Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Yahoo "Revenue Cap" Imposed on Some TLDs

• Thread starter Deleted member 70408
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, the decline of Yahoo in the parking place has been going on for quite sometime.

Starting to put restrictions on certain TLD's is pure bunk.

And the assertions as those being the "scammers and spammers" tld is also pure bunk.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its been "ok" for .com now for a LONG time, why we care about these extensions I have no idea.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I am not surprised.
How much natural (type-in) traffic do those extensions (.us/.co/.tv/.biz/.info) enjoy ?
Probably not much.
I would not be surprised if their next step is to ban these TLDs altogether.

Playing the devil's advocate, I'd like to hear how many are making more than a few $ per month on parking with these names.
Unless you have exceptional domains it's unlikely "Revenue cap" would affect you anyway.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly, the size of the name would be significant therefore it will not impact 99% of the industry :)

spacey

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are they going to cap all the new tlds if they arenot istantly successful .........surely some will end up parked

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new with Yahoo. I have been informed several times by a couple providers that Y has banned revenue for all .US domains based on them all being poor quailty for the last few years. In fact, from what I recall parked.com support dept told me about 3-years ago that all .US names parked there were banned by Yahoo from getting revenue.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could this change when tens of new tlds are released, Google will surely change its algorithm don't you think ?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Banned extensions?

Seriously, that is why bodis is looking better and better each day monitizing foreign traffic, all extensions, and even IDN's and (egad!) the lowly .mobi.

Y can play games all it wants. In the end, it is a lose, lose, lose proposition now and going forward. Perhaps Y wants to be an english only search engine.

And for all this talk about those other extensions being spam and scammer havens? give me a break. I would ask to see proof of that. On a percentage basis of the number per extension regged vs the number of that extension used as spam or scams. I hardly think that such data exists and is fabricated by those that feel threatened in losing traffic to their extension.

Yes, it is pure bullshit made up analysis. Why do I say that? Because this is about parking. It is not about anything else other than parking.

Lets see if Yahoo bans or limits the traffic per day on some of my sites that are not .com. It's not going to happen. It is simply not going to happen.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only raw data people should be concerned with (and take into consideration) is search engine market share.

Google is still in the mid 60 percentile (65%) while Yahoo and Bing each hover around 14% or 16%.

And domainers want to fight and compete for the limited dollars spent on yahoo? Are you kidding me?

When I see stuff like this it really calls into question the business savvy of many domainers.

A big clue to anyone parking with or advertising on Yahoo SHOULD HAVE BEEN when Yahoo abandoned their own publisher network.

That in itself should have spelled doom and gloom.

But, what do I know...

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Here's a glimpse from one site:

Global share:

Google 85.72%
Yahoo 6.42%
Baidu 3.67%
Bing 2.14%
Ask.com 0.56%
Other 0.49%

United States:

Google 84.58%
Yahoo 8.13%
Bing 5.38%
Ask.com 0.79%
Other 1.12%

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could this change when tens of new tlds are released, Google will surely change its algorithm don't you think ?
It does not have to do with SEO really.

Good points. It looks more and more like Yahoo wants to limit itself to N America only, but it's ironic why they don't like the .US extension in view of that?
Since parking companies (and the upstream feed providers) are adamant about type-in traffic it's unsurprising they weed out extensions that they feel do not bring the kind of traffic they are after.
At least .co might get some typo traffic (not much though). But .us/.tv/.info ?

It's okay to park .us or .tv domains at Sedo if you're looking to sell them, but if you are expecting a big flow of traffic and a nice monthly paycheck from PPC you might want to reconsider your business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom