Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

A good domain - WTF is that??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMarkel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am getting my feet wet in domaining so far I am in up to my knees. I have been picking up a domain here and there and hand reging some as well.

I am to the point where I think I know what a good domain is then I see something or something happens that gives me another reality check.

So I have to ask.

WTF is a good domain. In the most general sense.

What do you seasoned domainers look for when buying or reging a domain?

I am keeping an eye on what is selling at Sedo and all over using DNsaleprice.com. I see a x#x.net domain sell for $500 and wonder what is so good about that.

Is it because it is: (or, what order would you put these)

a) short
b) old
c) high traffic
d) brandable
e) 1, 2, 3 words etc

Similar to SEO there must be some type of standard in domaining for factors that weigh higher then others.

Anyone got some insight on this?

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a good domain is a name that matches well with the keywords in it!
or a domain that is short and sounds brandable!

Domains that match what small businesses can use! TorontoDentistry_com for example or DentistryToronto_com such names are good names!

Your not going to get your hand on a generic .com unless you got $25,000+ to invest.

Just because a domain is old does not give it value! and traffic is not hard to get!!!!!!!!! Premium Traffic is the hardest to get from an expired domain name!!!! their very rare.... traffic outside of USA, CaNADA, UK is worthless!

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A good domain name is something I can use as business, not for park or resale purpose only.

kenz84

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just because a domain is old does not give it value! and traffic is not hard to get!!!!!!!!! Premium Traffic is the hardest to get from an expired domain name!!!! their very rare.... traffic outside of USA, CaNADA, UK is worthless!

Traffic outside USA, Canada & UK is worthless? Since when? I think Asia and Europe would beg to differ. You realise those 3 countries combined make up about 6% of the world's population.

DomainSearch

Level 4
Reaction score
Short two word meaningful, generic domains are available if you look. They will have a decent value to any business that does not want their competitors to get it.

Listing the domain for sale on Sedo or Afternic ect will mainly market your domains to resellers, not bad, but like everyone you probably want more $$. You need to find end users yourself to earn more on a domain flip.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am getting my feet wet in domaining so far I am in up to my knees. I have been picking up a domain here and there and hand reging some as well.

I am to the point where I think I know what a good domain is then I see something or something happens that gives me another reality check.

So I have to ask.

WTF is a good domain. In the most general sense.

What do you seasoned domainers look for when buying or reging a domain?

I am keeping an eye on what is selling at Sedo and all over using DNsaleprice.com. I see a x#x.net domain sell for $500 and wonder what is so good about that.

Is it because it is: (or, what order would you put these)

a) short
b) old
c) high traffic
d) brandable
e) 1, 2, 3 words etc

Similar to SEO there must be some type of standard in domaining for factors that weigh higher then others.

Anyone got some insight on this?

a good domain is one that you are happy with

the purpose for acquiring the domain should be discussed first...

if you're buying/regging to build a website...

then any domain that you are happy with is a good domain.

it doesn't matter what others think, after the fact, as long as you are content with your purchase.

if you're buying a domain to resell later...

then a good domain is one that others may desire and/or one that gets traffic and earns revenue, until it's sold.

imo...

alanj878

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain is good as who ever owns it I say if you cant write 6 or more good things to write about a domain you should register it and also I look at if noone would buy it and I had to develop the domain is it a subject area or something I can turn into a site. Also ignore people too I had some of the best people appraise my domains worthless or reg fee and sold domains 100x their appraisal which is like crazy.Every domain has audience just besure to target it. Also brush on marketing sales without those skills it will be hard to sale almost all domains except super premiums. Dont be to cheap , buy value and always ask yourself what is the most you would pay if you would pay more than what the person or place is selling for it is a bargain

slsch

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A domain that no one owns yet... Dot com. No dashes. No double consonants or vowels (i.e. seaashhash.com). Nothing that starts with a or the. 15 characters or less. To the point. Direct. Don't focus on what has sold – those domains are gone forever... What will sell? Who knows – real businesses do not buy domains the way hardcore "domainers" do.

alanj878

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A domain that no one owns yet... Dot com. No dashes. No double consonants or vowels (i.e. seaashhash.com). Nothing that starts with a or the. 15 characters or less. To the point. Direct. Don't focus on what has sold – those domains are gone forever... What will sell? Who knows – real businesses do not buy domains the way hardcore "domainers" do.
I believe gut sometimes you can be wrong but playing it safe are a revelation for short gains I can show you eveyone of the rules can be broke. Realestate.net .com is a develop site .Sheet.com sheet.net has double vowels. 15 charcter rule DebtConsolidationloans.net .org or .com all would sale in x,xxx or better and also WholeLifeInsurancePolicies.com(Usually from what I have experience developers buy longtails which Dnforum would be great place to sale these and if you get longtail make sure it is high cpc or finance base) Lol .Like every rule in domaining can have their exceptions . Just look at the word and say does that make sense and mostly by getting experience dont be afraid to get dirty . and everything else you said slsch was dead on .read buy and sale (dont be afraid to take a loss on a sale it is sometimes better than letting the domain expire).

H

H2FC

A good and valuable domain is one that can make money for its owner and/or one that can attract the masses with good keywords.

liveyourdreams

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
based on my observations, age or traffic doesn't really matter unless it's extremely significant.

instead, the most important aspects in general which makes a good domain/hot domain which command a high value is one that is usually iether:

1) short (like 3 letters or 4 letters of which these letters are highly likely premium letters which can form great & popular acronyms for generic words (for example "sos = save our souls") or acronyms for a large number of business/organisation names or hot products.

2) consisting of popular generic or name keyword(s) with great commercial value (for example games.com, cheapgames.com, xboxgames.com).

there's definitely other important factors as well which makes a good/great/hot domain but yeah, the 2 above in general are usually at the top of the list =)

Domainator

DotAgent
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggies on target here!

BTW, WTF.com would be an example of a good domain, I guess so would BTW.com :lol::lol:

liveyourdreams

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Biggies on target here!

BTW, WTF.com would be an example of a good domain, I guess so would BTW.com :lol::lol:

and not forgetting, FTW.com :lol:

seems like there are so many nice possibilities with T & W haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom