Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Yahoo Security Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yahoo Security Breach Shocks Experts

Security experts were befuddled Thursday as to why a company as large as Yahoo would fail to cryptographically store the passwords in its database. Instead, they were left in plain text, which means a hacker could easily read them.

Wow! Epic. :wacko:

Tech screw up of 2012.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seriously???

Man this is what concerns me about putting personal, important data on the cloud.

But even more than that, we place our information and data to companies who may not take the necessary security precautions or be victim to hackers.

Scary stuff.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It gets more interesting. I just received an email because I am an author at AssociatedContent.com which was bought out by Yahoo in 2010 and renamed Yahoo! Contributor Network some time ago.

They are saying the breach happened there; accounts which contain W-9s, paypal emails and so on. The email says that they do not have access to our W-9s but judging by the email it looks like they could have seen paypal emails.

Lovely.

Happy Friday the 13th :( I already hurt myself today and last Friday the 13th too. LOL

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't take long for people to take advantage of it. I got a few emails this morning about a "security breach" and login / passwords posted online and that my password(s) has been reset. Most were legit (mainly Twitter and IMDB, I don't remember the others) but there was one where it was a phishing attempt.

Best bet is if you get these emails go to the site itself (not though the link in the email) and try to log in but then click "forgot password" (their suggestion in all the emails - some include links, though) and then reset it that way.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, make sure you don't reuse passwords.

On a side note, the reported incidents are the tip of the iceberg.
I have noticed spam to different E-mail addresses used on single sites, meaning that many sites have been breached but have yet to realize it.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, make sure you don't reuse passwords.

On a side note, the reported incidents are the tip of the iceberg.
I have noticed spam to different E-mail addresses used on single sites, meaning that many sites have been breached but have yet to realize it.

Or people use the same passwords on all sites and the people who got the passwords were just lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom