Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

3,089 404's in 3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How can I control this? Or convert it to visits?

Brady

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it is a developed site, you can create custom 404 pages where they are presented with or redirected to whatever page you want.

I do it through my control panel at Pair Networks, so don't know how to on other hosts, but contact support or maybe someone here can answer more thoroughly :)

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick post brady, but its @ Parked.com.

-Zh

D

Deleted member 5660

I think it is already counted. It redirects to the main parking page. They just keep a tally of vistits that go to a page not found instead of just the domain. Usually it is a backlink from a domain that used to have a web site.

Brady

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Parked.com redirects 404s to the main parking page.

Check out ACLSurgery.org and then go to ACLSurgery.org/545dgdtgjw and they should both go to the same place :)

Is something different happening for your domains?

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess not, it's going to the main parking page when i type in/some/deep/dir

I guess I just hate seeing it have a thousand 404's with literally x visitors a day.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess I just hate seeing it have a thousand 404's with literally x visitors a day.

That is a very good issue to discuss.

In the past I have seen evidence that both parking firms and Google/Yahoo do *not* count 404 traffic as being valid traffic (but I seem to recall Donny at parked.com once saying they count the 404 clicks if I understood that correctly).

It would be interesting to discover that maybe one of them does indeed count 404 traffic as valid. (IMO, most 404's should be considered good traffic because a high percentage is usually valid but going to a bad sub-page url).

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ZeRohiLL - What we do differently than some parking companies is that we show when there is a 404, but we don't count that as a visitor as it's truely a 404. If the surfer does anything, then we also add them as a visitor.

So 404 traffic is good if it does something. But if people are hitting broken images or other stuff that they won't see then we consider it to be worthless.

Donny

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Donny.

I actually ended up pointing the NS to my hosting and tried the frame redirect, but the results where IMO terrible.

It didn't justify the 404's that I was getting with Parked.com, in other words, I put on a 404 redirect in .htaccess, but all the 404's I was getting when NS where at parked.com didn't show up as visitors.

So, pointing Nameservers to Parked.com I get about 1,000 404's a day with x visitors.

Pointing my Nameservers to Host with .htaccess 404 redirect I get 0 404's and still only x visitors.

Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks

-Zh

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zh - It's your .cc domain. But make sure in your DNS to put a *.domain.cc. Because it seems to be virtual.

Donny

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zh - It's your .cc domain. But make sure in your DNS to put a *.domain.cc. Because it seems to be virtual.

Donny

Thanks Again Donny.

I had gotten a hold of my account rep and he told me where the traffic was coming from.

But what do you mean by virtual?

Thanks

-Zh

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The traffic is going to "two.domain.cc"

Donny

Thats what the rep said.

I'm trying to redirect that (since it's giving me the 404's) to the top domain.

Thanks Again

-Zh

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom