Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

news Updates to Reaction Icons to keep DNForum a Safe and Positive Community

Good morning all,

Some of you (especially moderators and admins) may know noticed that some members have deleted their posts and even accounts after receiving negative feedback. While we can't control what people say to each other, we can make some changes to the forum that will hopefully encourage a more positive and supportive environment.

It did impact new users the most whom we should support and guide as they enter our industry.

In order to keep dnforum.com a safe and friendly community, we’ve made the following changes:
* Removed all negative reaction icons (dislike and sad)
* Upgraded the reaction icons to include: Like, Agree, Winner, Informative, Haha, and Wow

Screenshot:
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 10.57.53.png

We believe these changes will help to create a more welcoming atmosphere for everyone on dnforum.com. We encourage you to use the new reactions to show your appreciation for other members' posts and comments.

How do you like these?

Helmuts

Domain Summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
haha is problematic on Facebook for certain protected groups, and that can spill over here with people laughing at something that isn't a great post to poke at the user instead of used as intended such as laughing at something that is a joke.

wow could also be abused for pointing out "stupidity".

I would continue to monitor the use of these two reactions going forward, looking at the context of usage, if the goal is to foster a positive atmosphere.

I don't think there will be a problem here as it is a professional community, but it should be on the back burner to get something in place to disable giving reactions from certain members, at least for a period of time, like a ban of sorts if there is clear abuse of these two.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not bad sir. Do you have a newbie guide here to link to for your new members? Maybe make it so that as they sign up they get to read it, and make it prominent across the website too.
I recommend using the notice system to display a link to the user guide at the top of the forum to new members for 7~ days after signup. This would require a user group promotion after 7 days so that the notice would disappear after that timeframe.

Or, you could make it dismissable, but that could give new users the ability to X it out and never see it. The likelihood of them visiting the guide with a notice that doesn't go away for a determined period is much more likely to be viewed.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wrote several newbie guides from the other forum. I can do the same thing here.
If you need any assistance, feel free to reach out to me and we could do a collaborative Docs/(private) thread to get it done quicker.

Happy belated 20th DNF birthday (April 13, 2004)!

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
Not bad sir. Do you have a newbie guide here to link to for your new members? Maybe make it so that as they sign up they get to read it, and make it prominent across the website too.

Hi Joseph, this is a very, very good idea!! Thank you. I have put it on our list. After the cleanup > the next step is: sorting and updating the Rules.

Have a great Sunday! Helmuts

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score

It looks like it is coming soon. @Johnn already has a super-solid guide ready to be published here.

Thank you for the suggestion!! H

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Great job, if you have something to say about a post say it and it's contained in that post.

Likes are an achievement but can easily be abused by members going around giving dislikes when heated debate starts.

Keeping it positive to Likes and similar is a good step forward, friendly and welcoming to all. 👍

PS. I had the agree in mind for DN.ca and am still considering that but technically its not much different from like.

Last thing though.... Who really understands reaction score? I run a forum and I don't follow it. We simply count likes as one point, it's easy for everyone including newbies to follow.

Last edited:

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
Great job, if you have something to say about a post say it and it's contained in that post.

Likes are an achievement but can easily be abused by members going around giving dislikes when heated debate starts.

Keeping it positive to Likes and similar is a good step forward, friendly and welcoming to all. 👍

PS. I had the agree in mind for DN.ca and am still considering that but technically its not much different from like.

Last thing though.... Who really understands reaction score? I run a forum and don't follow it. We simply count likes as one point, it's easy for everyone including newbies to follow.

Thank you Frank!! And, also, well - you might know this, your imput in talking about this subject also did directly impact the decission :) Best wishes!

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It looks like it is coming soon. @Johnn already has a super-solid guide ready to be published here.

Thank you for the suggestion!! H
Thanks I saw that on the drop down list. It is always good to get training for any new venture like this.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom