Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Yugoslavia.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Top notch country domain: went for $1,550 on Pool.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Top notch country domain
... except that Yogoslavia no longer exists and most of its remaining republics (incl. e.g. Serbia) sliding into Third World status, at least in terms of economy.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think that the .net has nothing to do with the relatively low price it went for. On the subject of "existance", Yugoslavia has great value in historic & cultural terms, as 6.5 million Google instances and 16,000 Overture searches can confirm.

I hope it went to a Serb at least.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
The Third World is a policitcal status, not an economic one, you do not 'slide into' it.
LOL! No comment.

By the way, are you sure you know more about the three worlds theory than I do? :D

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
LOL! No comment.

By the way, are you sure you know more about the three worlds theory than I do? :D

After saying no comment, it sure seems like you made a comment to me!!!

In any case, I said nothing about knowing or not knowing more about the three world theory then you did. I did state, and can back up, that it has nothing to do with economic living conditions. I personally hate politics, and this is not the thread for it, but if you want to try and show me how much you know we can find a better forum and I promise to read the thread and maybe even comment.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Really? Are you saying the com would go for the same price as net :rolleyes:

No. But I don't go for the mentality that .net domains cannot match the range of a .com for specific markets, either.

Yugoslavia.net was a very active domain and I would have paid twice as much to have it.

On the subject of "third world" economy, thank Bill Clinton for blasting the crap out of Yugoslavia in 1999.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
I personally hate politics ...
Forget it then! LOL! Sorry for the "comment" if it annoys you, but I feel kind of "weird" like when people start talking about .CN as if they know more about China than I do. ;) Again, sorry to be off-topic.

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Forget it then! LOL! Sorry for the "comment" if it annoys you, but I feel kind of "weird" like when people start talking about .CN as if they know more about China than I do. ;) Again, sorry to be off-topic.

I never talked about .CN or China at all.

You keep seeming to read things I never wrote !

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ONLY thing that made this domain go for only $1500 is that yugoslavia isn't a country.

Had it been italy.net or denmark.net the price would probably have been high $xx,xxx

owning a european country in .net is HUGE.

The fact that the country is poor or belongs to the "third world" may have a tiny impact, but not too much.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
I never talked about .CN or China at all.
I said "like".

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
offtopic alert:

On the subject of "third world" economy, thank Bill Clinton for blasting the crap out of Yugoslavia in 1999.

A Milosevic fan. How novel.

A thriving economy consists of more than selling ammunition to snipers surrounding Sarajevo.

http://www.yugoparts.com/

dax

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
... except that Yogoslavia no longer exists and most of its remaining republics (incl. e.g. Serbia) sliding into Third World status, at least in terms of economy.

Yugoslavia no longer exists - thats true.
But, i need to clarify something about the second part of your statement:

- Slovenia (former YU republic) is already part of European union (since of May this year) and
- Croatia (also former YU republic; which is where i am from) will be part of EU in next 3 years (it already has formal candidate status for entering EU).
To be a part of EU you must have economy, legal and social institutions and other regulations completely adapted by EU standards.

- B&H, Serbia & Montenegro and Macedonia are not sliding into 3rd world status, but they are getting slower in developing (economically and politically) compared to Slovenia and Croatia and other european countries. Although, that is far from calling them 3rd world countries.

3rd world countries dont have democratic institutions and their economy is in depression. B&H, Serbia & Montenegro and Macedonia have democratic institutions now (Serbia specially after Milosevic was transferred to Den Hag), maybe not "so" democratic as they can be, and their economy is not in depression, it just has very small growth rate... However, i hear many FDIs are coming into this countries -> i think i have heard Coca Cola Beverages Inc. just bought some juice factory in Serbia...

Maybe your impression is that they are sliding into 3rd world, but i see different -> they are coming back to the 1st world ( :-D ). It needs some work (and time) to be done (f.e. european estimation is that this 3 countries will be ready for entering EU around 2020).

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dax said:
Yugoslavia no longer exists - thats true.
But, i need to clarify something about the second part of your statement ...
Thanks for rendering us some insider's perspective. THAT's the kind of INFORMED critique (at least about former Yugoslav republics) we need. ;)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bombing a fellow Christian nation

Unlike, say, Italy, Germany, Austria, or Panama?

The Kosovo intervention was undertaken to stop a genocidal policy which was (eventually) condemned by Patriach Pavle of the Serbian Orthodox Church, once he decided to stop drinking the historical Kool-Aid.

A country that supports people like Milosevic, Karadic, and Mladic doesn't fit well with any meaningful definition of "Christian".

dax

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks nameslave :-D

It would be a shame for me not to say something when discussing my part of the world ;-)

Anyway, just to add this:
There are still some Yugoslavia nostalgic people (mostly Serbs), and for them this domain name (yugoslavia.net) could be worth something (for developing some historical website maybe). Otherwise, this domain doesn't have any value at all.

Yugoslavia after 1990 (fall of communism and splitting onto 5 countries) only existed as a name for Serbia-Montenegro union, but this was just on paper. However, even today ccTLD .yu exists but as i have heard, even this will be replaced by .cs soon...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Unlike, say, Italy, Germany, Austria, or Panama?

The Kosovo intervention was undertaken to stop a genocidal policy which was (eventually) condemned by Patriach Pavle of the Serbian Orthodox Church, once he decided to stop drinking the historical Kool-Aid.

A country that supports people like Milosevic, Karadic, and Mladic doesn't fit well with any meaningful definition of "Christian".

Americans have no clue whatsoever about the Balkans - or the middle East for that matter - in terms of culture and politics. Milosevic might be held captive in Hague - but that's where Bush should eventually go as well.

The bombing of Yugoslavia was 100% wrong and unjustified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom