Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

-------

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doesnt mean they will sell it for that much

MasterOfMyDomain

Co-Founder & CEO of Book Like A Boss
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't have an idiotic sale, but I do have a stupid name I registered and embarrased myself. Back in 1999 I registered the domain name mirimax.com. I was building a relationship with them selling promotional items. I thought I was so cool getting this name for them until they reminded me that they spell their name Miramax. I was almost a somebody! %+|

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not a bad misspell though.
Searches done in February 2005
Count Search Term
43 mirimax.com

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvestors said:
I'm starting this thread because I just screwed myself out of about $3k...I just sold a domain on ebay for $50...Anyway, the buyer was a big UK marketing firm that just listed the name on their site for $5,000.

i don;t follow this. how exactly did u screw yourself outta 3k here?

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvestors said:
he said they would have paid more

yes, but maybe they would have paid $150-$250, it doesn't mean they would have paid 3.5k. nobody would pay 3.5k and then turn around and post asking price of 5k.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvestors said:
why not, it's profit?

what profit r u talking about? they didn't sell.

i'm just saying it's too much risk for most. not too many people buy high to sell even higher. i'm not saying it's not impossible because it is, but usually only when the domain in question is very undervalued, yet extremly obvious in its potential.

something tells me that domain u could not sell for more than mere $50 on a truly global marketplace of ebay scale, doesn't belong in that category.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What was the domain?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont think cancelling an auction because you aren't happy with the selling price is very fair or honest...

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It hasnt been cancelled. It's ended,paid for, and transfer has been initiated.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've went through eBay rules to see if there's anyway I could back out of the sale b/c of the error in the minimum bid. (you're allowed to cancel if this happens). eBay wrote me back and said if buyer complies it does not break any rules..So, I'm currently trying to get it back..I don't think I will, but it's worth a shot.

Then can you explain what this means and why you changed your story an hour after you posted it?

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
Then can you explain what this means and why you changed your story an hour after you posted it?

No story has been changed.

It's been paid/transfer initiated since yesterday. I'm negotiating with them right now.

The company has been real cool about the whole thing.

I should here back from them tomorrow..its late hours in the UK right now.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sold a 3-letter .com for $350 three years ago. It was a $200 profit but nowadays they sell for $1k minimum.

DNbulk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, there were a couple misspeller I bought on accident but one thing stood out of all:

I regged back in 2002 the domain: car-fax.net and damed was I proud as I knew about the big carfax company for auto dealers and believed....'what a reg' ;-)

A year later, I somehow decided to have the domain developped as an affiliate for 'CarFax' service as they offer a very lucrative affiliate programm.

Now guees what, my partner who I asked to build the site, in the process she needed a carfax affiliate number to create the site readily. So quickly she went to carfax.com and signed up as an affiliate. They ask for your website and you guess right, she submitted 'www.car-fax.net' because that's what it was for. A couple of days later she wondered why she still did not get a confirmation from carfax about her sign up, but:
I received a letter from the CarFax attorney just 72 hours later.......lol.

What I learned:
not everything that shines is Gold.

just my2 cnets

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was a very poor error!
I am surprized they actually check each affiliate! nowdays its all automatic, they only check when making payments.

Did you hand over the domain? you didnt have to! as long as it wasn't developed ;)

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could have been a filter that flagged it..

And with eBay you are required to sell it at your ending price if you don't put a reserve. However, if you FORGET to put a reserve, you can cancel all bids and end the item, and relist. People will get mad at you though, and if it happens more than once or twice and people complain, eBay could suspend your account.

Always good to just put a reserve on just in case! It prevents things like this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom