Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

A Message from the new CEO/President of ICANN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.icann.org/en/ceo/ceo-message-21jul09-en.htm

QUOTE: "First, let me say that I am thrilled to be on board as ICANN’s CEO and President. The moment I joined this exciting organization I found it working on an incredible range of activities involving an array of constituencies.

Without doubt, ICANN is the most complex organization I have ever come across, necessarily, at least in part, because we must navigate through a sea of stakeholder groups, some of which have been formalized in our bylaws, and all of which have an interest in global Internet names, addressing and parameters. To ensure each address is unique, ICANN must take on the difficult role of bringing about clarity among these same stakeholders. In the end, every single name must be unique and only one party can own it.

This is no small task, with nearly 200 million unique names registered and for many of these names there are many different parties who would like to own or control them. What I find impressive is that, despite the many competing pressures in this environment, ICANN has been able to fulfill its core functions in the 11 years since its inception, and has emerged as a strong, stakeholder driven group.

My vision as we move forward is to support a globally unified Internet on which addressing remains unique to ensure interoperability. In this Internet world, a merchant in Bali can effortlessly send an email to a businesswoman in Tokyo. Anyone anywhere will be able to interact with anyone else anywhere else in the world, so long as they both can access the Internet. ICANN is already taking steps toward enhancing this functionality".

this is just the opening paragraph, more in link to article....

Domain Summit 2024

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of spin... as one would expect.

Still can't see the little guy ever getting a better deal. I believe it will only get worse.
The issue of ownership or right to use a domain name is going to turn nasty.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many of us would feel much more comfortable if he had referenced the information superhighway every time he spoke of the Internet...who says Internet anymore?...wow..at the very least say Interwebs...how out of touch can you be...

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite impressive credentials. To say the least, I'm impressed. Good luck Rod Beckstrom.

Last edited:

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite impressive credentials. To say the least, I'm impressed. Good luck Rod Beckstrom.

I will be impressed when he has differentiated himself from his predecessor by getting off his arse and actually doing something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators