Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

A Profound Post from the Platinum Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Name-Maker made a profound post in the private Platinum Members forum. It illustrates a very important point. This is his post:

Originally posted by Name-Maker
My final days of domain trading have become a bit of a proving ground for both DNF and DS.

I've placed the same 5 "Domain for Sale" ads on both DNF and DS. 6 hours later the results are:

DNF: 10 Sales (yeah!)
DS: 0 Sales

You be the judge, but it appears to me that DNF is a far more effective platform for domain sales. I guess the Hatfields win ;).

The proofs in the pudding folks.

Kudos to Gregr and staff!!!

What this amounts to is you don't build a snow ski shop in the middle of the Mohave desert and expect to sell any snow skis. Unless of course you have a website. :) Anyone that sells domain names, that can't decide whether to upgrade to Platinum for $49.95/year and reads that post and still can't decide, is nuts. Talk to Topnames. Ask him about his brief departure and what happened when he returned. I can tell you. He sold a shit load of domain names. Ask him if $49.95/year is a fair price.

If you don't sell domain names disregard all of this. Don't upgrade to Platinum. You'd be wasting your money.

If you only buy names get a Gold membership. It's $14.95/year. You won't find a better place to buy. Especially while the Live auctions are in their infancy.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been told the same thing by many members who use both forums. No sales over there but big sales here.

That says a lot. Get your DNF membership TODAY! :D

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The thing about their forum is people dont like to talk much. They have a lot of members but no one is communicating. Its like sitting in a room and banging your head against the wall cause there is nothing better to do

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not really trying to dispute your point, but I have sold several names at DS, that I had advertised here several times and did not get any offers. I sold a domain in their chat room just two days ago.

DNF is an excellent place to buy and sell domain names, and I won't dispute that.
It all depends on the name, place and time, that you advertise
the domain IMO.

It is good that "Name-Maker" was able to make a sale in the end!

:cool:

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
I'm not really trying to dispute your point...
:rolleyes:

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey biggedon,

You and I go back a ways and you know I'm a fair and honest guy so it's not hype when I say I sold over five figures in names in the last 3 weeks.

I happen to visit both forums and I get along with both ownerships...but if I have to sell a domain, I sell it on DNF.

The funny thing is that I have better luck selling >$100 domains on DNF than I do selling <$100 domain...go figure. :)

best regards,
Ken

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All members here should take note of what members like Topnames and Namepopper are doing. They are constantly working this forum. It's a lot of work but the payoff can be substantial.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
All members here should take note of what members like Topnames and Namepopper are doing. They are constantly working this forum. It's a lot of work but the payoff can be substantial.

I agree 100%. When I have time to be really active here, I can pull in as much as 2-3K a week

M

mole

Originally posted by winfreecash
When I have time to be really active here, I can pull in as much as 2-3K a week

:eek: I don't earn that much in a month! Sh*t

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Took me 3 years of 18-20 hour days to get to this point!!

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by byalik
The thing about their forum is people dont like to talk much. They have a lot of members but no one is communicating. Its like sitting in a room and banging your head against the wall cause there is nothing better to do

Hey! This is the first time anyone ever accused me of not being a windbag! :eek: :laugh:

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My final days of domain trading have become a bit of a proving ground for both DNF and DS.

It will be interesting to see whether things change due to changes since this thread -- including the creation of an open-access, multi-day auction (including, for example, 3-letter .COM). For my two cents, I think that there are roles for both a good, limited-access, real-time auction (that screens out non-serious buyers) and for a good, open-access, multi-day auction. They may ultimately serve different markets -- different mix of resellers and end-users. Time will tell. The markets are still evolving.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase

It will be interesting to see whether things change due to changes since this thread -- including the creation of an open-access, multi-day auction (including, for example, 3-letter .COM). For my two cents, I think that there are roles for both a good, limited-access, real-time auction (that screens out non-serious buyers) and for a good, open-access, multi-day auction. They may ultimately serve different markets -- different mix of resellers and end-users. Time will tell. The markets are still evolving.

Domebase your buddies should rename their site copycat.cn.

When will they stop with the "me too"?

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Domebase your buddies should rename their site copycat.cn.

When will they stop with the "me too"?

I do not think that either DNF or DS was the first domain auction or forum. Before... there were sites like Great Domains and Afternic. I think that DNF has had a number of firsts -- including a real-time domain auction -- and is currently doing pretty well with the paid membership approach. Seems to me that some of the similarities shared by DNF and DS are similar to past sites (although perhaps done better... with good moderation, for example) and that some of the major innovations are precisely areas in which they differ. Just my two cents.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I like DS's auction system better, its open 24/7

Mike

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need to be a buyer though.

how is it known who is a potential buyer?

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "you need to be a buyer"

I just went and tried to place a bid but wasnt allowed.

Thanks,

Mike

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
I like DS's auction system better, its open 24/7

Mike

How does a system like that "weed" out fraudulent bids/auctions? This type of "auction system" has been tried so many times before I've lost count. Let me tell you how it will go. Initially there is activity, and then after about a month or so, people "lose" interest in that type of a "static" auction activity. Like Domebase said, I guess their system is serving a different audience. How true!

I like the "live" auctions myself. Live auctions are more "Auction-like" in that they provide immediate attention to your products and more importantly to YOUR business. So it's like your getting a 2-for-1. Also if others "see" you at the auction you get the benefit of them being directed towards your "domains-for-sale" page.

What DNF has done is revolutionized the way "domainers" think about selling their products. I wonder if in time we could, not only auction off domains, but services as well.

So there you have it... Static vs Live .... You make the call!!

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, eBay and many other Auction sites seem to be doing well with their static auctions. The owner of DS has done a great job weeding out the scum so far.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom