Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

a GLOBAT horror story

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For those enjoy Horror stories, here’s one for you. I have basically lost a domain by dealing with Globat. In June of 2007 I received a ‘bonus’ domain with ‘privacy’ for extending my GLOBAT hosting plan to 2010. (really stupid). I have since closed my hosting account, walking away from 2 yrs. prepaid hosting due to misrepresentation and their ceaseless and sleazy ‘automatic upgrades’ - but that’s another story. I have spent 53 days (and counting) trying to get my authorization code to transfer my domain (although ICANN policy requires a registrar to respond in 5 days). To complicate matters my domain was put under privacy and it looks like Globat has acted as a reseller and the domain is actually at ENOM! I have also contacted ENOM with no response – probably because it’s a ’reseller’ issue. Below is step by step documentation of this horror story. Globat has ceased responding and I suppose my only other option is the courts. I understand that ICANN is basically useless in resolving this type of issue and the registry business seems to be like the ‘wild west’ with no real regulation or enforcement. I wonder if it possible to file an ‘intervention’ at Globat’s next license application? Any legal ideas would be appreciated.

ATTEMPTS TO GET TRANSFER AUTHORIZATION CODE FROM GLOBAT:
Jan. 29 - 1st email to [email protected]
- requesting authorization code for transfer of domain.
Jan. 30 - email from ‘Buisan’ of ‘support’
- asking for confirmation of my name, credit card and account data.
Jan. 30 - 2nd email to ‘Buisan’ of ‘support’
- supplying all requested data.
NO RESPONSE FROM GLOBAT (6 days).
Feb. 6 - 3rd email to support
- resending requested data.
NO RESPONSE FROM GLOBAT (11 days)
Feb. 17 - 1st phone call to ‘Sherry’ at ‘customer support’
- who informs me “they have not received my data”.
Feb. 17 - 4th email to ‘support’ copied to: Ben Neuman (Pres), Billing, and Customer Service.
- resending of my data
NO RESPONSE FROM GLOBAT (7 days).
Feb. 24 - 2nd phone call to ‘John’ at ‘customer service’
- John who “acknowledges receipt of my data” and issues new ‘help ticket’.
Feb. 25 - Email from ‘Michelle’ at ‘billing’
- informing me she sent authorization code to registrant’s email address.
CODE NOT RECEIVED.
Feb. 25 – 5th Email to ‘Michelle’ at ‘billing’
- informing her: 1. had rec’d her email informing me she sent code. 2. advising I had not received code. 3. requesting she resend and copy to my second registered email address: [email protected]
NO RESPONSE FROM GLOBAT (8 days).
Mar. 4 – 3rd phone call to ‘Sherry’ at ‘customer service’
- informed her of non-receipt of code, she confirmed they have my correct email address and I requested resend to both my registered email addresses.
Mar. 6 – email from ‘Michelle’ at ‘billing’
- advising that she had resent code to primary address (no mention of sending to backup email address).
CODE NOT RECEIVED
Mar. 6 - 6th email to ‘Michelle’ at ‘billing’ copied to: Ben Neuman (Pres), Jackie Otero (Billing Mgr), Tom Cox (Customer Service Mgr).
- informing that: 1. I had received her notice of resend. 2. I had not received the code. 3. they failed to copy to my secondary email. 4. advising they must have code sending malfunction. 5. requesting resend to my primary and secondary emails.
NO RESPONSE FROM GLOBAT (5 days)
CODE NOT RECEIVED

Mar. 11 – 7th email to ‘Michelle’ at ‘billing’ copied to: Ben Neuman (Pres), Jackie Otero (Billing Mgr), Tom Cox (Customer Service Mgr).
- documenting all foregoing and requesting help.
Mar.14 – reply from Jackie Otero at “billing”
- saying they have sent authorization code “to registrant” for a 3rd time. :upset:
CODE NOT RECEIVED
Mar. 14 - 8th email to Jackie Otero, copy to ENOM legal dept.
- informing I have still not received code and to please check their registrant address.
NO RESPONSE FROM GLOBAT OR ENOM (10 days).

NOTE:
- I do not have any email receipt issues from any other source.
- I do not use a spam filter.
- I have thoroughly rechecked my email files and ‘trash’ folders – just in case.
- I am an experienced web user and have 100 domains at 7 other registrars, without any issues.
- Both my primary and secondary email addresses are registered in my Globat account profile.
- WHOIS lists ENOM as the registrar with PRIVACY ON on behalf of Globat (cannot switch Privacy off).

I know many will suggest I call the ‘king’ John Berryhill or Ari Goldberger. And I guess I might have to in the end, but I don’t have much money. I suppose if I could recover legal costs and get punitive damages it might be worth suing. The domain name is not valuable, but I like it and would like to develop it someday. However, it’s a principle thing, I feel I shouldn’t have to walk away from it due to registrar incompetence. Thanx for listening. - Zen

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't have any advice but I feel for you!

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know how the old saying goes:

"Never let hosts register your domain names and never let registrars be the host for your domain names."

D

Deleted member 5660

Try contacting [email protected]

If that does not work try www.internic.net complaint form.

This is why I use Tucows. I contact their compliance department and they usually clear things up like this within an hour. There is actually a complaint procedure but the new registrar you are transferring to files the complaint (first informally). You need a registrar willing to do this.

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

"Never let hosts register your domain names and never let registrars be the host for your domain names."

I hadn't heard that one before - but its right on!

And thanx BLazed! :smilewinkgrin:

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I learned this lesson back in 99 and it took me 2 years to finally get my contact info on my own domain.

I hadn't heard that one before - but its right on!

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the name Keyword Factory, I have sent an appeal for help to Deborah, and yes, I will eventually send a well-documented complaint to internic.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Yes, I'll third that, got screwed by host as well. I only had one or two domains with them, but my company's name was registered with them. Didn't let me transfer the name out, expected 3 times going rate for renewal. Fortunately after the domain had expired, I was able to renew through host, at a reasonable price, then transfer. They claimed I couldn't transfer les than 60 days before expiration. Never heard of that one.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can transfer within 60 days of expirations... not according to icann rules anyhow. The only problem is when it gets too close to expiration, its better to renew since the transfer can take a week or two at times.

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we've been there and beating one's head against the wall is about the same feeling. good luck and you will get this resolved with persistence.

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanx Guys;
An update is ENOM has reponded and is trying to help. They are talking to Globat. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Will let you know if I recover it!

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hope it will be recovered , previously I had some domains in Globat , but let them to expire , but friends of mine still have some valuable names in that registrar. Keep us updated .

Wish you luck

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Late Breaking News!
the folks at ENOM have been very helpful. It turns out that Globat never registered my 'bonus' domain for me at all - they registered it to themselves! Further, they hid this by providing a PRIVACY feature I could not turn off! Their confirmation that I was the registrant was BS.
Their emails telling me they had sent me the code were BS -they were just sending it to themselves.

Also, it appears that the FREE name I 'registered' on a second hosting plan is also lost as they are not responding to my emails and its also at ENOM.
THE GLOBAT HORROR CONTINUES....

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In 2004 when I first really got into the web I hosted at Globat.
They charged me for the next year half way through the first year, and then even though I asked not to renew the hosting they charged me again at the end of the year.

The only way I got out of it was because luckily that credit card expired so they physically COULDNT charge me.

They are a bunch of *****, and deserve to die. I hate globat !! Aggghhh

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: DOMAINS RECOVERED!
Thanx to all for support and suggestions.
A three page 'Final' email copied to just about everybody, documenting the whole horror show (75 days, 9 emails, 3 phonecalls) - finally elicted a phone call from the Customer Service Manager who apologised and resolved the matter in a couple of minutes!

The moral is just don't walk away from what is rightfully yours - be respectful but don't let the matter die and copy all previous communications in every new communication. The file gets so fat somebody HAS to do something eventually!

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
thats excellent news and the fact that you were persistent makes it even that much better!

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is cool , ppl should do just like you , i had a bit of similar situation on iPower a few days ago first they said ask your future registrar to contact us but then i threatened the guy on online chat with the ICANN rules and he put me on hold and after a few mins he sent me the codes on how to manage the domains and the auth codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom