Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

You know I'm getting really tired of this turnkey website crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomor25

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been a free member here for a while and payed for a membership this morning to sell one of my websites that is established. I'm tired frankly of going into the established website forum and finding posts by people selling ebay turnkey websites that have no traffic and claim profits when it doesn't work at all. They either post a turnkey website or post a link to an ebay auction that has one. I thought this site was supposed to have a paid membership to weed out this stuff but yet when it does occur nothing is done about it.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And your post was an excellent one. It certainly reflects the kind of site that the catagory was created for. I think the membership here can weed out the sites you speak of and find the good ones, as evidenced by the fact you have a pending sale so quickly. That's assuming the sale came from this site of course.

As for your issue, I suggest you PM the admin or a super mod with your concerns. I can tell you that we are looking at this problem.

thomor25

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow I like it here, I had another site I sold that was a free forums hosting site it went for 1200 but at that time I didn't know if it was worth getting a membership here but now I do. I should ask the guy where he saw it as it was through email.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for becoming Platinum. Developed Websites includes turnkey sites, but they must mention this fact. If you see that they are not doing this, you can report the post.

Thanks!

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thomor25
I'm tired frankly of going into the established website forum and finding posts by people selling ebay turnkey websites that have no traffic and claim profits when it doesn't work at all.

I was going to start a new thread, but this sums it up.

I've been here for about a month now, and I'm finding that I used to post about 12-20 (relevant) posts per day. Now, I'm down to about 1 every 3-4 days. Why?

Because the scams have blown up here. I'm interested in traffic domains and developed websites, but I keep wasting my time researching these domains for sale --only to discover that 9 out of 10 are complete lies ...complete scams.

The popular opinion here is "buyer beware" but I just do not have the time to research every domain when so many are just plain lies.

I think the mods/admins should remove posts and ban/block/warn users that post these kinds of blatant, obvious scams.

Just my 2cents ...trying to make things honest and keep the forum valuable to me.

p.s. I don't care to hear "seller" opinions on how great it is b/c sellers are the ones getting over. I -so far- have refused to lie or cheat to make money; but with everyone else doing it, I'm starting to think I should ...and that's not right! I should not be forced to consider that or think that way...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by puravida
I think the mods/admins should remove posts and ban/block/warn users that post these kinds of blatant, obvious scams.
Thanks for your suggestion, but this is also exactly what we have been doing all along: removing posts and threads that we found fraudulent, and warning or even banning members involved; all for the sake of making DNForum a better place to buy and sell domain names and related products and services. Very often, we have actually started investigation even before any of members notices anything. However, the reality is that there will always be new scammers coming in (or at least TRYING to come in; and they won't be using "scammers" as their middle names). That's exactly why the "buyers beware" alert shall always be on in the first place.

Having said that, we are exploring different options of enhancing our members' browsing experience.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
Having said that, we are exploring different options of
enhancing our members' browsing experience.

Thanks for your reply, Nameslave...

Well, I only bring it up b/c over the past week, I've researched about 8 domains for sale here b/c they all met my criteria for traffic, etc.

However, they ALL ended up being worthless domains. Either the seller is using a totally unrelated domain to boost the traffic numbers or they are paying for these "100,000 hits in 12 days" campaigns to boost the numbers.

All-in-all, a name with 2 links and an alexa ranking of 200,000 is suspicious at best. It's just a waste of time to have to look in to it even this much. There are still open posts right now that fit that exact criteria.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is important to differentiate between a "scam" and an "alternative sale".
Remember this thread started off as a complaint against turnkey websites - websites based on templates with a domain name and perhaps with some hosting.
Now if you truly want a well developed website, maybe having years of established revenue, obviously these are not for you. However there are many people out there who do not have the time or ability to design themselves a working website and for these people such "ready-made" websites are ideal (as evidenced by the number that are sold).
Quite simply there is a need for these in the market place and they have the right to be sold here, provided that the sales thread clearly states that they are templates, so that there is no confusion.
Now of course, if you come across "traffic" sites offered for sale and you see that there is clearly a case of inflated numbers/fraudulent advertising etc, then that is a different matter. On the bottom right of every post there is a link to report that post to the Mod team and give your reasons for reporting it. In doing so you will be helping the whole community.
We all deplore scams and fraud, however it is important to remember that just because something is offered that we do not want, that does not automatically make it a scam!

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
it is important to remember that just because something is offered that we do not want, that does not automatically make it a scam!

I agree and maybe I should have gone ahead and opened a new thread because I was hinging my input based on the part about people claiming traffic that either 1. didn't exist or 2. wasn't legitimate traffic.

I understand what a turnkey website is and that's fine. But, if it's promoted as a full-fledged, revenue-generating business or that it gets so much traffic that it's guaranteed to make money... well, that's not cool. :eek:k:

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would like to see some protection when buying traffic names.. like if people state the name has so much traffic & then you get it & it's nowhere near that then they should give a refund and/or get some kind of warning on their account.

I bought a traffic name once for $250 & got ripped for it finding the traffic was less then 20% of what was stated. The person refused to give a refund.

Now I am hesitant when buying traffic names because of this, unless I am buying from a trusted & respected member here as I am confident that they would give a refund if I asked for one.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Originally posted by puravida

I agree and maybe I should have gone ahead and opened a new thread because I was hinging my input based on the part about people claiming traffic that either 1. didn't exist or 2. wasn't legitimate traffic.

I understand what a turnkey website is and that's fine. But, if it's promoted as a full-fledged, revenue-generating business or that it gets so much traffic that it's guaranteed to make money... well, that's not cool. :eek:k:

You make some excellent points puravida - the best way around it I have found is to ask about reputation before you buy from someone new or buy from people you already trust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom