSol remains high is that so many midsize to large corp automatically use NetSol, and really do not care about domain cost as it is so minor compared to their budget. They still have that market heavily locked-up and that is the market they cater to with their other business services too.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
The reason NetSol remains high is that so many midsize to large corp automatically use NetSol, and really do not care about domain cost as it is so minor compared to their budget. They still have that market heavily locked-up and that is the market they cater to with their other business services too.
Agree.

NSI is the winner in the domain market :-D

Martin23

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NSI has the most domains, so get the highest renewals fee.

They wont cut them when they ahve all them domains there

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, NetSol still has the biggest market share, however, they lost 75% of their clients in a few quarters when the market opened up. To be honest, if they had maintained a better customer service level and dropped their price a bit, say to less than $20, they would have kept way much more clients than what they do today, instead of allowing GoDaddy or eNom to grow AT ALL.

Jeffreyw

Football Club owner
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Company i'm working for always buys domains at either Netsol or Register.com

Is Yahoo an ICANN accredited registar or reselling for what mother registrar?

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tried to explain to a guy the other day that he could register domains at namecheap.com and other places for a lot cheaper than NSI yet he insisted on wasting a lot of money. Some people just never learn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom