Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Your preliminary take on kids.us plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okay I know it is very early to say much about kids.us success or flop.

I would be intersted to read about the take of those of you who are more experienced than me assessing landrush situations by looking at available names a few days after openning.

My potential share of the pie constitutes of a single top tier .kids.us, but the principle as a whole must make it for my catch to amount to anything.

So far, it appears only Smothsonian.kids.us has added content (how appropriate!) and I wonder whether the fee is the prohibiting factor in others proceeding as well (would they lower this fee perhaps?!) or is the revewiing process stalled, or?

Anyway, any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Duke?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm all for the folks who are developing kids.us. I don't personally plan to be active in the space however as the risk/reward ratio doesn't look attractive enough to me (buy 1 kids.us domain or 70 regular unrestricted .US domains for the same amount of money?).

That doesn't mean it won't pan out for the people who take the plunge. Those who get in there and do the development work will help the entire .us extension so I will be cheering for them every step of the way.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.kid.us as a TLD is good for one thing: Kids

As far as profiting from the TLD, I would say it depends on your approach. I don't see these turning into big ecommerce sites. My feeling is that there could be profit in having a site sponsored by a major corporation. You have to be really particular as to the name you do acquire though. It should represent a particular interest to kids, educational, or represent a growth oriented industry.

One last thing... .kids.us will be around for awhile. Things have gotten out out hand as far as children being exploited on the net. Heck I'm even exploited everytime I open my email account up.

Also after these RIAA lawsuits parents are definitely going to "fix" the computer so children "can't" download copyrighted material anymore. Just ask that poor grandfather who is getting sued by RIAA just because his computer was used to download music....

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The more I look at kids.us the more it looks like 1994 all over again. Kids.us will be big real big. But for now it will not amount to much.

The idea here is to create new Internet for US kids. And guess what.

1) There is hardly any content.

2) It is very easy to get into the prime search directory.

3) People wonder what to do with prime names. Many of which are still available for registration.

Kind of turning the clock back 10 years or so on the Internet.

This one will start slow and build.

As for valuation of a kids.us. If the domain is relevant for kids take the value of the corresponding .com back in 1994.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE
The more I look at kids.us the more it looks like 1994 all over again.

shhhh! :-D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE
If the domain is relevant for kids take the value of the corresponding .com back in 1994.

Bingo!!! Only there is one big difference, .kids.us has restrictions which does make it "different" then it's corresponding .com.

HOWEVER.... I think the "kids space" will have .com qualities in the sense the "generics" will do better than the rest of the domains. Kid.us is on it's own, much like .com was back in 1994. There isn't any other choice in the "Kids" space right now. Kids.us is it!

Keep in mind. All of this is pure speculation. As a developer, I am operating on the assumption my two purchases Fly.kids.us, and Flying.kids.us will do well because of the content, and the potential sponsorships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom