Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

53rd.mobi: stands for Fifth Third, one of America's largest banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I might be wrong but aren't pure numbers non-TM'able?
The reason Intel switched to the Pentium brand name was because they could not trademark 386, 486 and 586 - all of which were used by rival AMD.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong but aren't pure numbers non-TM'able?

Correct.

But it doesn't take much to get away from a "pure" number.

e.g. 7-Up, 7-11

And it is precisely why Intel went to "Pentium".

There was a recent UDRP decision on 5-3.com which was won by Fifth Third, and that decision was, IMHO, wrong.

But that's a different story from someone intentionally registering 53rd.mobi because it might be confused with the bank.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks John, that makes sense.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Calm down :D. "53rd" is supposed to mean 53rd district. Don't worry.

Cooldomain (and not cybersquatter :D)

That is a VERY interesting comment to make.... Let us look at your SALES THREAD...

53rd.mobi

The official website for this bank is 53.com, so the .mobi version would be 53.mobi, but as we know, .mobi doesn't accept two-symbol or two-digit names. Thus I registered 53rd.mobi (since 5-3.mobi was already occupied and it contains a hyphen, which makes it hardly marketable).

It seems to me you are looking to obtain monetary gain from a TM which you have no rights. You even go so far as to reference the TM holder site in your sales thread. You acknowledge the TM and the bank, you reference how you were not able to register the digit version, you state you registered the next closest to the TM. This is concidered bad faith = cybersquatter.... :yes:

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That is a VERY interesting comment to make.... Let us look at your SALES THREAD...

Which thread?

It seems to me you are looking to obtain monetary gain from a TM which you have no rights. You even go so far as to reference the TM holder site in your sales thread. You acknowledge the TM and the bank, you reference how you were not able to register the digit version, you state you registered the next closest to the TM. This is concidered bad faith = cybersquatter.... :yes:

What do you mean under bad faith? I am just pointing out that this name is kinda similar, but not equal to the 53.com domain.

And I am not a cybersquatter. :D

But that's a different story from someone intentionally registering 53rd.mobi because it might be confused with the bank.

I did not register it "intentionally".

cshel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The whole thread DOES sound like it was intentionally registered to capitalize on the confusing similarity between "fifty third dot mobi" and "fifth third dot mobi".

So unless you develop a site for the 53rd congressional district or whatever BS reason you're claiming was your real reason for regging the name, you're gonna lose the name when Fifth Third slaps you with a UDRP.

D

Deleted member 70408

The whole thread DOES sound like it was intentionally registered to capitalize on the confusing similarity between "fifty third dot mobi" and "fifth third dot mobi".

So unless you develop a site for the 53rd congressional district or whatever BS reason you're claiming was your real reason for regging the name, you're gonna lose the name when Fifth Third slaps you with a UDRP.

And if they do any research before filing the UDRP, they will see the headline of your thread, "53rd.mobi: stands for Fifth Third, one of America's largest banks."

The most likely outcome is them not even caring about this name because I highly doubt anyone will type this into their mobile device.

cshel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The most likely outcome is them not even caring about this name because I highly doubt anyone will type this into their mobile device.

I think they might care.

It's my understanding that mobile devices will automatically append .mobi to URLs entered w/o an extension -- just like regular browsers append .com automatically if you forget to type in the extension. So I can see where there might be users who try 53rd w/o ext.

At any rate, there doesn't actually seem to be a legal question here :)

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
And if they do any research before filing the UDRP, they will see the headline of your thread, "53rd.mobi: stands for Fifth Third, one of America's largest banks.

Yes, it stands for, due to a coincidence.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which thread?

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=196978&highlight=53rd.mobi)

Did you forget you started a sales thread in the auction section?

What do you mean under bad faith? I am just pointing out that this name is kinda similar, but not equal to the 53.com domain.

In other words... CONFUSINGLY SIMILAR... cybersquatting 101

And I am not a cybersquatter. :D

In your mind or in the real world?

I did not register it "intentionally"

Directly from your sales thread....
However later I found that the official website for Fifth Third bank is 53.com, so 53rd.mobi might stand for this bank. .Mobi registry just doesn't accept two-symbol or two-digit names (like 53.mobi), so I would not be able to register 53.mobi.

not intentionally?!?!? Yours fingers slipped and type in the TMed domain and inadvertantly put in your CC info and somehow hit the submit button....

At this point, you are not looking to good right now... You obviously don't know about TMs and domains and we have tried to help you, but you refuse to learn and open your eyes.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=196978&highlight=53rd.mobi)

Did you forget you started a sales thread in the auction section?

In other words... CONFUSINGLY SIMILAR... cybersquatting 101

In your mind or in the real world?

Directly from your sales thread....

not intentionally?!?!? Yours fingers slipped and type in the TMed domain and inadvertantly put in your CC info and somehow hit the submit button....

At this point, you are not looking to good right now... You obviously don't know about TMs and domains and we have tried to help you, but you refuse to learn and open your eyes.

What is your compassion about me? And why don't you blame other members for selling TM domains or domains similar to that?

D

Deleted member 70408

I think we should put this thread to rest. We know the poster's intent, and any more discussion will just give this weak name more publicity.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is your compassion about me? And why don't you blame other members for selling TM domains or domains similar to that?

I am just calling your BS, that's all. You brought it on yourself. This is legal section and you started a thread asking for opinions, we gave them (and correctly I may add) and you tried to BS us.... it is pretty hard to do. There are new domainers all the time and hopefully they read this and realize what is right/wrong to justify their own risk/reward.

We are more than willing to help domainers, especially new ones (though I do recite the "please use the search box" statement a lot, but quite honestly, that is the best advice any newbie will ever get). But when someone tries to be slick, they will be called on it so anyone reading the post trying to learn will hopefully understand what is right and wrong.

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think we should put this thread to rest. We know the poster's intent, and any more discussion will just give this weak name more publicity.

You do know more than God :D.

Whatever BS you have in mind here ("sounds"... "intentionally".... BS etc), you need to realize it is just no good to use offensive words in the forum.

And you didn't like 27th, or 86th, or 32nd.... why?

This is another flavor of BS that I find irritating....

Was it your own BS :D?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe there are no TM issues with this domain, since 53rd, as it is spelt, means just "fifty third" and not "fifth third'. Need your opinion!

Okay, you asked for opinions.

Nobody agrees with you.

Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom