Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

#1 rule in selling domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You would think this one would be quite obvious but apparently it's not. I've been contacting quite a few domain owners lately on behalf of a client and run into alot of stumbling blocks.

An example, This particular name has "This domain is for sale" in the whois. I email the contact in whois and it bouces back, the domain resolves to a parking page with no contact info and when I called the phone number I was referred to "the person who handles my names" email which was never responded to. Needless to say this guy isn't getting a sale from me. While on the phone he stated "I have lots of domains in that category you might be interested in." To put the icing on the cake on this one. He says you can view the names on my site. His site was the email I first responded to, the domain resolved to a parking page and he wasn't even aware of that. It's still this way and has been over a week. Makes me wonder how many other people he's losing business from.

This is just one example. So I think the #1 rule in the domain selling business is

1. Make sure people can contact you!

Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very nice article :) I guess it isn't as obvious to some who want to sell something, but make it impossible to reach them.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have found this to be true with a lot of domains suposedly for sale. I know things happen-moving, divorce, death. ect. But it is very frustrating when you see something you want and can't get ahold of the only person you can to get it.

DNPlan

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And the one I love is "Asking $400" click here (which is an email address) and so you send an inquiry and the reply you get back is $1,888 <grin> ...

Greg

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
#1. rule

have a domain someone wants to buy!

doesn't help to be "available", if no one wants your domains.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always use my legit whois info. I think those with whois guard run risks.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I use the whois guard I don'y like getting spammed

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domain owner should at least have a valid email in the whois. there are few times when i wanted to contacta domain for sale owner... no way to contact too !!!

M

mole

No #1 rule in selling domains? Keep it cheap and affordable, or forever keep it.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
No #1 rule in selling domains? Keep it cheap and affordable, or forever keep it.

Good point but if it you make it impossible for someone to get ahold of you then price doesn't matter. The above seller mentioned might very well be in my buyers price range but we will never know.. Too many fishies in the sea..

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yea. I have contacted an owner on more than one occassions to purchase a domain, and only to have an email undelivered message. Well, it only costs them a sale....

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I intended it that way. Call it the country boy in me i guess. :)

TheNetCode

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNPlan said:
And the one I love is "Asking $400" click here (which is an email address) and so you send an inquiry and the reply you get back is $1,888 <grin> ...

Greg

LOL I have seen this before. I like the please make an offer one that says any offer over xx and you post an offer and they reply sorry we are only accepting offers over xxxx now that is the old bait and switch method.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
-= SUPPLEMENTAL RULE =-

For mediocre sized sales, be sure to include the contact info on the page directly.. (ie: This Name is For Sale: Contact Me). Most people just type in the name to see if it is available. Most non-internet experts either don't know how or don't go to the extent of looking up whois info. Any big buyers will end up getting ahold of you either way, but by putting up a simple for sale page, quote inquiry, or similar message somewhere on your parking pages will definitely help small-medium sales.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
-= SUPPLEMENTAL RULE =-

For mediocre sized sales, be sure to include the contact info on the page directly.. (ie: This Name is For Sale: Contact Me). Most people just type in the name to see if it is available. Most non-internet experts either don't know how or don't go to the extent of looking up whois info. Any big buyers will end up getting ahold of you either way, but by putting up a simple for sale page, quote inquiry, or similar message somewhere on your parking pages will definitely help small-medium sales.

Very good point. I thought about adding it a few times. My mom who is a computer programmer analyst and has been since the early 80's doesn't even know what a whois is. A few months ago she called me to register a name for an idea she had on a one word .com which had been taken since the mid 90's but because it didn't resolve she thought it was available to be registered.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
You would think this one would be quite obvious but apparently it's not. I've been contacting quite a few domain owners lately on behalf of a client and run into alot of stumbling blocks.

An example, This particular name has "This domain is for sale" in the whois. I email the contact in whois and it bouces back, the domain resolves to a parking page with no contact info and when I called the phone number I was referred to "the person who handles my names" email which was never responded to. Needless to say this guy isn't getting a sale from me. While on the phone he stated "I have lots of domains in that category you might be interested in." To put the icing on the cake on this one. He says you can view the names on my site. His site was the email I first responded to, the domain resolved to a parking page and he wasn't even aware of that. It's still this way and has been over a week. Makes me wonder how many other people he's losing business from.

This is just one example. So I think the #1 rule in the domain selling business is

1. Make sure people can contact you!

Hey - STOP POSTING THIS! I do a lot more business because other sellers are so anti-customer. Make an offer on my site and the data gets SMS'd to my cellphone. I often call people within a couple of minutes and close a deal in the middle of a mountain bike ride.

M

mole

JuniperPark said:
I often call people within a couple of minutes and close a deal in the middle of a mountain bike ride.

Impressive, park! What if you were in the middle of sex? :-O

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Impressive, park! What if you were in the middle of sex? :-O

Simple.

Offer over $5K: Stop and take care of business
Offer under $5k: It can wait.

My phone has a separate ringtone for text messages. I need one that can do a different ringtone based on content (offer amount).

TheNetCode

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Hey - STOP POSTING THIS! I do a lot more business because other sellers are so anti-customer. Make an offer on my site and the data gets SMS'd to my cellphone. I often call people within a couple of minutes and close a deal in the middle of a mountain bike ride.

This may be true, but I believe the point here is to help members. Allthough I agree it almost surely helps you with your sales some it cannot change the fact that if you do not have the site they want they are not going to buy from you just because they can get you easy. The domain or site they want has to be available and the contact information correct. If someone really wants to buy a certain domain they are not going to search until they find yours and buy it just because you are easy to get in contact with.

So the point is that if you want to sell your domains or websites make sure your information is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom