Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

A question about premium domains.

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
To simplify, does ICANN not own all .com domains (like McDonalds owns all their locations)? Then, like a master franchisor (Registrars) , lease any domain names to domainers (you and I). Now, do the registrars pay for some of the domains (Premium) to hold and then lease, or are they held by ICANN, available to all registrars to lease out. I have never made the mistake of thinking I own any domain. Like an apartment, I rent it, or lease for a maximum of 10 years and then renew.

Good approach, still, probably we need to clarify that ICANN Doesn't Own Domains: ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is more like a regulatory body overseeing the domain name system. They don't own the domains themselves. Yes, they get paid from every domain name that is registered.

Registries Manage TLDs: Specific registries manage Top-Level Domains (TLDs) like .com (Verisign).

Registrars Lease (register) Domains: Similar to your franchisor analogy, registrars are accredited companies that lease domain names to individuals and businesses (domainers like you and I). They act as the primary channel for domain registration.

Some Registries Lease Directly: While registrars are the most common way to register domains, some TLD registries also offer domain leasing directly to users. This approach is less common, but it's an option for certain TLDs.

Premium Domains: Registrars usually don't hold premium domains themselves. These domains are often owned by the registry or private companies and leased to registrars at a higher price. Registrars then offer them to customers at a premium cost.

Domain Registration, Not Lease: While the term "lease" is sometimes used, domain registration is more accurate.

You register a domain for a specific period (typically 1-10 years) and renew it to maintain ownership.
Here's the updated breakdown of the players:

ICANN: Sets policies and oversees the domain name system.

Registries: Manage specific TLDs like .com (Verisign). Some registries may also offer direct domain leasing to users.

Registrars: Accredited companies that sell domain registrations to users (e.g., GoDaddy, Namecheap). This is the most common method.

Have to admit that this is still a very simplistic breakdown, though should help.

The analogy to renting an apartment is very close :)

Best! Helmuts

vrwrys

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"These domains are often owned by the registry or private companies and leased to registrars at a higher price. Registrars then offer them to customers at a premium cost."
How can you own a word that has not been trademarked for commerce?
Registrars are record keepers.

Last edited:

Gibbs

Reaction score
ICANN is the "Owner" of all that are and to be made up domain names.
Like an apartment building owner owns all units.
REGISTRAR is the leasing company.
Like a real estate management company leases the units to renters.
DOMAINERS, you and me, only lease the domains. We do not own the domain, just the lease to them. We can sell the lease or sublet the lease.
PREMIUM DOMAINS, like an apartment building, penthouses will lease for more.
That is my opinion based on my knowledge of the domain industry, as I can check an unregistered domain through various registrars, getting various prices to "lease the domain for 1 - 10 years"
If you are wealthy, like Google, you can own your own .go name.

vrwrys

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ICANN is a governing body that regulates the industry.They do not own anything.VeriSign is the one who lease extensions(not words)to domainers or companies via the registrar.A registrar keeps records of that purchase for legal purposes. For example, your birth certificate. The Registrar does not own your birth certificate,they keep a record of your birth on file,but they will charge you a fee if you request a copy.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom