Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

A New Way To Invest in Domains

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
I'm an advocate of proposing a new way to invest in domains. It's called a seller buyback. Or, a seller leaseback with option to buyback. Or, seller lease to own back. This is when the seller of the domain leases, or agrees to buy it back on terms that will yield the Buyer/New Domain Owner a handsome return on their investment. We back our offerings with real estate. The domains make sense. The numbers make sense. Think about it. Looking for a way to beat inflation? This is a way.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

once the name is sold, i'm not looking to buy it back later.
now, if they drop it some years later, then i might backorder it and try to catch and resell again.

imo....

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
Hi

once the name is sold, i'm not looking to buy it back later.
now, if they drop it some years later, then i might backorder it and try to catch and resell again.

imo....
What about from an investment standpoint as a buyer? Would you buy a domain that a business is leasing for 20% roi?

Reaction score
I'm an advocate of proposing a new way to invest in domains. It's called a seller buyback. Or, a seller leaseback with option to buyback. Or, seller lease to own back.
It's simply LEASE-TO-OWN, and buyer get to own the domain, payable in INSTALLMENTS.
This is when the seller of the domain leases, or agrees to buy it back on terms that will yield the Buyer/New Domain Owner a handsome return on their investment.
"seller agrees to buy it back" --> If I own CANDY.COM, and lease the domain to a candy maker for X years, and he sells his candy using the .COM, I might be entitled to get X% as royalty. But, who will take the pain to lease a domain, and build SEO links on a domain, they might have to eventually surrender? Why would I let someone dictate price for a dot-COM, when I can own any gTLD?
We back our offerings with real estate. The domains make sense. The numbers make sense. Think about it. Looking for a way to beat inflation? This is a way.
And, who is we? [-;

Reaction score
What you say may hold good if you owned CANDY.COM, and its related trademarks, a matching phone number like 1800-CANDY-COM. There are many people who are selling vanity tags, phone numbers, and fancy number plates. Good luck finding such a package deal for a client with fat pockets, who wants to waste zero-time doing branding.

If you to find one such candy maker, the said party will be FRANCHISEE, provided he agrees on non-exclusivity, which means you can use CANDY.COM for number of sellers and get a cut on sales, which is non-practical.

Explain me who will take the pain to lease a domain, and build SEO links on a domain, very knowing that they might have to eventually surrender the domain to somone who did nothing but regg' it in 1992? Is it his fate to have been born in 2000s, and not get CANDY.COM? If I was the candy maker, why would I let someone dictate price for a dot-COM, when I can own any gTLD and build my own marketplace?

If you even leasing the domain, you don't get much RoI. The candy maker may continue paying $x/year, because he has a long-lease. And, technically, if he makes $1bn profit or $800/mo loss, you will continue to get ONLY $x/year. May be, if you are to sell this its called FINDER-FEE ; ) The candy maker will want the domain at any cost, because he has spent a fortune in marketing the domain and not YOU.

Reaction score
I speak neither for seller, or buyer. But, if you really have a compelling idea, please build a startup, and send the link. Test it with atleast 3-4 users, who might pay you for a long lease. Eventually, your time would be reduced to owning a domain, which is non-practical for 2022. I won't be satarical and ask you to start collecting NFTs, but this is a speculative world and, your beliefs will shape your reality. Wishing you good luck on your endeavor.

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
It's simply LEASE-TO-OWN, and buyer get to own the domain, payable in INSTALLMENTS.

"seller agrees to buy it back" --> If I own CANDY.COM, and lease the domain to a candy maker for X years, and he sells his candy using the .COM, I might be entitled to get X% as royalty. But, who will take the pain to lease a domain, and build SEO links on a domain, they might have to eventually surrender? Why would I let someone dictate price for a dot-COM, when I can own any gTLD?

And, who is we? [-;
We as domain sellers. If you had a choice, would you rather buy a domain with no income? Or, buy a domain with a scheduled income from the seller? I invest in real estate and domain names, and if domains are to be regarded as digital real estate, might as well treat as such.
It works like this...and yes it is a lease to own, but the difference in what I'm suggesting is that you sell your domain for $100k, and it's backed by $100k real estate you own. But it works like this, seller sells domain for $100k and leases (lease to own/buys back) from the new owner. Now there is scheduled income to the new owner. Owner of domain gets $2k a month, for example (20% return), and the seller who is now lease to owning it back reinvests the funds from the sell back into the domain, the business, the location (real estate), etc. adding more value to the domain.
It's a creative solution to vacant properties for sure.

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
I'm an advocate of proposing a new way to invest in domains. It's called a seller buyback. Or, a seller leaseback with option to buyback. Or, seller lease to own back. This is when the seller of the domain leases, or agrees to buy it back on terms that will yield the Buyer/New Domain Owner a handsome return on their investment. We back our offerings with real estate. The domains make sense. The numbers make sense. Think about it. Looking for a way to beat inflation? This is a way.
Here's an example: I own vacant commercial property. I brand the property with YouTeaCoffee.com, whereas the domain will now be the tenant of the property. I sell the domain for $125,000. I then agree to buy it back for $150,000 with payments over 5 years. Funds from the sell go to improving domain brand website, business, and property.

Would a domain investor rather spend $100k + on a domain name with no income, or a domain with a scheduled income that is backed by real estate?

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
Here's an example: I own vacant commercial property. I brand the property with YouTeaCoffee.com, whereas the domain will now be the tenant of the property. I sell the domain for $125,000. I then agree to buy it back for $150,000 with payments over 5 years. Funds from the sell go to improving domain brand website, business, and property.

Would a domain investor rather spend $100k + on a domain name with no income, or a domain with a scheduled income that is backed by real estate?
If domain investors, real estate investors, and even crypto investors could come to terms with this concept, it would lead to being able to participate in real estate per square foot. I think it beats the alternatives.

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
If domain investors, real estate investors, and even crypto investors could come to terms with this concept, it would lead to being able to participate in real estate per square foot. I think it beats the alternatives.
I forgot to include business investors...but really, it's an all hands scenario that involves real estate owners, business owners, and all investors.

Reaction score
There are many ways to invest in domains, including buying and selling domains for a profit, developing domains into websites, and leasing or renting domains to businesses. However, one relatively new way to invest in domains is through domain name investing platforms.
Domain name investing platforms allow investors to purchase shares of premium domain names, similar to how they would purchase shares of a stock or mutual fund. These platforms typically acquire premium domain names and offer investors the opportunity to invest in them through crowdfunding or other investment models.
Investing in domains through these platforms offers several benefits, including:
Diversification
Access to Premium Domains
Professional Management
Potential for Higher Returns
Some popular domain name investing platforms include:
DomainMarket.com
DomainInvesting.com
DomainCapital.com
DNGeek.com
NameInvestors.com
Investing in domain names through these platforms can be a good option for investors who are interested in alternative investments and are willing to take on some risk. However, it's important to do your research and choose a reputable platform with a proven track record of success.

redspider1

Level 1
Reaction score
Investing in domains can be an interesting venture, and while traditional methods of domain investing involve buying and selling domain names, there are some emerging trends and strategies to consider:
  1. Keyword Trends and Industry Niches:
    • Instead of randomly buying domains, research current keyword trends and emerging industry niches. This can help you identify domains that align with popular or growing topics.
  2. Brandable Domains:
    • Look for domain names that are brandable and have the potential to be used by businesses. Short, memorable, and easy-to-spell domains often have higher resale value.
  3. Geo-Specific Domains:
    • Invest in domains related to specific geographic locations. This can be valuable for businesses targeting local markets.
  4. New Domain Extensions (gTLDs):
    • Explore new domain extensions beyond the traditional .com, .net, and .org. This includes extensions like .tech, .app, and .ai. Some businesses prefer these newer extensions for branding purposes.
  5. Blockchain and Crypto Domains:
    • With the rise of blockchain and cryptocurrencies, consider investing in domains related to these technologies. This includes domains with keywords like "blockchain," "crypto," or specific coin names.
  6. Premium Domains:
    • Premium domains, often short and memorable, can be more expensive but may have higher resale potential. Look for domains with generic keywords or common phrases.
  7. Developing Domains into Websites:
    • Instead of solely focusing on buying and selling, consider developing some of your domains into websites. This can add value and potentially generate income through advertising or other monetization methods.
  8. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Technology Domains:
    • Invest in domains related to emerging technologies, such as AI, machine learning, or virtual reality. Businesses in these fields may be willing to pay a premium for relevant domains.
  9. Subscription-Based Models:
    • Explore subscription-based models for domain investing. Some platforms offer subscription services where investors pay a monthly fee in exchange for access to premium domain lists or other resources.
  10. Domain Crowdfunding:
    • Some platforms allow individuals to invest in domains collectively through crowdfunding. This can provide access to premium domains that might be expensive for an individual investor.
  11. Monitor Industry Trends:
    • Stay informed about industry trends, especially in technology, business, and marketing. Understanding emerging trends can guide your domain investment decisions.
  12. Legal Considerations:
    • Be aware of trademark issues and legal considerations when investing in domains. Avoid domains that infringe on existing trademarks to prevent legal complications.
Remember, domain investing, like any investment, comes with risks. It's crucial to do thorough research, stay informed about industry trends, and be strategic in your choices. Additionally, consider consulting with domain experts or attending domain-related conferences to expand your knowledge in this field.

Website Development Company | Web Designer in Dubai

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators